Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Elite Posters Music Thread

Spider

Blur > Oasis for me too. Listen back to their back catalogues and Blur wrote songs Oasis could only dream about. Plus Oasis were massively formulaic and I started to get bored after their 1st album. Blur could switch styles and musically made Oasis look like mugs.

Plus Liam's voice sounds like a rusty car door opening and shutting. Honestly it's not a nice sound to listen to.

Pavement piss on both of them mind.

Even Damon Albarn said Oasis were a better band.

Its not even close

Its not even close

Oasis were by far the better "band".

Though musically and stylistically Blur surpass Oasis easily.

One or the other being more popular in time doesn't exactly equate to a good measure of what is/was best though does it?

Its not even close

Fair enough. Can't remember the last time I genuinely enjoyed listening to an Oasis song. Maybe when I was about 18 and listening to 'Definitely Maybe'.

Back in the day I probably would have picked Oasis over Blur just because of some misguided sense of Northern loyalty. Only as I've got older I've appreciated what a good band Blur were.

I'd rather listen to Liam and Noel chat nowadays than listen to their music.

Freakin’ Out by Coxon is better than any Blur songs for my taste

Off the top of my head End of a Century and Coffee & TV would be my faves

Oasis much harder; they may not be as musically complex or original, but at what they do, they’re much better for me - I’d struggle with a top 3

But then I was never massively into neither despite being proper into indie (as well as house) as a teen in the 90’s

Stone Roses are overhyped poop as well to be fair.

Oasis had some decent tunes but Blur were much better in my eyes. Plus with a much broader spectrum of musical styles on their albums.

I liked Definitely Maybe back in the day but everything else they've released may as well have been the same album.

• Members

Stone Roses are overhyped poop as well to be fair.

Opinions eh? I suppose the Madchester thing and the Twisted Wheel phenomenon were over hyped too eh?

Stick to Motorhead, AC/DC and Metallica pal. They have clearly damaged your head to a point where rational thought is difficult if not impossible for you.

Opinions eh? I suppose the Madchester thing and the Twisted Wheel phenomenon were over hyped too eh?

Stick to Motorhead, AC/DC and Metallica pal. They have clearly damaged your head to a point where rational thought is difficult if not impossible for you.

To young to be caught up in the madchester scene. Some of the bands from then are really good The Stone Roses are just meh in my opinion.

Big fan of the 3 bands you listed but metal isn't the only genre I like. The 2 tone scene had more impact on my musical tastes than madchester tbh.

• Members

Kinell Frank. We agree on The Smiths. Seems we agree on the 2 tone scene.

You're not becoming a Packer fan too are you? I would have to go outside and make sure that we are still orbiting the sun or have not been flipped into some weird parallel universe.

Kinell Frank. We agree on The Smiths. Seems we agree on the 2 tone scene.

You're not becoming a Packer fan too are you? I would have to go outside and make sure that we are still orbiting the sun or have not been flipped into some weird parallel universe.

No fear on the Packers front, although i'll be taking an interest in their preseason game tonight as its vs the steelers.

I completely fell out of love with the Roses afte that first come back tour.

To me, they proved that they were never ever going to be a band that did more than 1 album.

The come-back was all about money and I get that as they got ripped off first time around. But the way the rode it to death with all same music, with no new tunes was poor, and not what I fell in love with.

Im not keen on Liam & Noel doing Oasis songs tbh, but atleast they both graft and make new music.

Roses.....stunning 1 album since 1989....damn right they are over-rated.

Edited by Pablo

• Moderators

To me, they proved that they were never ever going to be a band that did more than 1 album.

The come-back was all about money and I get that as they got ripped off first time around. But the way the rode it to death with all same music, with no new tunes was poor, and not what I fell in love with.

Im not keen on Liam & Noel doing Oasis songs tbh, but atleast they both graft and make new music.

Noel does

Liam needs others to do it for him, then packs his sets full of old Oasis stuff, just to be on the safe side

That second album was only a disappointment my comparison. If 90% of indie bands had released it it would have been their finest hour. Still some great tunes on it - but their first was magical. The right people at the right time under the right circumstances producing something much greater than the sum of its parts.

I'd also argue that some of Ian Brown's solo stuff is worth mentioning in the same breath. Some of it is utter genius.

Noel does

Liam needs others to do it for him, then packs his sets full of old Oasis stuff, just to be on the safe side

For 1...he wrote some of them....but not writting didnt hurt Elvis.

Wether you liked them or not, Beady Eye wrote about 50 songs and toured those new songs for almost 3 years.

Thats graft.

Also Noels first solo tour had about 6 of his new and 14 oasis, so its down to volume of new songs.

Edited by Pablo

That second album was only a disappointment my comparison. If 90% of indie bands had released it it would have been their finest hour. Still some great tunes on it - but their first was magical. The right people at the right time under the right circumstances producing something much greater than the sum of its parts.

I'd also argue that some of Ian Brown's solo stuff is worth mentioning in the same breath. Some of it is utter genius.

I love Ian Brown solo, he grafted and was productive.

Thats all I want, my fav artists to be contributing by making new stuff. Not rehashing old stuff.