Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

1 minute ago, enzo gambaro said:

Course you would.

He started 32 games and was on the bench for a further 10.

Was just checking & I stand corrected, thought he'd missed more games than that, but not playing in 13 out of 45 games is still a high enough percentage that I wouldn't be taking the risk. 

Though you have to question why the only gig he could was Oldham !

G

5 minutes ago, Traf said:

Wheater was hounded out?
Really?

Didn't he call a couple of strikes and then leave because he knew the best he would get from us was a 1yr deal and wanted a minimum of 

He called the strikes?  Or as the most experienced player was looked up to by the players so was only a symbolic figurehead? Wasnt Taylor the union rep. Anyway at the time i didnt blame him for striking or for leaving with best deal he could. He would run through a brick wall for this club, rightly or wrongly the only player last season who i had any bond with whatsoever especially after his celebrations after promotion and forest game. Only person to blame is King Ken

22 minutes ago, Traf said:

Wheater was hounded out?
Really?

Didn't he call a couple of strikes and then leave because he knew the best he would get from us was a 1yr deal and wanted a minimum of 2?

Not hounded out all.

Not sure if any of the rest of that is true either, though.

3 hours ago, BOWTUN BAKED said:

Was just checking & I stand corrected, thought he'd missed more games than that, but not playing in 13 out of 45 games is still a high enough percentage that I wouldn't be taking the risk. 

Though you have to question why the only gig he could was Oldham !

He wanted to stay local and clearly his championship days are over.  So he needed a Div 1 or Div 2 club within about 30 miles, who still needed a centre half in August, and presumably were prepared to make him one of their better paid players.  He's streets ahead of what we have, I've forgotten what its like to have a centre throwing their body at shots and winning all the aerial battles.  And he'll score goals, unlike any of our current defenders.

7 minutes ago, Blondi said:

After Saturday's catastrophic defending, first thing I thought about when driving home from the game was I wish We had Wheater back in defence, he'd be a solid defender for another 18 months or so for us.

Me too, I was commenting that he'd be a great signing for next season in Div 2.  If we got him earlier that would be a huge bonus.

8 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Would we not be better using Zouma/Edwards/Senior/Brockbank and giving them the experience, that would be more like building for the future rather than topping up a retirement fund.

I think we need a balanced squad with a mix of experience and youth and Wheater fits the bill for me.