Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Footballers Abused As Trainees

Ani

Fair point but I don’t recollect anything from them and they would have played under his coaching/tutelage

Not trying to make a point or owt. Just curious as to why not much has come out from the higher profile players to have played for Crewe. Maybe I’m overthinking it all

Wasn’t speed under his coaching. Never said anything but did hang himsef.....

Fair point but I don’t recollect anything from them and they would have played under his coaching/tutelage

Not trying to make a point or owt. Just curious as to why not much has come out from the higher profile players to have played for Crewe. Maybe I’m overthinking it all

Since the abuse was focussed at 8 to 15 year-olds I think Savage and Platt would never have been involved.

Murphy had 2 uncles who were league players (Futcher twins), as well as living in Chester, so Bennell may have steered clear(?).

And yes, you are over-thinking it.

The eventual outcome is that City will shell out, say £10M and Crewe will go to the wall.

• Moderators

Surely some of them told their parents

seems they did, as when Bennell turned up at a kids match at Cheadle the parents were storming across the pitch to boot him out

so someone told someone who told someone for the stories to get that far

it seems like it was always on the radar, but not no one told the cops, or if they did, there's nowt they could do about rumours

There was indeed

Anyway, my mate who was abused by him and that helps run the offside trust has put a great statement out

See @CUnsworth1 on Twitter

He was on the news this lunchtime speaking about the verdict.

Carried himself very well despite obvious and understandable emotion and trauma.

Brave bloke.

Just shows what a different time that was. When problems like that surfaced there was no safe guarding meetings like today, folk were just quietly moved out. Only to then continue their abuse elsewhere.

The article on the beeb website yesterday re the lad at City who's now a copper. Absolutely heart breaking

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, freds dad said:

I wonder what team? I likely played in similar circles- u11s in Salford at that time. It's mental how all this goes on and you can be oblivious to it. 

Another who'll hopefully meet his justice after sentence has passed

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Dr Faustus said:

I wonder what team? I likely played in similar circles- u11s in Salford at that time. It's mental how all this goes on and you can be oblivious to it. 

Another who'll hopefully meet his justice after sentence has passed

Most of it tends to go on behind your back 🤭

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:39, MalcolmW said:

Since the abuse was focussed at 8 to 15 year-olds I think Savage and Platt would never have been involved.

Murphy had 2 uncles who were league players (Futcher twins), as well as living in Chester, so Bennell may have steered clear(?).

And yes, you are over-thinking it.

The eventual outcome is that City will shell out, say £10M and Crewe will go to the wall.

JSL

1 hour ago, Dr Faustus said:

Crewes academy were at Man Utd on Sunday (well, one team). I really can't see that club having a future. Name is tarnished, and they will end up coughing up sooner or later

but they don't have City's bottomless pockets.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...