Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Whisky

madthatter

JD isn't a proper whiskey you peasants.

Try something like Highland Park single malt.

Not a bad drop.  Would like to try the 18 but not paying £100 for the privilege.

Technically, it's a Tennessee Whiskey but would not be incorrect to call it a bourbon.  Both of which are whisk(e)ys ;)

Edited by madthatter

Some good deals about.

Waitrose you can get Bunnahabhain 12 for £28 - might see if they have any left later, one of my faves (£40+ in most places) :)

Also, can pick up Bulleit and Woodford resrve for £45 - steal!

Sainsburys doing JD single barrel at £35 too and Bushmills 10 at £27.50

Edited by madthatter

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

For anyone that's interested, some cracking deals about. 

Asda is about as good as you'll get and they have a fairly decent choice in the bigger shops.   Bowmore 12, Highland Park 12 and Old Pulteney 12 Laphroaig 10 all £25 or under.  Talisker 10 £30.

Master of Malt also have some decent festive deals going.

• 5 months later...

Good deals around at the moment if you like your Jack Daniels

Gentleman Jack at Morrisons at £26 and Tesco at £24

Also picked up a JD Master Distillers Series at Tesco - can't remember what I paid for it but it was £25 or less

Good shouts!  Those MD bottles are good value for under £25 - great with a bbq! 

Been stocking up on Ardbegs and Springbanks of late so no spare cash to take advantage.  Might have to drop some Father's day hints . . . 

I'd like to have a go at that - my folks used to do it (well, beer)

Reckon I'd get impatient though as what I'd make is guaranteed to taste like a mix of paint thinner and glue :) 

Reckon I'd get impatient though as what I'd make is guaranteed to taste like a mix of paint thinner and glue :)

Fairly comprehensive site if you want a browse, it's a bit of a rabbit hole!

www.homedistiller.org/forum/

Edited by Boo

I'll have to introduce you to a mate, it's one of his life ambitions to operate a still and/or have an orchard type source for this of his own.

After making contacts he actually went on a holiday around eastern Europe and the Balkans doing research on distilling - going out into the sticks with the locals whilst they did it.

You could pool your resources and blow yourselves up or go blind (or both) together :).

Edited by Youri McAnespie

I'll have to introduce you to a mate, it's one of his life ambitions to operate a still and/or have an orchard type source for this of his own.

After making contacts he actually went on a holiday around eastern Europe and the Balkans doing research on distilling - going out into the sticks with the locals whilst they did it.

You could pool your resources and blow yourselves up or go blind (or both) together :).

And that's why whisky is made by jolly owd Picts in the open countryside while they all dance round a bunch of barley sticks . . . 

Or not :)

Would love to run a still myself but given i almost blinded myself and two mates back in my uni days with sulphuric acid whilst doing a titration I now realise I'm too heavy handed for such delicate instrumentation

Edited by madthatter

I sHall be visiting spey side in august. Might just take in the odd distillery.

Get your orders in. :)

Don't tease me . . . ;)  

I'd love to visit the Benromach distillery, right up on the north coast (almost).  They are relatively small but make top notch whisky and do things the traditional way and, most importantly, aren't rip off merchants!  

A case of the 10/100 proof or the 15 should do it.  Ta :) 

Well, instead of the beer keg,I've come across a 18 litre burco tea urn for a tenner, but I need to adapt the thermostat first to give more controlled heat. I've got the associated plumbing and made a liebig condenser which is the same as the pic on the link. Just need to get the copper column attached to the stainless lid. A friend is providing the mash/wash side of things so hopefully in a few weeks I should have some hooch on the go.

Well, instead of the beer keg,I've come across a 18 litre burco tea urn for a tenner, but I need to adapt the thermostat first to give more controlled heat. I've got the associated plumbing and made a liebig condenser which is the same as the pic on the link. Just need to get the copper column attached to the stainless lid. A friend is providing the mash/wash side of things so hopefully in a few weeks I should have some hooch on the go.

Excellent stuff!

What are you (your mate) using for the mash and are you gonna stick it in wood after or just go full on white dog in jam jars stacked in the shed?

Always wondered how they separate the hearts from the feints.  I mean they must have a way of testing it nowadays but back in the day . . .

Edited by madthatter

Excellent stuff!

What are you (your mate) using for the mash and are you gonna stick it in wood after or just go full on white dog in jam jars stacked in the shed?

Always wondered how they separate the hearts from the feints. I mean they must have a way of testing it nowadays but back in the day . . .

Will start with a basic sugar wash which should give a base vodka type of spirit which can be then blended into the next washes. The feints can be identified normally by the smell so I would need to do lots of cuts through the run ie swapping the jars out. Heads generally smell of pear drops, the feints and tails smell of wet dogs. So, it's the tried and tested backwoods way. Just going to try and get the basics right then kick on to some nice aged whisky.

Will start with a basic sugar wash which should give a base vodka type of spirit which can be then blended into the next washes. The feints can be identified normally by the smell so I would need to do lots of cuts through the run ie swapping the jars out. Heads generally smell of pear drops, the feints and tails smell of wet dogs. So, it's the tried and tested backwoods way. Just going to try and get the basics right then kick on to some nice aged whisky.

I quite like a bit of wet dog smell in some whiskys ;) 

Sounds like good fun - I'm jealous!