Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tv Shows

L/H White

• Moderators

Challenger documentary on Netflix

Turns out it wasn't an unfortunate accident but a series of bad decisions and mistakes that could've been avoided were it not for the top dogs wanting to stick to the schedule

Think this was my first childhood memory of something bad happening in the news

Mainly because our teachers were banging on about it for days beforehand

Poor bastards

12 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

Turns out it wasn't an unfortunate accident but a series of bad decisions and mistakes that could've been avoided were it not for the top dogs wanting to stick to the schedule

Poor bastards

Watching that teacher's parents see their daughter get blown up is one of the most heart-breaking things I've seen.

• Moderators
Just now, DazBob said:

Watching that teacher's parents see their daughter get blown up is one of the most heart-breaking things I've seen.

aye

there's that split second of "was that meant to happen? ..... that wasn't meant to happen", must've been awful

then you hear "obviously a major malfunction"

not that I expect them to say anything else, but for those watching it in the control room that knew there were risks, it must've been a proper arse dropping moment

also noted that most of the people interviewed, where they showed their job title and years of service, most ended in 1986

• Moderators

just reading about it on wiki:

The crew compartment and many other vehicle fragments were eventually recovered from the ocean floor after a lengthy search and recovery operation. The exact timing of the death of the crew is unknown; several crew members are known to have survived the initial breakup of the spacecraft. The shuttle had no escape system,and the impact of the crew compartment at terminal velocity with the ocean surface was too violent to be survivable.

The intact crew cabin was seen exiting the cloud by a tracking camera after its trajectory carried it across an adjacent contrail

800px-Challenger_breakup.jpg

Enlarged detail of the previous picture, the arrow indicating the crew cabin.

220px-Challenger_breakup_cabin.jpg

that's them basically, probably still alive and hurtling towards their death

fucking grim

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

The crew compartment and many other vehicle fragments were eventually recovered from the ocean floor after a lengthy search and recovery operation. The exact timing of the death of the crew is unknown; several crew members are known to have survived the initial breakup of the spacecraft. The shuttle had no escape system,and the impact of the crew compartment at terminal velocity with the ocean surface was too violent to be survivable.

The intact crew cabin was seen exiting the cloud by a tracking camera after its trajectory carried it across an adjacent contrail

fucking grim

Define “enlarged detail” That is just an exact-same-size picture but with a yellow arrow added.

Just saying, like.

On 17/10/2020 at 20:07, Mr Grey said:

Started the first couple of episodes of S4 Homeland, I cant believe how the directors have got Carrie's baby looking like Brody .... fucking brilliant.

The end of S3 was tense and superb 👌

Finished S7 last night. Got to wait till Feb (I think) for S8. Can’t wait

• Members
14 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Anyone catch the first episode of roadkill the other night?

Could get quite intriguing I reckon.

Yep. Shows potential. Helen McCrory is a great actress. First became aware of her in North Square which was a cracking series.

Edited by bolty58

On 20/10/2020 at 13:53, ZicoKelly said:

fucking grim

Great documentary. Ended up reading a lot more on Wiki afterwards about the Columbia accident in 2003. Equally as grim, the crew weren't aware they were on the way to their deaths whilst most of mission control were well aware it was a minuscule chance of a successful return.

On 19/10/2020 at 23:51, ZicoKelly said:

Poor bastards

think i saw a documentry on this either on the bbc or summat. 

didnt one of the rubber orings on the fuel tanks  "glassify" on a cold morning and either crack or become inflexible and it caused the fuel to leak. 

here you go https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_transition

summat like that anyway. 

dunno if i watched the thing on tv, but newsround and the likes might not have been too shy with the action replays. 

there where a recent docudrama thing with william hurt playing the feynman guy, too. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, e2e4 said:

think i saw a documentry on this either on the bbc or summat. 

didnt one of the rubber orings on the fuel tanks  "glassify" on a cold morning and either crack or become inflexible and it caused the fuel to leak. 

here you go https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_transition

summat like that anyway. 

dunno if i watched the thing on tv, but newsround and the likes might not have been too shy with the action replays. 

there where a recent docudrama thing with william hurt playing the feynman guy, too. 

It went something like:

From a previous test launch they realised that if it was cold, the rubber rings could be breached

They launched in January at something like 15 degrees colder than previous launches

And the rocket was covered in icicles

But they had schedules and budgets to meet

On 20/10/2020 at 13:53, ZicoKelly said:

fucking grim

It's pretty unbearable to think about them being aware of what was going on, can only hope the extreme G forces an event like that would have put on the cabin would have made them lose consciousness long before impact. Unbearable also to think about what the people having to look inside that thing afterwards would have seen.

I've read there was some transcripts of "lost tapes" with them all screaming and praying that came out a few years later, thankfully exposed as a sick hoax.

On 13/10/2020 at 22:45, ZicoKelly said:

Enjoyed the Danish version

And I never saw the ending coming

But it was so long and drawn out, not to it's detriment, that i couldn't be arsed doing it again in American

Us version is great. Granted I haven’t seen the danish version. Series 3 was tremendous one of the most gripping things I’ve watched actually. 

shame series 4 is a short series at 6 episodes though 

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Marc505 said:

Random question, if anyone has watched the half 6 local news up there tonight are there a few of the presenters finishing up? 3 or 4 of the East Midlands lot finishing today, apparently BBC local news going down to a single presenter from now on.

Not sure, bur local radio is being ripped up

Pretty sure evening radio on the likes of manc is going to national inserts early in the new year

Real shame

Be more London centric shite

16 hours ago, Marc505 said:

Random question, if anyone has watched the half 6 local news up there tonight are there a few of the presenters finishing up? 3 or 4 of the East Midlands lot finishing today, apparently BBC local news going down to a single presenter from now on.

Cant vouch for NW but definitely case in SW. Big emotional farewell to a presenter been on for 25 years last week. One of my mates works on BBC outside broadcasting and they're having lots of cuts.