Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Elite Posters Music Thread

Spider

Now we are getting out of lockdown, the album that I've listen to the most and has got me through is John Cage's Paris 1919. 

Something about the 70s vibe make it feel warm and comfortable but the lyrics are wry enough about power, history and the role of the everyman to feel like it means something at this time.

A genius of an album.

It was cringeworthy...(Cobain's declaration of love).

The rise of Nirvana was a curious tale.

There was sommat about The Doors eponymous debut of Sky Arts last night and how 'Light My Fire' exposed them to an audience they didn't necessarily want.

Same story with Nirvana imo.

I wonder how many Dazzas and Bazzas and Karens bought Nevermind, some Docs and a plaid shirt only to soon revert to type..?

My favourite Nirvana story was Courtney Love sarciliy gobbing off at Axl Rose at some event and Rose telling Cobain "You'd better tell your bitch to shut up" and Cobain deadpanned "Shut up, bitch" and everyone assembled laughed (at Axl) - the changing of the guard.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

It was cringeworthy...

The rise of Nirvana was a curious tale.

There was sommat about The Doors eponymous debut of Sky Arts last night and how 'Light My Fire' exposed them to an audience they didn't necessarily want.

Same story with Nirvana imo.

I wonder how many Dazzas and Bazzas and Karens bought Nevermind, some Docs and a plaid shirt only to soon revert to type..?

My favourite Nirvana story was Courtney Love giving sarciliy gobbing off at Axl Rose at some event and Rose telling Cobain "You'd better tell your bitch to shut up" and Cobain deadpanned "Shut up, bitch" and everyone assembled laughed (at Axl) - the changing of the guard.

There hasn’t been a band as influential as Nirvana since Cobain rearranged his cerebral cortex all over his crack shed.

It spawned a genre and movement that still resonates today. Soundgarden were the pick of the Seattle bands, followed by Mudhoney, but Nirvana were fckin ace.

If you don’t like being forced down the stadium band route though, you just do what Radiohead have done and completely change course. Kid A came along and had all the Scuderia Radiohead mob baying for blood. 

Had he lived I think that's the route he'd have gone down...Purposeful alienation.

Couldn't imagine him churning out album after album of stadium rock and being a 'nice guy' (cough).

"Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could've been..."

I openly hated them at the time (whilst secretly liking the music) as I saw the way the wind was blowing and I didn't want a lot of the type they attracted joining 'our' side - although, going all Axl, the girls were a welcome addition.

They democratised music in a way not seen since punk. I tried and failed many times to learn a Morbid Angel or Death tune competently, but could soon knock out 'Territorial Pissings' (in secret) without it sounding like a complete abomination (of desolation).

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

You could tell the johnny and julie-come-latelys as they bought the 'Stiltskin' CD(s). They'd be into Oasis and Alanis soon enough...

It was a confusing time for many.

You had 4 genres of music touting for your custom:

Grunge

MadChester

Metal

Rave

I knew folk who would wear an Anthrax tshirt Friday night, then be on the train to Manchester sporting a Reni hat and baggy keks on the Saturday.

Was a brilliant time

Edited by Spider

True.

I had more time for someone really and truly into hip-hop or house, for example, than a 'tourist' into my main scene (before chemicals opened my ears somewhat)..

I'd often be surprised how some with all the gear for the image, you'd go around their house and they'd have about 10 LPs (I could name them too) - and they'd treat said LPs like shit.

When I used to buy and sell vinyl when the market went crackers about twelve years ago, I'd often guess (correctly) as to the condition of the records I'd be considering buying just by what the other records (the same seller was selling) were...

21 minutes ago, emus wig said:

The Screaming Trees were my fav from the Seattle scene Dust is a classic Mark Lanegan’s solo stuff is fab also . Think they were around before grunge was hip  though. 

Saw Lanegan a couple of years ago at Union Chapel. That face shows of the life he's lived, was a decent bloke and got to shake hands with him at the end, smiled and just drawled "thanks, man" nothing much but just seemed very cool.

He hated most of the Screaming Trees stuff. The solo stuff and the stuff with Isobel Campell formerly of Belle and Sebastian is right up there. I saw him on the tour he did with that guitarist from Manchester whose name escapes me now. The trouble is, unlike everyone else, I really hate Union Chapel, so spent the second half in the bar like a right ligging twat (which to be fair I was as I'd got a free pair of tickets through a mate who was working for the label)

These RnR apocryphal tales are all quite funny but the fact is Rose was a huge Nirvana fan, and despite the handbags at the MTV Video Awards, Dave Grohl is now Bessie mates and lends Axl his RAWK throne.

Also this changing of the guard thing is funny to look back on. Wasn't as simplistic as that really. Yes it killed off a lot of shit hair metal bands like Poison or LA Guns but Metallica's Black album and the use your illusions albums where two of the biggest albums of that period - despite Grunge. Hence why that sroty happened when both bands were picking up awards at MTV.

And bands like Pearl Jam were just classic rock, Alice in Chains were metal with twin vocals (Jerry Cantrell and Mike Inez have performed AiC songs with James Hetfield) Soundgarden based a ton of stuff on Sabbath and early bands like Mother Love Bone sounds very much like a funk rock band to me.

It opened up a lot of people to music that they wouldn't have listened to - Mudhoney or bands like The Pastels, but those big pop rock bands were still really quite big - I mean even Bon Jovi had a massive hit with Keep The Faith and Def Leppard's Adrenalized went to number one in the UK and the States in March 1991.

It didn't 'kill off' anything other than the dross. It changed fashion for a while, and exposed a lot of people to hitherto undiscovered underground music which was great and showed a crossover between Punk, Alternative and Metal which was great.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Saw Lanegan a couple of years ago at Union Chapel. That face shows of the life he's lived, was a decent bloke and got to shake hands with him at the end, smiled and just drawled "thanks, man" nothing much but just seemed very cool.

He hated most of the Screaming Trees stuff. The solo stuff and the stuff with Isobel Campell formerly of Belle and Sebastian is right up there. I saw him on the tour he did with that guitarist from Manchester whose name escapes me now. The trouble is, unlike everyone else, I really hate Union Chapel, so spent the second half in the bar like a right ligging twat (which to be fair I was as I'd got a free pair of tickets through a mate who was working for the label)

These RnR apocryphal tales are all quite funny but the fact is Rose was a huge Nirvana fan, and despite the handbags at the MTV Video Awards, Dave Grohl is now Bessie mates and lends Axl his RAWK throne.

Also this changing of the guard thing is funny to look back on. Wasn't as simplistic as that really. Yes it killed off a lot of shit hair metal bands like Poison or LA Guns but Metallica's Black album and the use your illusions albums where two of the biggest albums of that period - despite Grunge. Hence why that sroty happened when both bands were picking up awards at MTV.

And bands like Pearl Jam were just classic rock, Alice in Chains were metal with twin vocals (Jerry Cantrell and Mike Inez have performed AiC songs with James Hetfield) Soundgarden based a ton of stuff on Sabbath and early bands like Mother Love Bone sounds very much like a funk rock band to me.

It opened up a lot of people to music that they wouldn't have listened to - Mudhoney or bands like The Pastels, but those big pop rock bands were still really quite big - I mean even Bon Jovi had a massive hit with Keep The Faith and Def Leppard's Adrenalized went to number one in the UK and the States in March 1991.

It didn't 'kill off' anything other than the dross. It changed fashion for a while, and exposed a lot of people to hitherto undiscovered underground music which was great and showed a crossover between Punk, Alternative and Metal which was great.

Good summary that you cunt.

• Site Supporter

Anyway, I’m always bang up to date with the latest trends so am listening to Grime and knife music made by urban types from Tower Hamlets these days.

Edited by Spider

12 minutes ago, Spider said:

Anyway, I’m always bang up to date with the latest trends so am listening to Grime and knife music made by urban types from Tower Hamlets these days.

I just cruise past in my citroen grand picasso spitting the bars to Let's Get Rocked. No one fucks with me in South East London. 

Speaking of Alice in Chains.

I saw them support Megadeth at the Apollo years back.

It's strange how folk retrospectively change bills/running orders - I can definitely confirm they were on first.

We heckled them, but not as much as we heckled The Almighty.

We should have heckled Megadeth really, it was the second time I'd seen them and it just confirmed they weren't very good live.

Loud does not necessarily equal good.

I reckon' as much as 40% of my adult tinnitus may be down to Mustaine's overamplified caterwauling and screeching.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Youri McAnespie said:

It's strange how folk retrospectively change bills/running orders - I can definitely confirm they were on first.

We should have heckled Megadeth really, it was the second time I'd seen them and it just confirmed they weren't very good live.

I reckon' as much as 40% of my adult tinnitus may be down to Mustaine's overamplified caterwauling and screeching.

I liked Holy Wars.

But after half an hour of them live we fucked off back to Jabez Clegg. MuStaines voice is , as you say, a difficult listen.  Cant be easy maintaining that level of bitterness for so long.

30 minutes ago, Spider said:

Good summary that you cunt.

Ha ha - I can only hope that one of my interview questions is "was 1991 really the year that Punk broke, as seminal (but slightly overrated) US alternative band Sonic Youth proclaimed in their documentary of the same name.."

Glad you mentioned it, was discussing this very topic with some vile druggie thugs just the other day.

13 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

He's an amazing guitarist, if you like technical thrash, I don't think there is a much better band. Although Peace Sells apart they do leave me a bit cold. Hetfield's pisstake out of Mustaine's voice is great but for pure technical music mastery they piss on Metallica. Some of the riffs and time changes are nuts - doesn't always make for a great song though. 

Saw The Almighty when The Wildhearts supported them. Always been overrated, Free n Easy is just crap Brit Rock at its worst. 

Always listen to underground stuff, but its never stopped me.listening to huge bands I like. The worst kind of music wankery that.

• Members

Along with the Doors I think Nirvana are the only two American bands that would make my top ten bands of all time 

Before anyone starts Jimi Hendrix and Prince would fall into solo artists 

Fight me

Edited by Rudy