Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

Argyle fans saying slow as fuck but a very good one on one defender. He was part of a back three last season that shipped 80 goals which is absolutely shocking but was let down by a few inexperienced centre backs next to him apparently. The way I look at is he's probably 4th choice & his resume looks pretty good for a supposed backup CB whilst also being at a good age where he should be coming into his best years. He's labelled 5'10 which is on the shorter side for a CB but he looks to have a few goals in him from set pieces which is a much needed dimension in which we need to add this upcoming season. Like others in our squad he's had three promotions with Blackpool, Bury & Plymouth for L2 so should has some winning mentality. On top of it I cant see how he could be worse than Delaney in our system & style of play

I remember his Grandad Paul Aimsom who was a useful lower divisions goalscorer with Bury and York City among other teams. Paul Aimson's parents ran a corner shop in Macclesfield and Paul sometimes worked behind the counter and you could have a football chat with him Those were the days..

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Williams is limited, as was Pratley.  Different players, both with great attitudes.  Pratley had a goal in him as you say but I expected a few more than his 12 in all the time he was here.  Good engine, covered most of the pitch in most games.  Williams doesn't threaten the opposition box, much more defensive minded but far better at winning possession, DP gave away too many free kicks and fell over a lot.  Williams far more consistent at keeping possession, and a better range of passing too.  Neither tick enough boxes to be championship standard for me, but more than happy with either in league one. 

Pratley joined us after being Swansea’s key man in their promotion season from the Championship and he was our best player in the Championship in our first year back down.

So at more than one point he was plenty good enough at that level 

3 hours ago, jules_darby said:

Pratley joined us after being Swansea’s key man in their promotion season from the Championship and he was our best player in the Championship in our first year back down.

Johnny in talking bollocks shock 

2 hours ago, jules_darby said:

I could be wrong but I thought he was being edged out at Swansea, on the bench for the play off final, they had the likes of Leon Brittan, Joe Allen, Nathan Dyer, Scott Sinclair (and Dobbie!).  Either way I was expecting more goals than he delivered.  I thought Chris Eagles was our best player in that championship season followed by Spearing and Alonso but its just opinions, I've nothing against an honest player like Pratley, just thought he was limited but he's not on his own there.

8 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I could be wrong but I thought he was being edged out at Swansea, on the bench for the play off final, they had the likes of Leon Brittan, Joe Allen, Nathan Dyer, Scott Sinclair (and Dobbie!).  Either way I was expecting more goals than he delivered.  I thought Chris Eagles was our best player in that championship season followed by Spearing and Alonso but its just opinions, I've nothing against an honest player like Pratley, just thought he was limited but he's not on his own there.

He wasn’t edged out due to performances; he’d refused to sign a new contract, til then he was arguably their best player - certainly key

And he was admittedly limited, but folk forget all the good he did. Same was happening with Muamba til the incident in all honesty. 

48 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

... edged out .... Same was happening with Muamba til the incident in all honesty. 

Yes, Coyle treated him disgracefully as a player. His substitutions, often prempting a game turning negatively, or benching him after good performances were lunacy.

I've wondered sometimes if fitness & energy levels dropped in the lad & were a sign of issues to come but I'm blessing Coyle with more nouse than he was capable of.

Despite St. Owen getting a lot of plaudits after the medical emergency, Muamba had come to seriously dislike the man and in his book says he was going to leave if Coyle continued to mess him about.

7 minutes ago, hughmungus said:

Season after next maybe back into League One after our first relegation 

You wouldn’t fancy a friendly charitable wager on us not being relegated would you? £50 to charity of your choice if we get relegated and like wise to charity of my choice if we stay up? Put your balls & opinion on the table. 

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

You wouldn’t fancy a friendly charitable wager on us not being relegated would you? £50 to charity of your choice if we get relegated and like wise to charity of my choice if we stay up? Put your balls & opinion on the table. 

I'll take that as well if it's going?

13 hours ago, SirNatsDog said:

Glad to see the sites back up but why can’t you look at previous pages, or am I doing something wrong? On Aimson, could IE have signed him with defensive midfield in mind as I understand he has played there before?

the current page number appears as part of the web address url. Simply overtype the next or previous or any page you want to directly in there

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Arthur has signed for Morecambe. 

I feel less unpleasant toward them now Adams has moved. Well ... a bit.

I'm certainly pleased Arthur has found employment. Always nothing less than an honest, hard working player.

Bit of treck for him now though, its at least four buses