Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tv Shows

L/H White

Anyone see the Ashes 2005 documentary on channel 4? It was a sort of recap of the series from the England team's perspective with lots of talking heads from that England side. 

As well as recapping that amazing series it also was quite poignant in that it really reflected on the sadness for many of those players that the 6 weeks of that series was "it" for them. They were living their dreams and some never got to do anything else at that level.

Also surprising how mentally fragile many of those England players were - Jones, Giles, Harmison.... 

Quite a weird happy/sad thing going on. 

Edited by bwfcfan5

8 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Anyone see the Ashes 2005 documentary on channel 4? It was a sort of recap of the series from the England team's perspective with lots of talking heads from that England side. 

As well as recapping that amazing series it also was quite poignant in that it really reflected on the sadness for many of those players that the 6 weeks of that series was "it" for them. They were living their dreams and some never got to do anything else at that level.

Also surprising how mentally fragile many of those England players were - Jones, Giles, Harmison.... 

I watched and enjoyed it but an hour including adverts was never going to do it justice, there's a box set doc about it in our loft that must run to about 10 hours in total.

Could have done with 2 hours or a mini series on it.

20 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I watched and enjoyed it but an hour including adverts was never going to do it justice, there's a box set doc about it in our loft that must run to about 10 hours in total.

Could have done with 2 hours or a mini series on it.

Yeah I'd have thought they could have done an hour's program for each test. Featuring the key players etc...

The bittersweet nature of it though was captured better than previous attempts I thought. I'm a bit of a sucker for those sporting moments historical reviews...like world cup memories programs. 

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

I've finished bairstows book, previously read Fowlers first one and am a third of the way through robin smiths

Still got trott and trescothick if I want to cheer myself up

• Moderators
1 minute ago, deane koontz said:

Weirdly enough I was watching some murder mystery documentary on YT the other day and it showed one of the suspects being carted away by the police wearing a blue Bolton top from the 00's 😂

Not seen the program but I've seen a pic of that years ago, presumably it's the same one, may have been posted on here once upon a time

Definitely random, some trailer trash being bundled out his caravan by the cops in this top

928a735707a71ceaa96598e03316f3e5--bolton

34 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Not seen the program but I've seen a pic of that years ago, presumably it's the same one, may have been posted on here once upon a time

Definitely random, some trailer trash being bundled out his caravan by the cops in this top

928a735707a71ceaa96598e03316f3e5--bolton

Hahaha, that's the one!

Gonna see if i can find it again pretty sure it was some place in central America

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not seen Chernobyl- is it quite an accurate portrayal of events or a loose representation to fit in with a good story?

Will watch it if it is accurate.

as far as I know it is - there was an explosion, people died

pro-Kremlin minds in Russia disagree, and plans are underway to make an alternate version where the explosion is caused by an undercover CIA agent doing some sabotage

36 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not seen Chernobyl- is it quite an accurate portrayal of events or a loose representation to fit in with a good story?

About as accurate as it can be for it to be turned into a watchable piece of 'entertainment'.

If you're arsed there's an official podcast with the writers where any inaccuracies are explained - that's very interesting too.

59 minutes ago, Widnes Two Hats said:

Chernobyl is the best thing I've watched for ages, the miners were lunatics. just on 12 monkey's now, series 1 episode 7 has lost me. Is it worth watching the 4 series?

Yeah, gets better in Season 2 and 3. 4 is a bit out there but ties it up nicely. Good little show.

4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

For an aircraft geek like me to see they used accurate versions of the airlift and transport helicopters used meant I was sold.

The podcast explains the level of detail they went to, perfect recreations of rooms that are barely seen on screen or people wouldn't know/care if they were accurate anyway but did it out of respect for the story and the victims. Really superb series and that soundtrack is something else too.

• Site Supporter

Thanks for that.

Quite fascinated by aircraft (military) myself.

Used to love coming home from school during the Falklands war and listen to John Knott telling us how many sky hawks the harriers had shot down.

Perhaps the full horror strikes a bit later, especially as you get older, but at the time, they and the Vulcans were the absolute dogs' bollocks.

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Thanks for that.

Quite fascinated by aircraft (military) myself.

Used to love coming home from school during the Falklands war and listen to John Knott telling us how many sky hawks the harriers had shot down.

Perhaps the full horror strikes a bit later, especially as you get older, but at the time, they and the Vulcans were the absolute dogs' bollocks.

Dad was in the Fleet Air Arm at the time. Didn't come home for weeks whilst they built 24 Wessex Mk5 from the spares. Sat with him on Plymouth Hoe watching them land and be loaded onto the Atlantic Conveyor. He downed a fair whack of whiskey when that went down inventing Yomping.

Shame the politics stopped the Vulcans from being allowed to take out Argentinian airfields on the mainland. Could have finished the conflict with handful of casualties.