Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tv Shows

L/H White

On 25/10/2019 at 12:59, bolty58 said:

Cheers mate. I am there.

Like me mate you were there at the time as were others on here

Enjoying the music, the clothes and the people

We are old racist fuckwits apparently

I will give those of a younger age who tell us such a tad of understanding. They weren’t there. They’ll never understand having a black mate and loving black music in those days. They’ll never understand being cornered at the back of the Burnden Paddock and being asked “where’s your fucking monkey now to protect you” by your own fans when you’ve gone against them about their racist abuse

Great days.

“I had black friends. I listened to black music. I admired black sportsmen. ”

I genuinely wish that those who throw those barbs at us had been there in those days to really appreciate what it was like at the time

Get on your Vespa, dial up some 2-tone, flip the bird at all and sundry and I’m with you in spirt

• Members
6 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

I will give those of a younger age who tell us such a tad of understanding. They weren’t there. They’ll never understand having a black mate and loving black music in those days. They’ll never understand being cornered at the back of the Burnden Paddock and being asked “where’s your fucking monkey now to protect you” by your own fans when you’ve gone against them about their racist abuse

Great days.

I genuinely wish that those who throw those barbs at us had been there in those days to really appreciate what it was like at the time

Get on your Vespa, dial up some 2-tone, flip the bird at all and sundry and I’m with you in spirt

Very succinct sir. I was watching this excellent programme this morning thinking about what was happening nearly 50 years ago and how the young preachers on here might react to realising we were 'campaigning' in our own way back then.

Not from big noting ourselves/virtue signalling/indulging in self gratification seeking the moral high ground on an on line football forum but actually doing something about it by what we wore, what we listened to and who we chose to associate with. As you rightly point out, none of this came without a price tag and battles had to be fought, often with our own older relatives.

Still, you must not forget that we 'owd, thick racists' apparently do not like brown skin.

You weren't far off mate as I was supposed to be on a scooter run today but have cried off after a heavy day/night on the piss yesterday and the fact that it's a muggy 35C today hence I am sat at home (feeling just slightly sorry for myself) watching this movie and Match of the Day. Had I gone on the run however, it is fair to say that rather than the usual Green Onions going through my head as we rode up the coast, it would likely have been Prince Busters matchless 'One Step Beyond' or King Stitts 'Fire Corner' this morning. 

KTF.

• Members
On 27/10/2019 at 05:12, MancWanderer said:

Great days.

Was thinking about the highlighted bit you typed above after seeing the Teds giving the poor West Indian lad a kicking in the film.

The Teds and Rockers used to regularly shout/call "n***** lovers" and similar at us when they were riding past and we were queueing outside soul venues. We'd just flick them the V's and dare them to pull in but they never did. The further north you went in Lancashire, the worse it got. 

Doubt they'd get away with that now but back then we'd just shrug shoulders and get on with getting to the dance floor for a bit of Diana, Marvin or The Prince.

• Members
On 26/10/2019 at 22:12, MancWanderer said:

Great days.

My old man was in the mod scene, sideburns, scooter, parka and the music, he then met my mam a woman from Jamaica, he told me how it got a bit rough being white dating a black woman especially that era, and yeah it was tough for her but tough on my dad. 
People at the time couldn’t understand it, but it taught him that skin colour really didn’t matter it, and he then learned of my mama culture, and he  then became bang into ska and reggae, and even now he still has time to jump on his lambretta to a meet, and from that I’ve embraced both cultures. It’s a shame to see people tarred with the same brush because it’s not always true.

• Members
9 hours ago, Rudy’s Message said:

My old man was in the mod scene, sideburns, scooter, parka and the music, he then met my mam a woman from Jamaica, he told me how it got a bit rough being white dating a black woman especially that era, and yeah it was tough for her but tough on my dad. 
People at the time couldn’t understand it, but it taught him that skin colour really didn’t matter it, and he then learned of my mama culture, and he  then became bang into ska and reggae, and even now he still has time to jump on his lambretta to a meet, and from that I’ve embraced both cultures. It’s a shame to see people tarred with the same brush because it’s not always true.

Sounds like a top man your dad mate. Scootering, soul and ska. The holy trinity :D

There's a few of us on here who were in our teens mid sixties to mid seventies-ish and the Mod scene down at The Wheel in particular but other places like the Bolton Palais, Worsley Civic, Big Apple were melting pots for different cultures with a passion for Afro American and Afro Caribbean music. Many of our mates were mixed race (we used a different term back then which is now apparently a no-no but back then we were fairly innocent and unaware of any insult factor) and it is indisputable that the arrival of West Indian immigrants had a huge (and positive) influence on our lives in musical, fashion and food areas.

The Lever End was the other place we congregated and despite the unfortunate chants from brain dead morons (used mainly to put the other team off playing well rather than a heartfelt insult), we were there together and often sporting much Jamaican inspired fashion (two tone clothing; pork pie hats etc.). I am sure Zulu remembers a certain incident on Oldham railway station!

The irony is that those on here forever spouting about skin colour are the ones clearly bothered by it. The rest of us don't differentiate. Speaks volumes.

On 11/10/2019 at 21:39, MancWanderer said:

Top notch isn’t it. I’ve read loads of books on The Troubles but this series is unearthing some really fascinating stuff. Episode 4 pretty much confirmed the always denied “shoot to kill” policy and why Gerry Adams didn’t  want to co-operate with the making of the programme

Fuck me I’d forgotten that the terrorist cunt had a right ugly pair of gnashers on him in the early days. Could have eaten an apple through a letter box with them 

Did you notice they’d put half a dozen extra episodes or so on October 21st mate ?

Programmes re how they made the first episode, then ones on the police, firefighters,nurses,schools etc ?

That Patrick Ryan is an even more horrible cunt (if humanely possible) on the episode  re how the series was made.

43 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Did you notice they’d put half a dozen extra episodes or so on October 21st mate ?

Programmes re how they made the first episode, then ones on the police, firefighters,nurses,schools etc ?

That Patrick Ryan is an even more horrible cunt (if humanely possible) on the episode  re how the series was made.

Both sides came out of it looking pretty despicable. An awful period that hopefully will never return.

10 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

Knew that there was one extra. Didn’t know of the others. Cheers for the heads up