Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tv Shows

L/H White

3 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Aye.  He couldnt win.  Shows those Bremer decisions to disband the army and the Baathist party to be monumental feck ups.

Dead right, and to have to watch the cunt stand in front of the world an tell them its all rosey and going well. 

Lawless doesn't even cover it at times. I have to admit to laughing when that journo described being outside the central bank when the looters broke in, trying to break the safe with hammers. "They'll never get in that" kinda thing, til up walks a guy with an RPG and blasts it, cash raining all over. US soldiers stood doin nowt to stop it. 

3 minutes ago, boogs said:

The Mrs is trying to get me to watch Still Game with her as her mates told her it's good 🙄 I'm under the assumption it's shite comedy for old folks, with funny Scottish accents. Am I wrong?? 

Yes you’re very wrong. 

it’s superb. Watched every episode probably 5 times. Gets better and better 

On 16/07/2020 at 08:08, boogs said:

Rudy Reyes was in a brilliant series called Generation Kill about his platoon (not sure if that's the right word) being the spearhead of the invasion. I think it's made by the same folk as the Wire, they couldn't find anyone suitable to play Rudy so got him to play himself. It's a must see, brilliantly detailed and darkly humorous in places. 

I Watched All of once upon a time in Iraq on iplayer. Superb series which isn’t biased to one side. 

And yes Generation Kill is excellent as is the book. 

Edited by royal white

4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Yes you’re very wrong. 

it’s superb. Watched every episode probably 5 times. Gets better and better 

Fair enough. I had it down as the same sort of shite as Mrs Brown's bastard boys. I'll let her keep asking a few more days then give it a go maybe 👍

4 minutes ago, royal white said:

I Watched All of once upon a time in Iraq on iplayer. Superb series which isn’t biased to one side. 

And yes Generation Kill is excellent as is the book. 

Aye, but was Platoon the correct word in my sentence you quoted?? These are the things that keep me up at night and I believe you're a man in the know 😁

15 minutes ago, boogs said:

Aye, but was Platoon the correct word in my sentence you quoted?? These are the things that keep me up at night and I believe you're a man in the know 😁

Haha yes you’re right. Platoon is used by the yanks and our army. Marines (British ones) use troop. 

5 hours ago, royal white said:

Started Generation Kill again last night. I forgot how good it was. 

I re-done it last year, it is outstanding. A good few laughs in it as well, I could listen to Ray's rip fuelled ramblings all day. 😁

On 21/07/2020 at 21:58, boogs said:

Aye, it's bloody fascinating to me. Disagree with his tactics or not, cant imagine being put in the position Nate Sassaman was. Some fuckin pressure that. 

I'd never heard of Sassaman until that. The way it was going I thought he was going to be a local hero there still, but it ended up being a descent into madness. What a piece of television.

Into Episode 3 now, I knew Fallujah had been hell from what I read and saw at the time, seem to remember it being one of the first combat operations where loads of the soldiers had personal cameras on them filming and photographing everything, then the material finding its way onto the internet within minutes on sites like Ogrish and Documenting Reality. Air strikes, firefights, the lot.

As a side note, the Iraqi girl Sally, she is hot.

• Site Supporter
15 hours ago, deane koontz said:

Fear City on Netflix anyone?

Yep, I did it in one sitting.

It's fascinating stuff but in a documentary style.

It does bring to mind Goodfellas & The Sopranos & how realistic they probably were.

5 hours ago, Steejay said:

Yep, I did it in one sitting.

It's fascinating stuff but in a documentary style.

It does bring to mind Goodfellas & The Sopranos & how realistic they probably were.

Yup finished them all in one sitting, glad they had the wire taps subtitle. 

Sad how Rudy Giuliani go from DA to Mayor of NY on 911 to joke he seems to of become getting in to bed with Trump 

• Members
On 23/07/2020 at 06:04, Rudy said:

Watched little fires everywhere, on the wife’s recommendation, very good 

Oi, I want a fucking word with you. WTF? Chickflick fucking central and I'm fucking well stuck with it now cos 'er indoors loves it.

Buck up laddie.

• Members
2 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Oi, I want a fucking word with you. WTF? Chickflick fucking central and I'm fucking well stuck with it now cos 'er indoors loves it.

Buck up laddie.

😂

I refuse to watch rom coms or chick flicks or musicals 

Our Maude proper bottom lipped with we always watch you wanna watch, so a compromise was made

• Members
2 hours ago, Rudy said:

😂

I refuse to watch rom coms or chick flicks or musicals 

Our Maude proper bottom lipped with we always watch you wanna watch, so a compromise was made

😁 Aye, understand the compromise bit. Fucking hell though, over emotional, skriking flatdicks poking their noses in where they aren't wanted? Sounds like one of Crawleys 'hello ducky' team building sessions. Cig aisle!

Now then, watched three cracking documentaries this weekend. Two football ones on BT2 (Sport Films). First one -  Football Outposts - Europe (loved it. Gibraltar covered and I've had some of that so enjoyed it). Fascinated with the Faroe Islands though and to a lesser extent Kazakhstan and northern Norway. Some tough, rugged sorts out there - especially in the Faroes and Tromso.

Second one 'Golazzo - The Italian Football Story' (or summat like that). Great memories for those who attended Italia 90 and for those who developed a taste for Serie A in the van Basten, Gullit, Rijkaard, Maradona, Zola,  Gascoigne etc. years.

The last one was on Channel 5. The Flying Scotsman. As an unabashed fan of British icons and legendary British mechanical engineering, this was superb. What other (living, breathing) machine could clock up all those years of service before, after and through WW2; travel to the US and 'coast to coast' it a few times then come down under and clock up another 28,000 miles and still  be going strong back in Blighty on the heritage lines today. Makes this one proud to be British but no doubt the guilt complex crew will be along in a minute to decry the use of fossil fuels and lubricants; harsh footplate working conditions and noise pollution. Lost her green livery during the war and was painted black. I'm organising a protest about cultural insensitivity just as soon as I've finished typing.

• Site Supporter

Love some of these old locomotives, they're fookin massive and awe inspiring. Do wonder if some of them suffer from a bit of "Trigger's brush" syndrome though. 

Strangely, found ourselves on an abandoned ww2 air base earlier. Old control tower and buildings still there, as is the concrete runway etc.

Lad found a couple of pieces of thin metal and has decided they're from an old aircraft from 80 years ago!

• Members

Was a trainspotter in my early years. Regularly in trouble for sneaking into Bolton railway sheds and climbing on to footplates etc. Vague memory that the code plate for Bolton was 9D but time may be playing tricks with my memory.

Remember my old man taking me to Manchester Exchange to see Mallard and Sir Nigel Gresley in all their glory. York railway museum too.

The he took me on the The Embankment and my life changed forever. God bless him.

3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Was a trainspotter in my early years. Regularly in trouble for sneaking into Bolton railway sheds and climbing on to footplates etc. Vague memory that the code plate for Bolton was 9D but time may be playing tricks with my memory.

Remember my old man taking me to Manchester Exchange to see Mallard and Sir Nigel Gresley in all their glory. York railway museum too.

The he took me on the The Embankment and my life changed forever. God bless him.

Serious question.  When did trains stop running at the back of the Embankment? I have an image of one passing while a game was on but I only started going in the mid 70s. Did I imagine that?

• Members
2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Serious question.  When did trains stop running at the back of the Embankment? I have an image of one passing while a game was on but I only started going in the mid 70s. Did I imagine that?

Have a recollection that the Bolton to Bury line which passed at the back of the Embankment was closed under the Beeching cuts which I am pretty sure started in around 1964/65 through to around 1970?

What was the famous movie where a steam train passing along the back of the Embankment was a memorable scene?