Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Elite Posters Music Thread

Spider

• Members
1 minute ago, Steejay said:

One of my top ten albums ever.

Safe From Harm...absolute perfection.

Yeah think that would be making my desert islands discs. Heligoland is an absolute belter of an album as well just let down by some dross song with Guy Garvey on it. 

3 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

I'd heard of him but never given him much of a listen till i stumbled across him doing Glastonbury in 2013

enjoyed it so dabbled with his albums - and got one of those "where has this been all my life" type revelations, though I would never have appreciated him back in the 90s like I do now

since become an obsessive fanboy including doing his books and that and went to see him for the first time in Brooklyn for my 40th

he's definitely an acquired taste but some of his more bluesy stuff is tip top

he's also pointed me in the direction of PJ Harvey, who I never fancied but am starting to again think I've been missing out all this time

PJ Harvey is a genius - Let England Shake has to be in my top five albums of all time. But Stories from the City is just mind blowing 

I also came late to Nick Cave, so I don’t have the hang ups about the early vs later stuff. I remember someone at A Level doing And The Ass Saw The Angel as her free read, what a book that is as well. Wish I’d explored his stuff earlier but better late than never!

9 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

I keep meaning to go back and delve into the trip hop I was never really into back in the day - Portishead, Sneaker Pimps, Massive Attack etc - never into it at the time but sounds great these days

oh and I forgot Nine Inch Nails from the back catalogue list, there's only them and RATM I've not seen live - one day, I hope, when all this is over, both will tour again

Rage were amazing at Leeds 2000.

NIN are shite at a festival though

Saw NIN at the Apollo in 07 and it was top stuff.

Edited by frank_spencer

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

My Mrs best mate is a massive Nick Drake fan - she’s seen him hundreds of times, might ask her about the more unexplored avenues of his music.

His online Q&A sessions he’s started doing since his son died are also so good, touching and inspired.

I've not had a proper look at his website yet, but need to spend an hour or so on there:

https://www.theredhandfiles.com/

as for other avenues - have you come across Grinderman? it's basically NC & TBS, but under a different name so they could try something different without it being compared to previous NC & TBS stuff

• Moderators

some good posts on that red hand files:

https://www.theredhandfiles.com/corona-fill-the-time/

My response to a crisis has always been to create. This impulse has saved me many times — when things got bad I’d plan a tour, or write a book, or make a record — I’d hide myself in work, and try to stay one step ahead of whatever it was that was pursuing me. So, when it became clear that The Bad Seeds would have to postpone the European tour and that I would have, at the very least, three months of sudden spare time, my mind jumped into overdrive with ideas of how to fill that space. On a video call with my team we threw ideas around — stream a solo performance from my home, write an isolation album, write an online corona diary, write an apocalyptic film script, create a pandemicplaylist on Spotify, start an online reading club, answer RedHand Files questions live online, stream a songwriting tutorial, or a cooking programme, etc. — all with the aim to keep my creative momentum going, and to give my self-isolating fans something to do.

That night, as I contemplated these ideas, I began to think about what I had done in the last three months — working with Warren and the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, planning and mounting a massive and incredibly complex Nick Cave exhibition with the Royal Danish Library, putting together the Stranger Than Kindness book, working on an updated edition of my “Collected Lyrics”, developing the show for the Ghosteen world tour (which, by the way, will be fucking mind-blowing if we ever get to do it!), working on a second B Sides and Rarities record and, of course, reading and writing The Red Hand Files. As I sat there in bed and reflected, another thought presented itself, clear and wondrous and humane —

Why is this the time to get creative?

Together we have stepped into history and are now living inside an event unprecedented in our lifetime. Every day the news provides us with dizzying information that a few weeks before would have been unthinkable. What deranged and divided us a month ago seems, at best, an embarrassment from an idle and privileged time. We have become eyewitnesses to a catastrophe that we are seeing unfold from the inside out. We are forced to isolate — to be vigilant, to be quiet, to watch and contemplate the possible implosion of our civilisation in real time. When we eventually step clear of this moment we will have discovered things about our leaders, our societal systems, our friends, our enemies and most of all, ourselves. We will know something of our resilience, our capacity for forgiveness, and our mutual vulnerability. Perhaps, it is a time to pay attention, to be mindful, to be observant.

As an artist, it feels inapt to miss this extraordinary moment. Suddenly, the acts of writing a novel, or a screenplay or a series of songs seem like indulgences from a bygone era. For me, this is not a time to be buried in the business of creating. It is a time to take a backseat and use this opportunity to reflect on exactly what our function is — what we, as artists, are for.

Saskia, there are other forms of engagement, open to us all. An email to a distant friend, a phone call to a parent or sibling, a kind word to a neighbour, a prayer for those working on the front lines. These simple gestures can bind the world together — throwing threads of love here and there, ultimately connecting us all — so that when we do emerge from this moment we are unified by compassion, humility and a greater dignity. Perhaps, we will also see the world through different eyes, with an awakened reverence for the wondrous thing that it is. This could, indeed, be the truest creative work of all.

Love, Nick x

• Members
1 minute ago, ZicoKelly said:

Did i ever tell anyone about the time he tried to twat me in the pub because he thought I was an undercover journalist?

Who Boltondiver? He’s a fucker ain’t he

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Rudy’s Message said:

You keeping me in suspense?

so

back in 2002, company I work for had it's Christmas do at the Met in Didsbury (which was also my local)

around this time, he was known for being in Cold Feet (also filmed in Didsbury) and was known to always be in the Met getting pissed up and generally being a dick - the press also kept running stories about him being a pisstank and how, amongst other things,  he pushed his pregnant mrs down the stairs in a drunken rage, stuff like that

anyway, the night we were, he was sat in the corner with his mate all night

come the end of the do, there was me, my boss and another guy left in the pub along with him and his mate

so my boss who is a fan of Cold Feet says lets go over and say hello, so we did

initially he was very welcoming and friendly and happy to chat shit - he kept wanting to talk about plays and the theatre and his upcoming projects whereas I just kept calling him Fat Bob and asking who his favourite character he played alongside Steve Coogan was (turns out it was Ron Beasley and Cheeky Monkey)

anyway, it's getting close to kicking out time, so we go to say good bye - and my boss says something like "good luck and don't let those bastards in the press get you down" - then he turns, and says "you what?", boss is like "you know the press, don't let the stories get you down" - "what stories, who the fuck are you?", starts getting aggressive

then he says to the other guy with us, who has a briefcase "what's the in briefcase" and he's like "nothing" - "FUCKING OPEN IT" to which he refuses and then he tries wrestling it off him -eventually he relents and opens it, so Fat Bob starts chucking the contents around, then picks up this plug / phone charger with a lead dangling off it

"I fucking knew it, you're recording this" then storms around the pub holding it up in his hand

by which time the staff, who are used to his pissed up rants, start to surround him and ask us to leave, at which point his mate grabs me and says "you're fucking going nowhere mate, we'll see you outside" - so it's a case of "fuck off mate, sort that dickhead out", by now he's got 5 members of staff holding him back as he's raging, foaming at the move, arms flailing and generally trying to get at us

so we all fucked off and left them to it

• Moderators

also, done the Radiohead discography, not feeling in Rainbows and King of Limbs, and to a lesser extent Moon Shaped Pool, but need to give that a few more listens

next up, Faith No More

• Members
13 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

also, done the Radiohead discography, not feeling in Rainbows and King of Limbs, and to a lesser extent Moon Shaped Pool, but need to give that a few more listens

next up, Faith No More

Haha Fat Bob that’s a class story if it would have been Gonzo he would have been rolling on the floor with him.

I love in Rainbows, 15 steps live was absolutely incredible.

You Heard Thom Yorkes solo album, The Erasure. It’s brilliant it’s even got Flea on it as well

30 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

so

back in 2002, company I work for had it's Christmas do at the Met in Didsbury (which was also my local)

around this time, he was known for being in Cold Feet (also filmed in Didsbury) and was known to always be in the Met getting pissed up and generally being a dick - the press also kept running stories about him being a pisstank and how, amongst other things,  he pushed his pregnant mrs down the stairs in a drunken rage, stuff like that

anyway, the night we were, he was sat in the corner with his mate all night

come the end of the do, there was me, my boss and another guy left in the pub along with him and his mate

so my boss who is a fan of Cold Feet says lets go over and say hello, so we did

initially he was very welcoming and friendly and happy to chat shit - he kept wanting to talk about plays and the theatre and his upcoming projects whereas I just kept calling him Fat Bob and asking who his favourite character he played alongside Steve Coogan was (turns out it was Ron Beasley and Cheeky Monkey)

anyway, it's getting close to kicking out time, so we go to say good bye - and my boss says something like "good luck and don't let those bastards in the press get you down" - then he turns, and says "you what?", boss is like "you know the press, don't let the stories get you down" - "what stories, who the fuck are you?", starts getting aggressive

then he says to the other guy with us, who has a briefcase "what's the in briefcase" and he's like "nothing" - "FUCKING OPEN IT" to which he refuses and then he tries wrestling it off him -eventually he relents and opens it, so Fat Bob starts chucking the contents around, then picks up this plug / phone charger with a lead dangling off it

"I fucking knew it, you're recording this" then storms around the pub holding it up in his hand

by which time the staff, who are used to his pissed up rants, start to surround him and ask us to leave, at which point his mate grabs me and says "you're fucking going nowhere mate, we'll see you outside" - so it's a case of "fuck off mate, sort that dickhead out", by now he's got 5 members of staff holding him back as he's raging, foaming at the move, arms flailing and generally trying to get at us

so we all fucked off and left them to it

I know someone who was mates with him about that time. He was well in to his bing (allegedly). One night he got that bad on it he was wiping his shit allover the walls of his living room!! His new name became Bobby Sands.....