Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Mantra said:

Scroll down that, and have a look at Caitlin, the Newport fan- well worth a trip to South Wales. 

Also, look at Burnden's link, another one Esme!

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

Assuming we stick with a Midfield 3 got great competition

MJ v Tutte

Lee v Sheehan

Sarcevic v Thomason

Crawford v Comley

OK, maybe not the last pair, definitely getting moved on.

but 6 players competing for 3 places, plenty of cover and should all push each other but also a good mix of experience and youth.

Just now, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I think Lee, Sheehan, and Thomason will be competing with each other rather than Thomason competing with Sarce.

Aye, didn’t mean it as like for like. Just paired them up visually and as close as possible but I agree with you. 

All the midfielders offer something slightly different anyway.

MJ is clear winner for the physical and defensive attributes but also has a good range of passing.

Tutte is composed and calm and keeps the tempo ticking over, works hard and gets tackles in.

Lee has a great first touch, passing accuracy. Experience and decision making also key to his game. Classier than the previous two on the ball but less defensively minded.

Sheehan, yet to be seen but from his highlights looks like a deep lying playmaker with some great technical attributes and not shy of getting forward either.

Sarcevic brings leadership as well as goals and aggression. Adds bite to the midfield.

Thomason, youthful exuberance. Box to box. Nice left foot, decent passer and tackler. Bit of an all rounder, see how he develops as he gets older.

• Site Supporter
45 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Aye, didn’t mean it as like for like. Just paired them up visually and as close as possible but I agree with you. 

All the midfielders offer something slightly different anyway.

MJ is clear winner for the physical and defensive attributes but also has a good range of passing.

Tutte is composed and calm and keeps the tempo ticking over, works hard and gets tackles in.

Lee has a great first touch, passing accuracy. Experience and decision making also key to his game. Classier than the previous two on the ball but less defensively minded.

Sheehan, yet to be seen but from his highlights looks like a deep lying playmaker with some great technical attributes and not shy of getting forward either.

Sarcevic brings leadership as well as goals and aggression. Adds bite to the midfield.

Thomason, youthful exuberance. Box to box. Nice left foot, decent passer and tackler. Bit of an all rounder, see how he develops as he gets older.

You play FM21 dont you.

• Site Supporter

For me, MJ is an absolute shoe in to start if fit and I’d be pretty surprised if Sarce isn’t too.

I reckon Sheehan will be the link player between the 2 and Lee a good sub to bring on to see games out.

I can see Thomason getting more game time wider this season, a Foden type of role but that will largely be as sub. He’s still young and inexperienced, IE will let him develop slowly again this season, grow into the higher division.

injuries might scupper all this or I could just be talking crap

That midfield looks strong now (although with the exception of Sarcevic its not overflowing with goals). I'd say we'll be looking to loan out Darcy on the strength of what we have in stock. 

The signing of Johnston means we are fully stocked in central defence as long as Delaney signs a new deal (sorry if he has, I've lost track). We need two left-backs because Gordon isn't good enough and we need a goalscorer and maybe even two strikers overall. 

Very impressed with the area of the market we're looking at - players in their mid-20s who are clearly already well thought of and have scope to improve further. Good well-planned stuff and a proper transfer strategy for the first time in a long time at BWFC.

I've mentioned Gordon already and others have said that a big thing this summer will be to see the back of Comley, Greenidge etc. Get space in that squad and increase quality overall.

We can see good progress and also know the areas still in need ... my concern though is that 11 months on & we (myself included) are getting a bit 'HMS Piss the League' again, at a better level.

I see the progress & have a belief that we should be up there challenging & it's feasible, clubs DO achieve double promotions.

After February our form was so far & away the best in that league that we can easily feel we have a mid-table outfit already. Get left back, keeper & striker sorted, surprise a few with high quality loans on top & we should be fine.

I'm just still a bit scarred by last season's August to January experience. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

We can see good progress and also know the areas still in need ... my concern though is that 11 months on & we (myself included) are getting a bit 'HMS Piss the League' again, at a better level.

I see the progress & have a belief that we should be up there challenging & it's feasible, clubs DO achieve double promotions.

After February our form was so far & away the best in that league that we can easily feel we have a mid-table outfit already. Get left back, keeper & striker sorted, surprise a few with high quality loans on top & we should be fine.

I'm just still a bit scarred by last season's August to January 

Think many of us got carried away last season with Evatt coming in Sarce & Doyle signing then the sheer number of signings. There were signs tho some werent up to it looking back. Also we needed about 20 players to get a squad together. 

This time feels different, the new manager has got his style sorted the players buy into it we have momentum going and the quality of signings since January is a level above now. No more Norwegian third division players or Fleetwood loans.

Think its us who will catch a few teams cold at the start this time so hopefully our start wont be a problem

I think MJ had the biggest impact of all the January recruits, and really rate him!

However, why would Blackpool let him leave if he is all that?? So I do have a nagging doubt he may not be as effective in L1 as we all seem to think he will be???

I don’t have any worries about MJ Jimmy and don’t care why Blackpool let him leave, or why Wednesday let Lee leave, or Swindon Sarce and Izzy. They’re ours now and most players benefit and raise their games from the other players around them. IE is building a team and if he can just get in at least one good striker but preferably two of different types, then I’m confident we will be challenging. Half of the teams in L1 are no better than most in L2 so even with the squad we had we should have been looking at top half but with these new signings we should be at least challenging for the play off positions.

3 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I'm just still a bit scarred by last season's August to January experience. 

I get what you're saying, but I reckon we'd beat Accy if we played tomorrow (yes, I know what happened last time!) and they finished just 7pts shy of the play-offs.

In a season last like season, they missed out on the play-off by 0.15pts per game. It's doable

4 hours ago, paulhanley said:

That midfield looks strong now (although with the exception of Sarcevic its not overflowing with goals). I'd say we'll be looking to loan out Darcy on the strength of what we have in stock. 

The signing of Johnston means we are fully stocked in central defence as long as Delaney signs a new deal (sorry if he has, I've lost track). We need two left-backs because Gordon isn't good enough and we need a goalscorer and maybe even two strikers overall. 

Very impressed with the area of the market we're looking at - players in their mid-20s who are clearly already well thought of and have scope to improve further. Good well-planned stuff and a proper transfer strategy for the first time in a long time at BWFC.

I've mentioned Gordon already and others have said that a big thing this summer will be to see the back of Comley, Greenidge etc. Get space in that squad and increase quality overall.

That's my concern.  As good as the others are in their own roles, they aren't influencing the goals column.  I was expecting more from Lee based on his record, but zero assists and poor shooting ability so far.  MJ doesn't look to assist, never mind score, that's not a criticism its just his style.  Thomasson slightly more forward thinking but no track record yet.  Sheehan is obviously a quality player and a good signing but looks very deep lieing and only scored twice last season in a top 6 team.  Arthur and Crawford aren't going to be in the team and weren't regulars last season but still contributed more goals/assists (13) than everyone except Doyle, Sarce, Fonz and Jones.  That gap needs to be plugged, the signings so far don't address it.  We need more goals potential from somewhere - Politic is my hope but it may be an optimistic one given we don't know if he'll be part of the regular XI.