Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Us bending the rules to start the season. Cancelling games, giving teams an advantage by playing the kids and now playing others with a proper team etc etc 

Isn't that what you are supposed to do during a transfer window - strengthen the squad?

Quick guide to the new signings. 

• Verlinden is a direct Belgian winger signed on loan from Stoke. Still a teenager, he has only featured six times for the Potters in the league, while he played twice for St Pauli’s second team while on loan in Germany two seasons ago, playing in that country’s fourth tier.
  •  Bridcutt seems to have got a lot of fans excited. An experienced defensive midfielder, he has played over 170 games in the Championship for Brighton, Leeds and Forest, and drops down into the League One for the first time since 2011, when he played for Stockport. He is on a loan deal from the City Ground.~
  •  Buckley needs no introduction, being with us for the last two seasons, but was out of contract in the summer. Keith Hill gave him his debut while at Rochdale, so hopefully a combination of a manager who knows him well and the division we’re now in will lead to us seeing what he can do.
  •  Wright can play centre-back or left back. A loanee from Sheffield United, Wright didn’t a lose a game he played for the Blades in their League One winning campaign in 2016-17, but injuries stopped his career progressing at Bramall Lane, and with them now in the Premier League, he was hardly going to get a look in.
  •  Ali Crawford might make some of those whinging Doncaster fans combust. He signs ‘permanently’  – but his contract is only until the end of the season. The Scotsman played over 200 games for Hamilton, before making 36 appearances last season as Donny made the League One playoffs. He’s mainly a midfielder, playing on the left or centrally, but isn’t known for scoring goals.
  •  O’Grady is now 33 and has had a long career. It looks as though he’ll be mainly a squad option, given both his age and his recent scoring record, which to be honest is far from spectacular. He played under Hill during the manager’s first stint at Rochdale.
  •  Emmnauel arrives from Ipswich – the right back has League One experience having loan spells at Rotherham (winning promotion) and Shrewsbury in the last couple of seasons.
  •  Bunney is a left-back, who has played for Hill at Rochdale. He was last at Northampton before being transfer-listed in the summer.
  • Murphy is probably the highest-profile of the new arrivals. The downside is he is now 36, but his recent goalscoring record at Championship level has been okay. It’s the first time he has dropped down to League One, and may still have something tangible to offer.

1 hour ago, Mantra said:

Matthews;

Emmanuel, Wright, Hobbs, Bunney;

Bridcutt, Lowe;

Verlinden, Buckley, Politic;

Murphy.

or 

Alnwick;

Brockbank, Zouma, Edwards, Earl;

L. Murphy, Darcy, Weir;

King-Harmes, O’Grady, Brown.

Not our that into any order just whoever I thought of first.

That defence will be bouncing with the bunney Hobbs.      

7 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Fucking love the fact a few of those we've signed today have cancelled their contracts just to play for us.

Is that something you can only do in the transfer window? Or could we see more players cancelling their contract just to come to us on a free? 🤣

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Is that something you can only do in the transfer window? Or could we see more players cancelling their contract just to come to us on a free? 🤣

Don't see why not. You can sign free agents any time. I think. 

I'm very confident Hill and Flitcroft will quickly make us hard to beat, though I doubt we'll be avenging our heavy defeats or dishing out drubbings any time soon. Bridcutt is probably the "best" player but I'm very much looking forward to finding out what we can get out of Ali Crawford. Wright will be the defensive organiser, I presume, and Murphy will ensure we play more football in the opposition half than we have been recently. We're competitive again, we're focusing on football, and it feels fantastic.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I think it's more that they agreed mutual terminations of soon-to-expire contracts in order to play football. But of course it's good that they want to come here.

Aye, but they could've just sat around until their contracts expired. I'm just in a good mood, so probably being overly positive about today's events. 

Edited by Cheese

Just now, Cheese said:

Don't see why not. You can sign free agents any time. I think. 

We can still sign free agents but they'd have had to have cancelled their contracts prior to the closure of the most recent transfer window to play for a new club before January. So if they haven't cancelled their contracts already, it means they're staying where they are.

2 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I'm very confident Hill and Flitcroft will quickly make us hard to beat, though I doubt we'll be avenging our heavy defeats or dishing out drubbings any time soon. Bridcutt is probably the "best" player but I'm very much looking forward to finding out what we can get out of Ali Crawford. Wright will be the defensive organiser, I presume, and Murphy will ensure we play more football in the opposition half than we have been recently. We're competitive again, we're focusing on football, and it feels fantastic.

I'm intrigued by the reaction of Stoke fans to us loaning Verlinden, hopefully he's a good'un

• Site Supporter
Just now, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

We can still sign free agents but they'd have had to have cancelled their contracts prior to the closure of the most recent transfer window to play for a new club before January. So if they haven't cancelled their contracts already, it means they're staying where they are.

Ah OK. Cheers for clarifying.