Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

Pretty much every player at every club is for sale at the right price.

Not sure Dortmund wanted to lose their best striker to Arsenal and so on. These things happen.

We should wait until we at least know how much we're getting and how we're replacing him before going a bit mental.

"I'm never going again, blah blah blah" Well, fuck off and don't go again.

I’m thinking that the likelihood of relegation is greater without Madine therefore it does matter, regarding salary if he is offered double which I doubt then we’ve only got to pay it for 4 months it protects our asset and a successful end of season could enhance his value.

This isn't true though is it. We've got to pay it for the length of his extended contract, not just 4 months. His value could rise and could equally plummet if we get relegated or he gets injured or he stops scoring or he twats someone again etc. We've been pretty good at playing wages we can't afford to players we can't move on.

Not sure Dortmund wanted to lose their best striker to Arsenal and so on. These things happen.

We should wait until we at least know how much we're getting and how we're replacing him before going a bit mental.

Mate anyone saying i’m Never going again has already stopped going.

I would prefer him to stay but £5 m plus for him for a club in our position is good business. We are bottom three with him so no guarantee of staying up if we keep him.

But if we do not sign a decent replacement it is just like giving up.

Edited by Ani

If it were a footballing decision where the bid was just too good to turn down and we had a plan for properly re-investing into the team, then fine. But the thing that sticks in the craw is that we know the move has been engineered to pay bills.

I'm sure we'll sign some loans, but where does that leave us in the summer? Our squad is getting weaker and weaker and there is no end in sight given come next year we will need to be repaying the blumarble debt.  At some point you can't keep flogging your best players to pay short term bills without serious consequences all round. I think we're at that point now. I get that the priority has to be keeping the club afloat. It doesn't make it any more palatable.

We all know that real fans will continue going even if they say they won't. I didn't mind selling Clough because I always felt whether he truly made it or not was up in the air and we needed the cash. Selling Madine in the summer would be entirely fine. We'd get a bit less but at least we'd have our top scorer (by a mile) for the season to give us a chance. Selling him on the 31st January is just depressing. 

Numbers are wrong, mate.

He's younger

He's got longer on his contract

PNE aren't skint.

Think it might be best for all rational people to turn their devices off for the next few days and let the hysterical ball bags make suicide pacts and stab each other with broken bits of season ticket.

Go through this season. How many games has he won for us?

Scored that goal that changed a DRAW to a WIN

He's scored in all but one of our wins. 

Our last two the single goal. Not sure what your point is. Who are we going to rely on? Nobody else is scoring. 

Think it might be best for all rational people to turn their devices off for the next few days and let the hysterical ball bags make suicide pacts and stab each other with broken bits of season ticket.

I've sharpened the corners of mine overnight.

Chungy in behind Alfie, Vela next to Henry (wouldn’t mind Cullen back, too), and opportunities for Derik, Earing and Hall to come into a team more set up to suit.

Maybe.

How do we get the ball forward? 90% of our attacks start picking up second balls from Madine from long Alnwick kicks or Wheater and Beevers punts. We have nobody in midfield comfortable on the ball so we can't open teams up through midfield. Its exactly what happened when Madine was out last season. Nobody could make it stick up front and the midfield isn't good enough to deal with that. 

How do we get the ball forward? 90% of our attacks start picking up second balls from Madine from long Alnwick kicks or Wheater and Beevers punts. We have nobody in midfield comfortable on the ball so we can't open teams up through midfield. Its exactly what happened when Madine was out last season. Nobody could make it stick up front and the midfield isn't good enough to deal with that.

Part of the reason we can’t get it forward is that we’ve no link between back and front - Chungy would give us that.

Derik will be a more effective player if more emphasis is placed on football, Burke wants to pass the ball (jury’s out on how well he does it), Cullen would give us options but looks less likely to come back.

Folk were asking similar questions last season but we found a way to accommodate Alfie and Morais to great effect.

Besides, what’s to say we’ll have to find the whole solution from within - there’s a long day ahead.

Whatever happens, I’m not having it that there’s no life after Madine.

Part of the reason we can’t get it forward is that we’ve no link between back and front - Chungy would give us that.

Derik will be a more effective player if more emphasis is placed on football, Burke wants to pass the ball (jury’s out on how well he does it), Cullen would give us options but looks less likely to come back.

Folk were asking similar questions last season but we found a way to accommodate Alfie and Morais to great effect.

Besides, what’s to say we’ll have to find the whole solution from within - there’s a long day ahead.

Personally think its very tough losing your top scorer in this league. They're like gold dust. If he was just a target be no issue. But when he's scored the majority of your goals too.....

• Moderators

agreed

but i still think it makes it more difficult to stay up

clough was different as i always thought we could replace him, mainly as it wasnt long after chesterfield  :)

agreed

but i still think it makes it more difficult to stay up

clough was different as i always thought we could replace him, mainly as it wasnt long after chesterfield :)

All depends on the replacement

Until we know about that it’s conjecture either way. Let’s see where we are this time tomorrow

Edited by jules_darby

All depends on the replacement

Until we know about that it’s conjecture either way. Let’s see where we are this time tomorrow

Hard to imagine us replacing him with a striker in similar form. The issue for me is we haven't got time for someone to get going. By then it'll be too late.