Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

we never seem to sign any younger / mid late 20’s players from lower leagues - we always try and catch people on the way down lately? Why is that and when was the last real success story of someone using us as a springboard to greater things McAteer?

We need to find the next Andre Grey or Vardy.

Maybe given the budget we can’t risk it and the likes of Danny Graham show our intentions

Edited by onlyoneawalker

Eaves and Wilkinson almost fit your profile, I think

No I mean someone who’s had 2 or 3 decent seasons at lower level - eaves and Wilko are more like mcateer granted ..... trying think of a player we’ve bought from lower leagues with maybe 50 plus league games who’s done really well and moved on from us?? Either it’s hard to do or our transfer policies past and present means we never bother!

Edited by onlyoneawalker

Ricketts is the obvious example

Also tried it with facey when he’d had a good season with huddersfield.

Also

That lad who scored at home against Rotherham and away against Blackpool. Bit more extreme as that was in some duffers league where he was doing well.

Not keen on us having midgets in the team in all honesty, thought that we’ve struggled in recent years from being too lightweight especially in the middle of the park

However I suppose you can carry one in there if the other guys can provide the muscle

I think the championship is very physical, more so than that League 1 was anyway

My only hope is that if we do sign the Turk that we at least play him in his best position centrally, rather than try and squeeze him into the side out wide somewhere as has been the case previously when we've had "footballers" who were on the short side of midgetism (sp?).