Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

One thing that has been on my mind regarding Hill and the rumour of him having his hands tied behind his back in January. 

Why did we give his man Delaney an 18 month contract? I’ve not seen enough of him to form an opinion, but does this show an intent of perhaps giving KH longer?

35 minutes ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

One thing that has been on my mind regarding Hill and the rumour of him having his hands tied behind his back in January. 

Why did we give his man Delaney an 18 month contract? I’ve not seen enough of him to form an opinion, but does this show an intent of perhaps giving KH longer?

Tbh i always got the feeling that FV decided to cut their cloth in January, they took the bullet and decided that survival in league 1 was impossible.

Just now, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

It could be that, but I think it's more likely that we struggled to bring players in.

I'm not sure, at that time there was a fair amount of players around, that knew that they didn't have a place in their team.

1 minute ago, leadfrog1 said:

I'm not sure, at that time there was a fair amount of players around, that knew that they didn't have a place in their team.

I know, but we were restricted to signing free agents, and there aren't many round in January, or signing players on loan, which is always difficult because clubs don't tend to want to release them until they make their own signings and also because players often wait to see if any other clubs come in for them first.

It's why we signed so many in the dying stages of the window.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, famouswanderer said:

Just seen FV are backing the salary cap.

Is it just me, or does that not bode well?

It will probably be better, for us, if there is one

2 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

It's just you, we already have a salary cap so it would level the playing field.

Correct if it comes in it’s a godsend for us for next year and until we find our feet again and start to move back up the leagues. 

9 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Are we restricted even with a Salary cap due to the embargo or will we be the same as others? 

Depends what the cap is and then how the league interpret it. But either way the cap will help 

I think our cap was 2k pw in league one.  But clubs could pay what they wanted. 
league 2 1.5k. So even if they say we are limited to 75% we would still minimize the gap between us and them

50 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Correct if it comes in it’s a godsend for us for next year and until we find our feet again and start to move back up the leagues

I love how simple that makes it sound!  Like we've hit rock bottom and there's no way we can go lower.  

Providing we've got the finances to pay top whack of a salary cap (and I'm guessing we'll be there or there abouts) surely most of your decision if you're a footballer comes down to who's the biggest draw. 

Not trying to be Billy Big Bollocks but I'm sure most neutrals would argue we're near the top of not at the top of the 'most attractive clubs to play for' in League 2? Providing the owners are solvent (which is still open to debate). 

Realise things like childhood clubs and geographic location come into play as well. But we're a relatively big fish in a relatively small pond - so I think we'd come out alright here. 

Paying a fee for Ian Evatt would send a message. Let's see if it actually happens.