Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

3 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Only goal was wigan I think 

Aye, wasn't that the only game he was played as a striker too?

He's very highly rated and must be a good player to be in and around the Spain squad, but his goal record in the last 5 years is distinctly  average. Be interesting to see how he does at Leeds.

My recollection of that goal, on a freezing night with no atmosphere, was a scrambled effort.  Watching that video, it was a class build up and goal.  Mark Davies, what a natural talent, and Rodrigo too.  Playing players out of position gets right on my nerves, what a waste of Rodrigo's time coming here, and if he'd been used correctly we'd have made a few million that might have staved off some of our financial troubles.

13 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

My recollection of that goal, on a freezing night with no atmosphere, was a scrambled effort.  Watching that video, it was a class build up and goal.  Mark Davies, what a natural talent, and Rodrigo too.  Playing players out of position gets right on my nerves, what a waste of Rodrigo's time coming here, and if he'd been used correctly we'd have made a few million that might have staved off some of our financial troubles.

Wasn't he on loan?

19 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Aye Davies was a class talent with a lot more potential under the right manager. 

7 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Aye Davies was a class talent with a lot more potential under the right manager. 

According to norris episode on the under the cosh podcast mark davies was often on a bender around town so it sounds a lot like he pissed away a better career with less injuries as well.

12 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Wasn't he on loan?

Fair point, you're right.  I just got the impression at the time we could have kept him (ie signed him permanently) if we'd wanted, its not like any other club was desperate to have him, and he went to Valencia on loan as well.  Whatever the circumstance, we definitely didn't get the most out of him.

I thought Rodrigo was criminally underused and never got a chance up top, despite starring for Spain U21s.

I remember it being rumoured that he was to start up front before the Stoke game, and I was all for it.

Instead we had an isolated Klasnic, who could hardly move on a big pitch and barely touched it.
Not knocking Klasnic, I was a massive fan of him, and he deserved to start after scoring in several rounds. Just something I wonder about in hindsight. An quick unknown quantity who could’ve made a difference.

And let’s not forget Elmander in centre mid.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

I thought Rodrigo was criminally underused and never got a chance up top, despite starring for Spain U21s.

I remember it being rumoured that he was to start up front before the Stoke game, and I was all for it.

Instead we had an isolated Klasnic, who could hardly move on a big pitch and barely touched it.
Not knocking Klasnic, I was a massive fan of him, and he deserved to start after scoring in several rounds. Just something I wonder about in hindsight. An quick unknown quantity who could’ve made a difference.

And let’s not forget Elmander in centre mid.

Yeah our problems that day weren't about who was up top