Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

23 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Perhaps some of the players have deliberately let their contracts run down because  they want to move for whatever reason. 

We cannot buy expensive players- we've been told already that we will be living within our means- so expect more wheeling and dealing.

Of course we could just stick with Comley et al.

Or could be that clubs are having to cut their cloth accordingly having had little income coming in over the last year and reducing squad sizes 

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Or could be that clubs are having to cut their cloth accordingly having had little income coming in over the last year and reducing squad sizes 

Some of those more well known players on that list are certainly going to have to review their demands for sure. 

1 hour ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Well good enough; both a risk that paid off. Clubs get rid because they believe the players are crap or too expensive. Championship players who are good will be too expensive and we don’t want to take chances with crap or injury prone again

You do realise its League One we have been promoted to, not the Championship or Premier League?? Dont you think that someone who isnt good enough for a club in a higher league, may actually do a good job for us 

30 minutes ago, 1969 said:

I know it's twitter but rumour has it we've agreed terms with Declan John

That's coming out of Swansea ... who are otherwise busy preparing for the pjay offs. 

He's always been leaving, just a matter of where to. 

Feckin' cast-off.

Interesting to cast an eye over the retained list of clubs in the Championship and upper reaches of League One. There are some players there who are quite eye-catching but the common theme is they are very often in the 29-32 age bracket. If you over invest in lads with that profile you end up with problems 18 months to two years down the line and there's no re-sale value. Kieran Lee is a current example of the type I mean in our current squad. A great player but you need a sprinkling of lads like that not a team full of them.

I reckon we will end up with something like 8 or 9 new players this summer (not counting Dapo and Declan John). Two or three of those should be the type mentioned above. Hopefully the remainder will be cases of creaming off top talent from League 2 who definitely would have re-sale value and a couple of good loans with the potential to be converted in to permanent deals.

I think Evatt is doing his homework and sustainability will be a big theme.

• Site Supporter
19 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

They are offloading them because they are too expensive or shit. For that reason I am out

17 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Well good enough; both a risk that paid off. Clubs get rid because they believe the players are crap or too expensive. Championship players who are good will be too expensive and we don’t want to take chances with crap or injury prone again

RUR2R, surely all of the above is exactly why we have players/agents negotiations.

Player/agent - I want £5k a week like I was on at my last club.

IE - We won’t pay you that and neither will they. That’s why you got released

P/A - well what will you pay me?

IE - £3k a week

P/A - I think I’m worth more

IE - well good luck finding more but if you walk out of this office without agreeing £3k then it’ll be £2k when you come back. Take it or leave it.

That’s how it works isn’t it?

30 minutes ago, MickyD said:

RUR2R, surely all of the above is exactly why we have players/agents negotiations.

Player/agent - I want £5k a week like I was on at my last club.

IE - We won’t pay you that and neither will they. That’s why you got released

P/A - well what will you pay me?

IE - £3k a week

P/A - I think I’m worth more

IE - well good luck finding more but if you walk out of this office without agreeing £3k then it’ll be £2k when you come back. Take it or leave it.

That’s how it works isn’t it?

Pretty much agree with this...If a player was on 5k a week and was the teams star man he could renegotiate his contract, but if he is average at best then he should expect his next contract to be a lot less

We rid ourselves of boring financial talk. First summer when no one has clue (me included) what budget we will have and we have hypothetical contract negations being negotiated on here. Won’t be a long summer. Happy to let Evatt get on with it and do what he needs to do.  

These are all contracted for next season...

3 Gordon
4 Williams
5 Santos (2 seasons)
7 Delfouneso
8 Comley
9 Doyle (2 seasons)
10 Sarcevic
16 Greenidge
17 Darcy
22 Politic
25 Thomason
26 Edwards