Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Today's Racing

enzo gambaro

old favourite of mine out tomorrow at Thurles, Champagne Fever

I'd not be queuing up for a bet in that - the one horse with a recent run has getting on for 3 stone to find on official ratings!

I've had a bit on Relentless Dreamer in the 1.45 novice chase at Taunton. He's up in the weights with an absence to overcome but the opposition doesn't look up to much and he's got plenty of experience over fences for an in-form yard. Worth a couple of quid, I reckon.

Great race at Thurles.

No idea what to take from it, mind.

CF needs to drop back in trip, only just got home.

Lord Windermere ran a big race and wants 3m

Wounded Warrior ran well after a layoff, but a bad mistake knocked the stuffing out of him.

CF needs to drop back in trip, only just got home.

Lord Windermere ran a big race and wants 3m

Wounded Warrior ran well after a layoff, but a bad mistake knocked the stuffing out of him.

Aye, on the face of it.

The third was 20lb 'wrong' at the weights, though, and it's easier to think the first two have a long way to go to be considered owt like back to their best than to think Roi des Francs has improved past them.

Probable that the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I'd not be queuing up for a bet in that - the one horse with a recent run has getting on for 3 stone to find on official ratings!

I've had a bit on Relentless Dreamer in the 1.45 novice chase at Taunton. He's up in the weights with an absence to overcome but the opposition doesn't look up to much and he's got plenty of experience over fences for an in-form yard. Worth a couple of quid, I reckon.

Didn't want to lead people to it or away from it, but it was a good call.

I backed it last night at what I thought was a good price (11/2). 

The drift out to 8/1 was both surprising and very welcome, especially as bet365 will now pay out at 17/2.

There are plenty of horses who are backed as if defeat is out of the question only to make mugs of punters following the money, and plenty who outrun odds that had been drifting like a barge before the flag.

It always worries me more when the drift is significantly more pronounced on the exchanges.

Decent racing at Newbury today.  One Track Mind ought to win the novice chase at 1.35 if his hurdling form translates to fences, but he's not run for seven months and he's yet to jump a fence in public.  I'd rather take a big price about the outsider of the five runners, Our Kaempfer.  He wasn't too far behind the favourite on official ratings over hurdles and he's already beaten the second favourite on worse terms this season.  I'm struggling to see why he's a 10/1 chance.

I wasn't particularly taken by Ballyoptic before he fell at Wetherby last time and prefer Unowhatimeanharry to take last season's progressive form into a new campaign in the Long Distance Hurdle at 2.10.  His yard has been going well and he has a decent record first time out. 

The handicap chase at 2.45 looks fairly competitive but I've had a bit on Double Shuffle, who was well fancied at Cheltenham the other week before the ground went against him.  He should go better today with conditions likely to be much more in his favour and could be a big price at around 8/1.

• Moderators

Decent racing at Newbury today.  One Track Mind ought to win the novice chase at 1.35 if his hurdling form translates to fences, but he's not run for seven months and he's yet to jump a fence in public.  I'd rather take a big price about the outsider of the five runners, Our Kaempfer.  He wasn't too far behind the favourite on official ratings over hurdles and he's already beaten the second favourite on worse terms this season.  I'm struggling to see why he's a 10/1 chance.

I wasn't particularly taken by Ballyoptic before he fell at Wetherby last time and prefer Unowhatimeanharry to take last season's progressive form into a new campaign in the Long Distance Hurdle at 2.10.  His yard has been going well and he has a decent record first time out. 

The handicap chase at 2.45 looks fairly competitive but I've had a bit on Double Shuffle, who was well fancied at Cheltenham the other week before the ground went against him.  He should go better today with conditions likely to be much more in his favour and could be a big price at around 8/1.

took the first one without the favourite

neednt have bothered as the favourite was as good as you thought he might be

OK had a decent run but beat by a good un

thumbs up for uknowhatimean, i can eat tionight

lets see how we do with DS

Antony looks like he's got plenty more improvement in him so I'll take him for the 1.30 at Newbury at around 7/1. That makes Saphir du Rheu difficult to ignore in the Hennessy at 9/1.

The Fighting Fifth at Newcastle looks competitive despite a small field but Sceau Royal's form going into the race makes him the obvious one, though the opposition has plenty of scope for improvement and he won't be much of a price.

I like Bristol de Mai in the Rehearsal Chase on the same card at around 9/2.

I don't think I'd be rushing to oppose him.

Plenty with chances in the big handicap at Cheltenham. Village Vic could jump them daft but he'd have to be some horse to win carrying 11-12. I thought Frodon was running a decent race last time before jumping slipped his mind - he's getting lumps of weight and is worth another try at 11/1. I'd have thought Aso would want it to bucket down, and Buywise is odds on to run on for place money when the race is all but over.

I think you could chance an outsider in the novice hurdle, so I'm having a bob on Impulsive Star.

I don't think I'd be rushing to oppose him.

Plenty with chances in the big handicap at Cheltenham. Village Vic could jump them daft but he'd have to be some horse to win carrying 11-12. I thought Frodon was running a decent race last time before jumping slipped his mind - he's getting lumps of weight and is worth another try at 11/1. I'd have thought Aso would want it to bucket down, and Buywise is odds on to run on for place money when the race is all but over.

I think you could chance an outsider in the novice hurdle, so I'm having a bob on Impulsive Star.

Good shout on the 13.50, can you post earlier next week though as I'd had my bets on before you posted this!

I'm doing profit maximiser and I covered 22 races across a load of bookies today and tonight and I didn't trigger a single free bet. Fucking wounded!

When I needed a second place it won and when I wanted a win it was nowhere to be seen.