Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I'll never trust these montage videos after the Oztumer one a couple of seasons back

3 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Or the Elmander one 

Ah, was just gonna mention Braaten...

Wilhelmson & Braaten ones looked fantastic at the time.

• Members
5 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

or the Daniel Braaten one, though IIRC that was all from on half decent performance v Real Madrid including when he did that seal header thing

4 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Braaten had shades of being great but was ultimately shite.

Wilhelmson had a blinder in Belgrade and has a fit mrs so he gets a pass.

Elmander I reckon you could a longer compilation of him putting his thumb up more than his goals, the Swedish shithouse

12 hours ago, Farrelli said:

Henshaw was ok but let’s not kid ourselves, we were very lucky to go up that year and many games were turgid. I have a much better feeling about next season but let’s see.

So many similarities to the Parky promotion season - squad of ageing and/or untalented players, never seemed to boss more than the occasional game, some dire home defeats and lack of atmosphere considering they were promotion chasing seasons, spells without scoring and then somehow stumbling over the line when other top teams seemed to bottle it.  And playing against 10 men for a chunk of a pivotal game always helps! (Wrexham in 87, Vale in the Wheater game).  And playing a team with nothing to play for on the last day was nice too, compared to the trauma of the play offs we would have faced if we'd failed.  Hoping for a nice easy journey to top 3 this year! 

11 hours ago, Ands1 said:

Didn't Henshaw come with Crombie in a deal from Grimsby.

I think Crombie ended up the better player for us.

Crombie a real class act, on and off the pitch.  Our Gudni Bergsson of the time, not in keeping which the standard of defender we had over that period.  Just read his Wiki page and I knew he had roles at the club after retiring but didn't realise he'd come back 3 times, only finally leaving in 2014.  Youth coach, 1st team coach, chief scout, academy recruitment and then head of academy recruitment.  Bit of a legend really, maybe not recognised that way as much as he should be considering he's from Lincoln, not a local lad like Darby and Phillips.

1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

I'll never trust these montage videos after the Oztumer one a couple of seasons back

Oztumer was a genuine top quality Div 1 player though.  Without checking stats, not only top scorer in the league or thereabouts (with a bottom half team) but most assists.  He'd be the one player we've signed who's montage was a reflection of what he can do at that level.  I'd have him any time in next couple of years without a doubt.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Crombie a real class act, on and off the pitch.  Our Gudni Bergsson of the time, not in keeping which the standard of defender we had over that period.  Just read his Wiki page and I knew he had roles at the club after retiring but didn't realise he'd come back 3 times, only finally leaving in 2014.  Youth coach, 1st team coach, chief scout, academy recruitment and then head of academy recruitment.  Bit of a legend really, maybe not recognised that way as much as he should be considering he's from Lincoln, not a local lad like Darby and Phillips.

My mate was yts at Bolton. Captain of town team and a seriously good player. Huge Bolton fan and was offered the chance to go down to man utd and Liverpool as a kid  but rejected to stay at Bolton

dean crombie bullied him and made his life a misery so much so that he left the club after 3 months and spent the rest of his working life working in call centers where he still is today and apart from the odd charity game with the lads has never played football again it affected him that badly  

real class act was crombie off the pitch 👍🏼👍🏼

1 hour ago, Steejay said:

Yeah the Wilhemson and Braaten one's were the first montages I'd ever seen of a player we were signing, the excitement at seeing them play was palpable!  What a let down.  Although they signed at exactly the wrong time in our Prem history, they may have done a job in the championship, Wilhemson must have had something to get so many caps for Sweden who are no mugs (despite having Elmander).

• Site Supporter

Shuts Salford fans up moaning about how much we are throwing about. I can imagine he'll be on similar to Sarcevic & Comley combined.

I like Lowe but not arsed at him going. We had a squad of players with losing mentalities - that needed replacing

• Site Supporter
16 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Politic needs to learn to run with his head if he's to go as far as we hope he can.

Darcy is a player, no doubt about it.

I agree. Plays with his head up, and seems to know where team mates are. Politic may be a bit stronger and has an eye for goal, but I like the maturity that Darcy shows even as a kid.

With time I reckon both come be really good for us.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Rudy said:

Braaten had shades of being great but was ultimately shite.

Wilhelmson had a blinder in Belgrade and has a fit mrs so he gets a pass.

Elmander I reckon you could a longer compilation of him putting his thumb up more than his goals, the Swedish shithouse

to be fair, there'd be two montages, one under Megson, one under Coyle

you'd sign him off the latter

• Site Supporter

Loyalty & commitment were never in doubt with Lowe, so lots of praise for him.

However, he's never been a game changer, rarely passes forward and doesn't move the ball quick enough.

I'm sure that Evatt would have kept him if he fitted into his style of play but the fact that he didn't speaks volumes.

Good luck and thanks for everything, Jason.

• Members
19 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

to be fair, there'd be two montages, one under Megson, one under Coyle

you'd sign him off the latter

I’d sign him off his wolves goal from different angles that’s it 

2 hours ago, Steejay said:

Loyalty & commitment were never in doubt with Lowe, so lots of praise for him.

However, he's never been a game changer, rarely passes forward and doesn't move the ball quick enough.

I'm sure that Evatt would have kept him if he fitted into his style of play but the fact that he didn't speaks volumes.

Good luck and thanks for everything, Jason.

He'll be on a few quid too. Never a game changer is probably about right - and it this level I'd be wanting a bit more from someone who's on top whack.

Lowe gave everything on the pitch and was a great servant/ambassador off it so no complaints and good luck to him.  He's the sort of player I wouldnt be against having in the squad in the championship as a defensive midfielder in a backs to the wall relegation scrap.  But if you're hoping to dominate games at the top end of any division, you have to question what he brings other than leadership and grit.  It still grates though that a genuine League One player ends up at Salford who have nothing going for them other than money and being local.

5 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yeah the Wilhemson and Braaten one's were the first montages I'd ever seen of a player we were signing, the excitement at seeing them play was palpable!  What a let down.  Although they signed at exactly the wrong time in our Prem history, they may have done a job in the championship, Wilhemson must have had something to get so many caps for Sweden who are no mugs (despite having Elmander).

Remember seeing the seal run by bratten when we signed him on you tube .

Went on to score the winner in the french cup final after leaving us