Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

Didn’t get done in time for today. What a strike force eh, a goal keeper and basketball player

Generally, will he play?

Is he first reserve, or are going 2 big lads upfront?

Generally, will he play?

Is he first reserve, or are going 2 big lads upfront?

I think it’ll be one or the other away from home and possibly 2 up top at home I watched all his goals compilation he seems to score the scruffy penalty box type goals so he’s bit different from magennis I’ll add he also looks decent in the air.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Struggling to see a downside in getting an experienced ex-PL player for nowt on a short-deal deal.

If he gets match fit and up towards the level he's capable of, he strengthens us.

If not, we fuck him off in Jan. (and don't pay him, obvs :D )

10 hours ago, Traf said:

Struggling to see a downside in getting an experienced ex-PL player for nowt on a short-deal deal.

If he gets match fit and up towards the level he's capable of, he strengthens us.

Agree completely - its a no lose really.  Good pedigree - just get him fit !!

11 hours ago, Traf said:

I was not a fan of Ireland talk over the summer, but now, given our midfield looks relatively decent then it makes sense. Because what we clearly need is someone with more ability to break teams down in the middle of the park - or at least to keep the play moving. Ireland ticks that box IF he can stay fit. 

1 hour ago, Happy Wanderer said:

The average age of the team has risen yet again. Experience is a good thing but what about the youngsters who have the legs to run 90+ minutes. Says a lot for PP thoughts on Vela.

Luke Murphy not had a look in since start of the season as well.

Once again another level has been introduced to prevent youth coming through. Ealing? How’s he meant to get near the team now?

same with Lloyd dyer. How are youth wingers meant to get in the team when we are signing players to cover ameobi who is out for 8 weeks.

i don’t mind the Ireland signing but it once again reinforces the point that the academy should be shut down.

We have a manager (and the ultimate backing of the owners) who has shown no interest in promoting youth.

Maybe, and it is just a maybe, that there is little intention of promoting the youth to the first team unless they are exceptional

You only have to look at the likes of Chelsea and Man City who have shed loads out on loan who will never get near to the first team, but they can sell them on for a higher fee because they have come through their ranks

Maybe once we realise someone isn't going to make it, flog them to a Fleetwood or whoever because our academy is better than theirs and so make money

25 minutes ago, Eavesy said:

Luke Murphy not had a look in since start of the season as well.

Once again another level has been introduced to prevent youth coming through. Ealing? How’s he meant to get near the team now?

same with Lloyd dyer. How are youth wingers meant to get in the team when we are signing players to cover ameobi who is out for 8 weeks.

i don’t mind the Ireland signing but it once again reinforces the point that the academy should be shut down.

We have a manager (and the ultimate backing of the owners) who has shown no interest in promoting youth.

By being better than Dyer/Ireland etc....

End of the day any young player good enough will get games unless you have a really bitter manager like Dougie who leaves them out, through spite. But they've got to be good enough. 

Our supposed brightest prospect in Hall went to league one Accrington and has made 2 league sub appearances so far and started in the Football League Trophy game the other night. He's been there for 7 league games and played less than a half of league football so far. And not scored yet.

Certainly the loan will be good for him. And I'm not writing him off. But the idea that we could have used him in good faith in the championship is just being exposed as fanciful. And he was supposedly one of the best we had.....