Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

It seems a mystery to me that Enfield have sold their star striker, who must be under contract, for no fee?  I'm confused, I expected any "permanent" signings to be the of the unattached variety, why would Enfield let him go? 

A bag of balls going the other way.

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

It seems a mystery to me that Enfield have sold their star striker, who must be under contract, for no fee?  I'm confused, I expected any "permanent" signings to be the of the unattached variety, why would Enfield let him go? 

Maybe a clause in his contract that if a League club comes calling - he can leave?

Dunno, just thinking out loud.Seems a strange one, like you say

12 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

dont semi pro contracts work different,

to keep him they would have to offer him a pro deal to rival ours which im guessing they couldn't do

may not be true

Edited by Werder barmen

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Ani said:

Hmmm. Not the seasoned pros we need if we are fighting to stay up. 

No but nor were McAteer, Tony Caldwell, etc.

14 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The new McAteer.

Always makes me wonder, talking about Caldwell and McAteer coming from non-league obscurity to a league club, how the fuck did they remain unnoticed until Bolton come calling?

• Site Supporter

Over the moon that we have signed Ethan Hamilton, 

Used to teach him, which will be amazing to see him in a Bolton Shirt, proper good lad, and saw him training with the united youth, head and shoulders above most on the pitch with massive potential, 

Yonks ago when the 'reserves ' played at Horwich RMI's Grundy Hill  I happened to be passing & decided to spend a few minutes watching our youngsters .McAteer stood out a mile , slightly older than some but very noticably the best player on the pitch.Not knowing who he was I ambled over to the dugout & inquired as to his identity .Pretty sure it was Dean Crombie who informed me that he was a trialist from Marine called Mcateer. My comment was 'I hope we are signing him' .'We are definately' came the reassuring reply.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Werder barmen said:

dont semi pro contracts work different,

to keep him they would have to offer him a pro deal to rival ours which im guessing they couldn't do

may not be true

I'm not entirely an expert BUT... Who says he's under contract? Even if they are, it will only be until April. Fee wise in that case, you are talking four figures max. In reality, you let them go and take in on the chin.

3 minutes ago, Carlos said:

I'm not entirely an expert BUT... Who says he's under contract? Even if they are, it will only be until April. Fee wise in that case, you are talking four figures max. In reality, you let them go and take in on the chin.

Aye, I doubt it was in either party's interest for him to have been under contract.

Edited by Lt. Aldo Raine

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Aye, I doubt it was in either party's interest for him to have been under contract.

You put them under contract to stop your local rivals from offering them £20 a week more, not to deny lads their dreams.

This is all reminiscent of John McGovern's time at the club. Quite rightly folks are mentioning McAteer under Phil Neal. Caldwell is also being referenced - that was a McGovern deal. But so were two others from non league who went on to make their mark with us at roughly the same time. George Oghani (Hyde United) and Mark Came (Winsford).

This'll be a hit and miss strategy. Not all will come off. Not all will become saleable assets. But clearly the strategy is to focus on scouting and then investing in hungry young players who show promise. The caveat from me would be we need for a few experienced heads mixed in.

Edited by paulhanley

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

This is all reminiscent of John McGovern's time at the club. Quite rightly folks are mentioning McAteer under Phil Neal. Caldwell is also being referenced - that was a McGovern deal. But so were two others from non league who went on to make their mark with us at roughly the same time. George Oghani (Hyde United) and Mark Came (Winsford).

This'll be a hit and miss strategy. Not all will come off. Not all will become saleable assets. But clearly the strategy is to focus on scouting and then investing in hungry young players who show promise. The caveat from me would be we need for a few experienced heads mixed in.

Is Ray Deakin available? 😊