Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

I know it’s early days and it’s only 2 examples (if you exclude Crawford) but it’s refreshing that players seem to be seeing the bigger picture when signing for us. All had offers from other L2 clubs & even L1 but have seen the “project” the club and management are putting together

everyone so far wants to be here rather than rocking up because they’ve nowhere else to go

18 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

I know it’s early days and it’s only 2 examples (if you exclude Crawford) but it’s refreshing that players seem to be seeing the bigger picture when signing for us. All had offers from other L2 clubs & even L1 but have seen the “project” the club and management are putting together

everyone so far wants to be here rather than rocking up because they’ve nowhere else to go

I do agree, but I think in Doyle's case our location and the length of contract were the swinging factors.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Yes, released after playoff final, if Northampton don't rate him at league 1 level, not sure giving him a long contract makes sense.

Got to trust evatt on this. I was curious as to his availability because Rudy reckons he's too good for this league.

We'll find out I suppose. 

13 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Yes, released after playoff final, if Northampton don't rate him at league 1 level, not sure giving him a long contract makes sense.

On the Northampton forum they say he was offered a contract but turned it down, most of their fans are gutted he has gone 🤔

1 hour ago, DomRepWanderer said:

They couldn't afford to keep him apparently

31 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

They couldn't afford to keep him apparently

There will be a lot more of that.  Getting promoted from 4th tier to 3rd tier isnt a cash cow, income will hardly increase - slightly bigger crowds for the likes of Northampton, Swindon and Plymouth, but not a lot, with limited capacity in most cases and away fans not going to increase much. TV income wont increase much,  but all the promoted players will expect a nice pay rise, where does that money come from especially in the current climate?  If we only pay a fraction more than the smaller league one clubs offer we'll have no trouble attracting good players in next couple of years (assuming we've got the money).

• Members
4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Got to trust evatt on this. I was curious as to his availability because Rudy reckons he's too good for this league.

We'll find out I suppose. 

I genuinely think he is, I’ve seen him quite a few times, he would make a real difference in any L2 team, if he’s gonna take a bit of the starting XI budget I’ll be happy 

• Site Supporter
32 minutes ago, tomski said:

Anyone finding fault in what we are doing currently is a mentalist. 

Ah but there’s plenty on here not finding fault but are still mentalists. 🤪

Edited by Steejay

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I genuinely think he is, I’ve seen him quite a few times, he would make a real difference in any L2 team, if he’s gonna take a bit of the starting XI budget I’ll be happy 

Sounds good to me.

Does he pop up with a few goals from set pieces do you know?

Not been so good with them since the days of wheater and beevers. 

25 minutes ago, Rudy said:

But without knowing the budget, the restrictions and the details of the contracts we've offered, all discussions in that direction are irrelevant, surely?

• Members
45 minutes ago, Traf said:

But without knowing the budget, the restrictions and the details of the contracts we've offered, all discussions in that direction are irrelevant, surely?

I’d say so, I like the signal of intent, signings early, getting the core together. In Shazza we trust