The Elite Posters Music Thread

Spider

• Moderators

Dunno but the jokes about OCS in the 90s used to be along the lines of

How many members of OCS does it take to change a light bulb

However many paul weller told them to

For the record I really don't like paul weller, not sure why, just don't

• Members

Craddock is part of Weller's 'band' isn't he, even before OCS started?

Well, at least we agree on one thing monarchy related Bolty!

:D  In all honesty, I suspect we agree on plenty of things but that's no fucking fun is it you bearded, yoghourt knitting fucktard?  ;)

• Members

Dunno but the jokes about OCS in the 90s used to be along the lines of

How many members of OCS does it take to change a light bulb

However many paul weller told them to

For the record I really don't like paul weller, not sure why, just don't

I know why. He's a rampant leftie (with millions in the bank) mate.

I struggle with that too but musically, he is gifted - even though he is not that angry young man any more.

Not a massive Weller fan. Some Jam stuff, some Style council stuff, don't like the mid 90s solo albums.

But to write the songs he did at 19, then split up at the height of the Jam's fame is to be respected. Noel Gallagher isn't fit to shine his shoes in the songwriting stakes.

A fantastic lyricist as well, he documented the mid 80s for many satellite town living lads - political but based on personal experience.

• Site Supporter

Stanley Road by Weller is one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. Still listen regularly to it.

OCS are a bit meh. I suppose they're really just a band the scooterists like to herald as flag bearers for that scene (ignore the pun). Musically, 3 decent songs. There's a lot worse out there, though, so fair fucks.

• Moderators

Not a massive Weller fan. Some Jam stuff, some Style council stuff, don't like the mid 90s solo albums.

But to write the songs he did at 19, then split up at the height of the Jam's fame is to be respected. Noel Gallagher isn't fit to shine his shoes in the songwriting stakes.

A fantastic lyricist as well, he documented the mid 80s for many satellite town living lads - political but based on personal experience.

think that's where my disdain comes 

it was cool to like that album Stanley Road at uni, and i wasn't cool

I just didn't get it. Stanley Rd to me just sounded really dated and boring as I was discovering The Pixies, Dinosaur Jr, Pavement, Sebadoh,...

Just seemed a bit backward and nostalgia heavy for a man who was always used to pushing the boundaries forwards.

He seems to have regained this latterly though with Sonik Kicks and Saturns Paterns.

• Site Supporter

I just didn't get it. Stanley Rd to me just sounded really dated and boring as I was discovering The Pixies, Dinosaur Jr, Pavement, Sebadoh,...

Just seemed a bit backward and nostalgia heavy for a man who was always used to pushing the boundaries forwards.

He seems to have regained this latterly though with Sonik Kicks and Saturns Paterns.

Weirdly, I managed to absolutely adore all 4 of the bands you mention whilst also liking Weller.

I also watched Iron Maiden a few times in the 90's.

Being restricted to musical genres is for the worst kind of dullard.

Weirdly, I managed to absolutely adore all 4 of the bands you mention whilst also liking Weller.

I also watched Iron Maiden a few times in the 90's.

Being restricted to musical genres is for the worst kind of dullard.

Very true, listen to metal and loads of stuff from folk to classical, just at that time I was listening to loads of lo-fi stuff which just sounded better than a middle aged man getting metaphorically lost in a wood. Wild or not.

Sorry, for me Stanley Road is the worst kind of Dad Rock.

Do like a bit of Volbeat think I mentioned them on the old thread.

Evelyn with Barney from Napalm Death is a cracking song made better by the fact Barney now looks like Roy Cropper.

Saw them at Download 3 years ago and the other week supporting Alter Bridge at The Arena.

Last 2 albums are both excellent.

Favourite tracks.

Lonesome Rider.

Lola Montez

For Evict

Seal the Deal.

They are touring next year , but so far no UK dates.

I

• 1 month later...