Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

List Of Long Gone Pubs In Bolton You Haved Supped In But Just Naming One.

leigh white

In my youth there were 19 pubs 3 social clubs and 1 night club in and around Athy town centre, there are now 20 pubs/wine bars/gin bars (when these 2 new ones open all round the town centre, we lost some over the years but they are being replaced with modern drinking establishments

7 hours ago, athywhite1958 said:

In my youth there were 19 pubs 3 social clubs and 1 night club in and around Athy town centre, there are now 20 pubs/wine bars/gin bars (when these 2 new ones open all round the town centre, we lost some over the years but they are being replaced with modern drinking establishments

Places that do meals too

First the side street pubs from years back went, now a lot of pubs on the arterial roads into towns and town centre pubs are closing,society has changed with the way people spend their leisure time these days, although it's nice to see places like Horwich and Athy doing well. It seems to be the pubs that are making the most effort  that are the ones most likely to survive & thrive these days - decent food,not just a nice interior also a nice outdoor space, varied drinks & food menu etc etc. 

17 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

First the side street pubs from years back went, now a lot of pubs on the arterial roads into towns and town centre pubs are closing,society has changed with the way people spend their leisure time these days, although it's nice to see places like Horwich and Athy doing well. It seems to be the pubs that are making the most effort  that are the ones most likely to survive & thrive these days - decent food,not just a nice interior also a nice outdoor space, varied drinks & food menu etc etc. 

Same with Athy, the pubs on the outskirts were the first to go meaning everybody concentrates on the town centre which is good for the pubs there  

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, athywhite1958 said:

Harwood/Bradshaw is similar. *Nab Gate, White Horse, Seven Stars, Grey Mare, *Black Swan, No Name, Conny Club, *Old School House, Crofters, *Royal Oak 

Occasionally *Lamb and Pack Horse.

* = no longer pubs.

12 hours ago, Mona said:

Queen Anne, stags head, Vulcan, lower nags head ,swan, white horse ainsworth

Don’t know if still there but I was 16 and never got questioned in any of them

White Horse in Ainsworth is still going I believe.