Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

3 hours ago, football_fan said:

White was good when he came in on loan to Barrow during last season last season but, as you say, you can't be sure if a player can step up a level until you see them for a few matches. However, as somebody who watched both Barrow and Portsmouth last season I would say that there isn't a huge difference between even Division 1 and the National League so I would expect White to be a very decent player for you. Although I wouldn't go as far as saying Barrow were a better team than Portsmouth I would without doubt say they were a far more entertaining team to watch with a far better style of play so I'd be surprised if you didn't get football worth watching under Ian Evatt.

Cheers - good to get that perspective.  I suppose the only thing you cant include there is a comparison of Barrow's players with the BW one's that have remained.  Did you choose to watch the 2 clubs with the most number of miles seperating them?  Southampton and Workington next season?

35 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Cheers - good to get that perspective.  I suppose the only thing you cant include there is a comparison of Barrow's players with the BW one's that have remained.  Did you choose to watch the 2 clubs with the most number of miles seperating them?  Southampton and Workington next season?

No. I only saw Bolton against Pompey once and that's not enough to make a judgement. The Barrow/Portsmouth link is because I was born in Barrow and lived there until I moved to work in Portsmouth many years ago. So have an interest in both teams. Pompey and Bolton ended up in the same boat with good teams collapsing because their owners ran out of money and ended up in the hands of charlatans. Over the years that Barrow have been in the National League I try to get to as many away matches in London and the South as I can manage even though it's been painful to watch until Ian Evatt took over and transformed the team. You've now got Tom White on loan and he's a good player who does most things well but the 3 outstanding players in the team were Rooney, Quigley and Platt and 2 will still be at Barrow next season although you might well have got Platt if you had been able to sign him permanently. Rooney was the best of all and the best midfield player I've seen in all the years I've watched matches in the National League although his record was very uninspiring before he came to Barrow and Evatt played the football which meant a skilful midfield player could blossom instead of watching the ball being hit over his head for most of the game! I wouldn't be surprised at all if you end up getting him either on loan or permanent (although Stockport have an owner with money and are ambitious) because he has the same agent as Evatt.

Edited by football_fan

• Site Supporter
35 minutes ago, football_fan said:

No. I only saw Bolton against Pompey once and that's not enough to make a judgement. The Barrow/Portsmouth link is because I was born in Barrow and lived there until I moved to work in Portsmouth many years ago. So have an interest in both teams. Pompey and Bolton ended up in the same boat with good teams collapsing because their owners ran out of money and ended up in the hands of charlatans. Over the years that Barrow have been in the National League I try to get to as many away matches in London and the South as I can manage even though it's been painful to watch until Ian Evatt took over and transformed the team. You've now got Tom White on loan and he's a good player who does most things well but the 3 outstanding players in the team were Rooney, Quigley and Platt and 2 will still be at Barrow next season although you might well have got Platt if you had been able to sign him permanently. Rooney was the best of all and the best midfield player I've seen in all the years I've watched matches in the National League although his record was very uninspiring before he came to Barrow and Evatt played the football which meant a skilful midfield player could blossom instead of watching the ball being hit over his head for most of the game! I wouldn't be surprised at all if you end up getting him either on loan or permanent (although Stockport have an owner with money and are ambitious) because he has the same agent as Evatt.

This is good insight and sounds genuine, thanks.

• Members
9 hours ago, Andy Gee said:

Are we trying to appease the BLM by signing Blackman? We signed White earlier in the week so now we have to sign a Blackman for equality. 

If Ebony and Ivory isn’t used for their compilation video, Shazza out

I was trying to find any player with the surname coon but failed. There’s basketball players and American footballers with the surname but seemingly no proper football player. Although I suppose we have had a basketball player at centre forward...