Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile In Atherton

bgoefc

There's also been an incident in leafy Horwich of late, some fellows of the gentry were partaking of cider at another's Manor House, probably wassailing the harvest, anyway, one took umbrage or perceived slight from another chap and beat him about the head until the constabulary arrived.

http://m.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/14764071.Neighbour_fractured_jaw_of_man_who_cracked_his_knuckles/

• Moderators

There's also been an incident in leafy Horwich of late, some fellows of the gentry were partaking of cider at another's Manor House, probably wassailing the harvest, anyway, one took umbrage or perceived slight from another chap and beat him about the head until the constabulary arrived.

http://m.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/14764071.Neighbour_fractured_jaw_of_man_who_cracked_his_knuckles/

The court was told that both men has been drinking heavily at the flat of neighbour Michael Hayes in Chorley New Road, Horwich.

Mr Flatley estimated he had drunk half a three litre bottle of cider when he went to the flat at 10pm and there was no problem until 45 minutes later when he was attacked and knocked unconscious.

no

• Site Supporter

"wassailing the harvest" just made my top ten.

Brilliant.

"wassailing the harvest" just made my top ten.

Brilliant.

How did this die out? Sounds ace!

From Wiki:

' Wassailing was associated with rowdy bands of young men who would enter the homes of wealthy neighbours and demand free food and drink (in a manner similar to the modern children's Halloween practice of trick or treating).If the householder refused, he was usually cursed, and occasionally his house was vandalised. The example of the exchange is seen in their demand for "figgy pudding" and "good cheer", i.e., the "wassail"  beverage, without which the wassailers in the song will not leave; "We won't go until we get some, so bring some out here". '

I thought wassailing had made a comeback, it's been featured on both the Edwardian (or Victorian) Farm and that Dick Fernley Whittington's River Cottage...

It must have been that as scrotes drinking White Ace in bedsits is simply unthinkable in Horwich. ;)

There's a number of other traditions that have gone by the wayside, they should be revived as most involve pissups, feasting and burning stuff ????

Edited by Youri McAnespie

The BEN usually dissapoints with a lack of pictures of the culprits.

I always have to take matters into my own hands and do a search to find pics just in case they appear within 100 yards of my home.

It looks like he would fit in well on here as he has wrapped his head in tinfoil and is shagging sheep.