Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

1 minute ago, Farrelli said:

I’m buzzing with what Evatt has done so far. Last time we were in D4 our star Summer signings were journeyman forward Trevor Morgan and past it Jeff Chandler.  This time we are getting young footballers with loads of potential. Can’t wait to see the new team. 

John Thomas was also signed for the 4th Division season he was  a better striker than Morgan,.If i remember correctly Chandler wasn't past it when he signed but broke his leg against Wigan in the League Cup at the start of the season and wasn't the same player after that.

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I’d go along with that. Not sure Darcy would necessarily get more football elsewhere, while I expect Politic would be coming off the bench most weeks. 

I know I'm being previous even having this discussion, all sorts will happen before we get settled on a regular team, but Politic and Darcy are miles too good to be on the bench in Div 1 never mind Div 2.  I'm just over protective of "2 of our own" because I'm desperate to see them make it, and when they do move on, that we get biggish fees, not for them to slip away in 12 months looking to be regular starters.

Anyway lets see what happens I'm just over thinking it as usual.

15 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

John Thomas was also signed for the 4th Division season he was  a better striker than Morgan,.If i remember correctly Chandler wasn't past it when he signed but broke his leg against Wigan in the League Cup at the start of the season and wasn't the same player after that.

Chandler was very good player at league 2 level. Wouldn’t Mind a modern day chandler now. 

37 minutes ago, Blondi said:

Just curious where Politic might fit in under Evatt? Looks like 3 in midfield with 2 wingbacks, but thought Politic is more of an out and out winger? 

Definitely not a winger for me, even though he can fill in there.  Hill tried to play him anywhere but his best position, which is down the middle, either centre mid driving forward, or off the main striker taking shots from the edge of the box and committing defenders into fouls/pens.  Wasted out wide, its not like he's got the delivery of a Morais or Verlinden.

2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Chandler was very good player at league 2 level. Wouldn’t Mind a modern day chandler now. 

Yes, he was an exciting signing for a 4th tier club as was John Thomas . Recall he broke his leg that night Bobby Campbell won the tie for Wigan and he didn't return till the last home game of the season, went on as a sub and scored in a big win v Colchester.He played for us in the 3rd Division the season after and was still a reasonable player but the injury had slowed him down.Thomas meanwhile was excellent for us in DIv 4 and Div 3 getting himself a move to 2nd Div West Brom.

7 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Yes, he was an exciting signing for a 4th tier club as was John Thomas . Recall he broke his leg that night Bobby Campbell won the tie for Wigan and he didn't return till the last home game of the season, went on as a sub and scored in a big win v Colchester.He played for us in the 3rd Division the season after and was still a reasonable player but the injury had slowed him down.Thomas meanwhile was excellent for us in DIv 4 and Div 3 getting himself a move to 2nd Div West Brom.

Great finisher Thomas, one on one with keeper he rarely missed. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

24 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Take your point re Thomas but we are recruiting footballers with potential to improve and that is chalk and cheese to Rob Savage and Trevor Morgan.

29 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Agreed, at the time Morgan, Thomas and Chandler up front with Steve Thompson pulling the strings in midfield was great for Div 4.  Had Darby, Stevens, Storer, Winstanley,  Scott, Savage and Sutty that season too, that's a team who spent most of their careers above Div 4.  It was still dire to watch though!

7 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Agreed, at the time Morgan, Thomas and Chandler up front with Steve Thompson pulling the strings in midfield was great for Div 4.  Had Darby, Stevens, Storer, Winstanley,  Scott, Savage and Sutty that season too, that's a team who spent most of their careers above Div 4.  It was still dire to watch though!

Darby and Winstanley came slightly later didn’t they? Sutton, Savage and Scott were all at home in D4. Stevens was rarely seen due to the aforementioned Morgan. 

9 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Darby and Winstanley came slightly later didn’t they? Sutton, Savage and Scott were all at home in D4. Stevens was rarely seen due to the aforementioned Morgan. 

Darby made his debut in the snow against Blackpool in 85/86 so he must have been around the first team squad two seasons later, can't remember too much of him in Div 4 though.First recollection of Winstanley is his 30 yarder v Wrexham in 88/89.

Another signing the summer of the Div 4 season was Gary Henshaw. He scored on his league debut and did ok for us

27 minutes ago, Ands1 said:

I think Chandler did his knee ligaments falling awkwardly.

I'd love a winger like him now or a Mark Gavin, did anyone rate him?

Probably right about Chandler, it was a long time out for just a broken leg.Gavin won a league game at Wigan for us one season and looked a great prospect but he was in the relegation squad and time was right for him to move on.He played 100 times for Bristol City later in his career so  did well for himself

8 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Darby made his debut in the snow against Blackpool in 85/86 so he must have been around the first team squad two seasons later, can't remember too much of him in Div 4 though.First recollection of Winstanley is his 30 yarder v Wrexham in 88/89.

Another signing the summer of the Div 4 season was Gary Henshaw. He scored on his league debut and did ok for us

Henshaw was ok but let’s not kid ourselves, we were very lucky to go up that year and many games were turgid. I have a much better feeling about next season but let’s see.

24 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Henshaw was ok but let’s not kid ourselves, we were very lucky to go up that year and many games were turgid. I have a much better feeling about next season but let’s see.

Didn't Henshaw come with Crombie in a deal from Grimsby.

I think Crombie ended up the better player for us.

• Members

Cheers all for the good wishes. It would be an honour and a privilege to buy (most of) you a pint if and when the opportunity arises.

I promise not to try it on once I've got you tipsy.

Now then, to the matter in hand. I can't remember feeling this positive and optimistic about BWFC for a very long time. Not getting carried away. Enough to say only that we will be up there and challenging. If we happen to be 15 points clear next Easter, I might be a bit more positive still.

3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Cheers all for the good wishes. It would be an honour and a privilege to buy (most of) you a pint if and when the opportunity arises.

I promise not to try it on once I've got you tipsy.

Now then, to the matter in hand. I can't remember feeling this positive and optimistic about BWFC for a very long time. Not getting carried away. Enough to say only that we will be up there and challenging. If we happen to be 15 points clear next Easter, I might be a bit more positive still.

It definitely has a special feeling at the club right now. Hopefully it lasts. it is ace not dreading twitter announcements 

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Farrelli said:

Signing Andy May on loan for that right hand side won us promotion that season.

I still have nightmares about that January night in Halifax. It must compare with the infamous 0-0 with Derby. Didn’t go to that Derby game so not sure which was worse

2 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Signing Andy May on loan for that right hand side won us promotion that season.

I still have nightmares about that January night in Halifax. It must compare with the infamous 0-0 with Derby. Didn’t go to that Derby game so not sure which was worse

Never mention that game again. I still think it gives @tomski bad dreams

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Or the Elmander one 

or the Daniel Braaten one, though IIRC that was all from on half decent performance v Real Madrid including when he did that seal header thing