Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Site Supporter

Seems like we’re trying to get the attacking side of things sorted first - the expensive salaries and players who will get snapped up. Leave the cheaper boring defenders until last.

we won’t need many defenders anyway when we steamroller everyone

7 hours ago, Blondi said:

Would anyone take Bridcutt back? He was unlucky with a couple of injuries when he played for us, but thought he was a tidy player and could fit into our new side.

It's a yes from me, a quality central midfielder imo, but never a defender as long as he's got a hole in his arse.

I would imagine he's good enough to get a gig with a Championship side though.

Love to get Verlinden back on loan, as we'll be swapping places with Stoke soon, he'd be better off with a club on the up rather than one on it's way down

Sarcevic was argyle player of the year wasn’t he? Take him in a heartbeat 

re: Doyle, can analyse his career all you want, he’s scored goals at this level as of 3 months ago. A lot of them. We’ve needed someone to get near 20+ Goals a season for nigh on 20 years. I’d rather take my chances on someone whose done it than anyone else. 

not every signing needs to be for the future. Some need to be for the now 

Edited by barrycowdrill

I’m not sure anyone is saying not to sign Doyle. I’m certainly not. I am however just pointing out his limitations. 
I hope he scores 30+ on the way to a 100 point season of course I do and would be a good solid signing as this is clearly his level. 

Hopefully a similar situation to the one Evatt himself talked about in the podcast regarding Quiqley and Rooney at Barrow, he coaxed loads of goals out of them that they hadn't previously been noted for. If he can manage to get Doyle to repeat last seasons tally we are going to be a force.

9 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

There’s very few players I’ve heard of who’ll be playing L2 next season and even less I know anything about. This Eoin Doyle fella, I’ve heard of him but don’t know a thing about how he plays and he is possibly the highest profile L2 player out there.

As long as we don’t replace Bunney with Moxey.....

Other high profile Div 2 players...James Vaughan, Nicky Maynard, James Hanson, Adam Rooney, Clayton Donaldson.  And Chris Taylor. Struggling after that, there dont seem to be many 'big' players that have dropped down in recent years.

7 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Get the feeling that the club must be expecting normal service (gates open and matches played) resumed sooner rather than later 

Unless they are signing contracts with smaller salary to start with until things get going again 

Just wondering how this all fits in with our embargo.  If our max is £1500 a week (or whatever), that's £1500 that's based on the income we must have projected when proving to the EFL that we have funds to get through the season.  Surely if the EFL want assurances that we arent going to go into admin again, our spending power is now reduced due to no guaranteed gate income for the foresseable (same applies to Macc).  Whatever we could "afford" before, we can afford less now, but we seem to be committing to relatively big wages/contracts.  If it was Ken giving out the contracts and not FV, I'd be getting very concerned, can we assume FV have got more reserves of funds than we know about?

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Just wondering how this all fits in with our embargo.  If our max is £1500 a week (or whatever), that's £1500 that's based on the income we must have projected when proving to the EFL that we have funds to get through the season.  Surely if the EFL want assurances that we arent going to go into admin again, our spending power is now reduced due to no guaranteed gate income for the foresseable (same applies to Macc).  Whatever we could "afford" before, we can afford less now, but we seem to be committing to relatively big wages/contracts.  If it was Ken giving out the contracts and not FV, I'd be getting very concerned, can we assume FV have got more reserves of funds than we know about?

Wasn’t the cap rumoured to be 2500 a week? 

7 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Wasn’t the cap rumoured to be 2500 a week? 

Thought it was £1500 per week in L2

heard a very strong rumour Doyle is done 2 year deal and £5k a week which I thought is utter bollocks. 

then got me thinking, is the cap specifically max £1500 per player or is it your weekly pay divided by the number in your squad which then cannot exceed £1500? So in theory you could pay 1 player £2500 a week and 2 others £1000

thats pretty much a salary cap in itself. Our expenditure is still the same regardless 

Edited by barrycowdrill

11 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

we can pay whatever we want as long as we are within budget. there is no cap 

Just now, barrycowdrill said:

Answered my question above. So as long as we average £1500 a week per player there can be disparity 

that is how i understand it. EFL have to approve it and we have to prove we can afford it.

Just now, Big E said:

that is how i understand it. EFL have to approve it and we have to prove we can afford it.

But we would’ve had to prove we could afford an avg of £1500 per week anyway right at the beginning? 

but upon each signing show there is still scope in that pre agreed / approved budget for it.. 

1 minute ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Get a few lads on 500 a week job done 

That’s my thinking, the Seniors and other young lads who are now part of the first team squad can’t be on much more than that so it then creates wiggle room for the ‘big’ signings