Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

12 hours ago, Mantra said:

Would rather go for Paul Mullin personally. Out of contract according to transfermarkt website.

This is probably a gross oversimplification but Pigott is a big lad 1.87m. Haven’t got a clue on his play style but I’m assuming he’s a Target man. Which to be fair, considering our lack of goals from set pieces may be useful sort of player to have in the squad and offer something different.

Mullin being 1.77m however, 31 goals, in a lower league yes, but may be more in keeping with a “to feet” approach. I’m sure Cambridge’s playstyle was similar to ours.

I disclaimer myself with the fact that I’ve not seen either of them play much so I could be chatting shite but on the surface I’d rather have a more nimble, run-the-channels-type striker than a big man.

We’ll probably sign someone out of left field though. Thought it was good that no one saw that Johnston signing coming. Got some confidentiality in transfer dealings it seems!

Did I imagine it that Evatt or Hill complained at one point about stuff leaking out of the Bolton camp that he didn’t want people knowing about?

I’ve not seen much of either of them too but at 6ft 2in I think Pigott could be the more useful in both boxes. Our main problem up top last season was not having someone to hold the ball up and allow the Doyle’s, Sarce’s and others to get forward, plus we always looked vulnerable from corners in our box and never looked dangerous from corners and free kicks when attacking. A bit of height would help both.

I think we now need a keeper, left back and another forward...............Hope John signs at l/b

Would then make getting a quality keeper and forward in, even if we pay top wages to get them.

Piggott or Jay  would do on a free Jethcott  fee paid or someone like Ellis Simms at Everton on loan.

Keeper try and get Cheltenhams keeper who was on loan from West Brom Josh Grittiths only 19 but looks class

or Portsmouth keeper who was released despite being player of the season for them.

• Members
35 minutes ago, 1969 said:

According to nixon if we don't get John,Max Clarke is the target,25 years old played for Hull

I’d check the sky myself if he told me it was blue

Edited by Rudy

Well, John is a good player. Championship qualty for sure, and I'd like him here.

He knows us, but may have other options. Salary, personal life and geography will have an influence too but I'd guess Evatt has a drop-dead date and won't wait forever.

They'll know this, between them.

It does, starkly show, the difference between Chamionship & League one if a player of his ability can be discarded. I assume there are others in a similar position.

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

I’d check the sky myself if he told me it was blue

Good point, I take everything with a pinch of salt regarding nixon but on this occasion a few more are saying the same thing 

The is a player in Clarke, but the fact that he never played a league game last season because of constant hamstring issues should set alarm bells ringing.

He would only come as back up and play if and when needed

• Site Supporter

Curious about John; his comments at the end of last season didn't overly suggest he saw his long term future here, nor the fact that nothing has happened yet, compared to other players. 

Of course he's perfectly at liberty to take his tums and see what materialises, but sooner or later you start to think about his potential commitment. 🤔

I thought the same green jacket, he’s never actually indicated he’d come back long term and I’d hate for him to be using us as a last resort in case nothing better comes up. I’m confident IE wouldn’t allow that to happen, no matter how good John might think he is though to be fair, there will be a king sized drop in salary if he does drop down.

Would be great to sign John but didn’t think he was as good as everyone made him out to be. Thought Ben Jackson was equally as good, but Evatt said DJ was the best LB in the division so it was good for Jackson to learn off him so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyway not trying to criticise DJ, just not that arsed if we don’t get him. Was solid and dependable and had a good cross on him but I’m sure we could identify a competent replacement. 

If DJ signs I’d imagine he’d be one of the top earners on our wage bill, unless he takes a huge pay cut. I think that money could be better spent elsewhere.

Not every position has to be a contracted player anyway, could sign a classy LB on loan again and I’d be happy with that too.

• Members

We don’t owe John anything and he doesn’t owe us anything, he played his part in getting us up and we played our part getting him game time 

He’s too good for L2 and should be competing in a top L1 team so if we aren’t the most attractive outfit for him then thanks and all the best. 

Still confident he’ll sign like 

• Site Supporter

I like John and he'd be one of the top 3 LB's in L1 next season.

Maybe he's waiting to see the level of ambition in our signings before putting pen to paper.

Surely Scouse George and Sheehan will help make his mind up.

Evatt won't be held to ransom though either in terms of money or time. Rightly so

I got the impression we were just a stepping stone for John, it worked for him and us too, he's decent but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he joins another club, Ben Jackson would be a decent replacement if he's available.

• Members
33 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Was talking to a Swansea fan yesterday and they never rated DJ. Thought he started well but not arsed if he doesn’t join the L1 champions 

Fuck him off then 

It was hard to judge the full backs too much defensively last season because of the complete lack of decent wingers and pace in the opposition.  I never really felt like they had to be good defensively to prove themselves, it was always about could they pass accurately, cross well and generally get forward.  There may be a bit more defending against pace and skill in league one, relatively, and I don't know if John is decent in that role, no strong feelings either way if he signs.

10 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

It was hard to judge the full backs too much defensively last season because of the complete lack of decent wingers and pace in the opposition.  I never really felt like they had to be good defensively to prove themselves, it was always about could they pass accurately, cross well and generally get forward.  There may be a bit more defending against pace and skill in league one, relatively, and I don't know if John is decent in that role, no strong feelings either way if he signs.

We kept more clean sheets than I can remember 2nd half of last season!!!!