Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

36 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Local lad as well.... I think, remember when he came on v Cov, his whole family were buzzing, if he's good enough, get him in, surely lads like him and Regan Riley cannot do any worse than some of these we have on our books, also they will play without fear and plenty of enthusiasm, we are missing that mix.

Lockett is another Marple lad like our new loan signing from Hudds. So maybe not Bolton local but from one of our strongholds 😎🏼

Seems he’s been our standout u18 so far but to be expected as he was the young’un picked in that Cov match 

From what we’ve seen he isn’t ready physically for 1st team contention with us right now, but that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be coveted for the future - here or elsewhere.

Wouldn't surprise me if vultures surround our young stars as we are in div 4 and that’s what happens, but he ain’t about to go and rip it up somewhere else at our level or above right now

7 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Fair points, but the players we have now aren't ripping up trees, a couple of rookies with no fear could bring out the best in others, the older experienced lads would thrive off it and vice-versa, and they'd gain valuable experience.

Something will have to give sooner or later and if it's another season in L2, I'd take that gamble now, there ways football is at the moment, it's worth the risk and weve got fuck all to lose.

He (and others) played in the Sherpa Van this season and showed they aren’t ready 

• Site Supporter

Would be nice to tie some of the promising lads down to pro contracts but surely that can wait until summer with brass being tight.

I don’t fancy losing another batch of players for peanuts if they are going to be any good. They are the long term key to stability which I suspect business people like FV already know

• Members
1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

Would be nice to tie some of the promising lads down to pro contracts but surely that can wait until summer with brass being tight.

I don’t fancy losing another batch of players for peanuts if they are going to be any good. They are the long term key to stability which I suspect business people like FV already know

I have faith that Shaz and co are more clued up and are a bit more business savvy for the interest of the club.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Unless they are shite

• Members
35 minutes ago, marple whites said:

Under 18s got knocked out to Rochdale in that youth alliance.

like jules said, too big a jump at this stage into the first team for our under 18s

unless exceptional, they will get battered all over the place by seasoned division 4 players

You have to be exceptional as an 18 year old to make the leap in any league but this league even exceptional ability isn’t enough 

13 hours ago, Alf Hartigan said:

piss take, that is, bet the lad is well miffed too.

Was on bench for FA Cup 3rd round, its 4th round on Saturday, no doubt he'll be an unused sub for that too while they rest some of their 1st team.  Luton pay him and can use him how they want but it must be frustrating for players just used for making the numbers up.

12 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Fair points, but the players we have now aren't ripping up trees, a couple of rookies with no fear could bring out the best in others, the older experienced lads would thrive off it and vice-versa, and they'd gain valuable experience.

Something will have to give sooner or later and if it's another season in L2, I'd take that gamble now, there ways football is at the moment, it's worth the risk and weve got fuck all to lose.

Not disagreeing with the gist of what you're saying, but we've got our league status to lose if we go on another losing run.  We're keeping our heads above water for now but if we get even 10% worse those recent draws would have been defeats and the fixture list says that run isnt going to end soon without an improvement.

52 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Not disagreeing with the gist of what you're saying, but we've got our league status to lose if we go on another losing run.  We're keeping our heads above water for now but if we get even 10% worse those recent draws would have been defeats and the fixture list says that run isnt going to end soon without an improvement.

The fixture list doesn't concern me. We've shown we can play well against the teams up near the too, just as we've seen we can play terribly against those at the bottom.

Our result are very much down to how well or how poorly WE play rather than how good the opposition are.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

and if we got just 10% better?

• Site Supporter

Sooner or later any hope of going up will disappear. Surely wanging one or two on the bench, even for 5 minutes at the end won't do any harm to our overall chances, and might help keep them on board.

Even giving them a contract as soon as we can- at least we might be able to make some money when they go.

Looking at the business as a whole, and not relying on us going up immediately, we might have to look at these lads in the next year or two to supplement the experienced players.