Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Members
1 minute ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Fair points mate

I’m not one for using the embargo as in this league money is rarely used for transfers it’s made up of loans & freebies and the salary cap is the same for everyone

i certainly feel more positive with the latest signings but for me we need to see a rapid improvement in all areas of the pitch 

I think we’ve probably learnt a lesson, making the move up from non league to league rarely works, experienced league players have a higher probability of working 

• Site Supporter

The 2 signings certainly seem to plug the most urgent of positions. I think they’ll take a few games to get up to speed but their pedigree suggests they’ll still be at least as good as the majority of contemporaries in L2 while they get there

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

i certainly feel more positive with the latest signings but for me we need to see a rapid improvement in all areas of the pitch 

Yes I’m in agreement with this pal. As fans we all want to see the same thing. 

Improvement on the pitch is going to be the key indicator of IEs success.

How rapid that is will determine whether this season becomes one of sustainability to lay the foundation for next season, or one to kick on and get promotion.

Let’s hope it’s the latter with these signings being extra pieces to the jigsaw which make the difference.

2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I think we’ve probably learnt a lesson, making the move up from non league to league rarely works, experienced league players have a higher probability of working 

But then you look at Taft and comley for example plenty of experience in league 2 but it hasn’t worked out 

• Members
13 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

But then you look at Taft and comley for example plenty of experience in league 2 but it hasn’t worked out 

So maybe we went ugly early. Hands might have been tied had so many positions to fill and only had limited resources. 
we can still attract relative good players. Think we are getting there 

12 minutes ago, desperado said:

Yes I’m in agreement with this pal. As fans we all want to see the same thing. 

Improvement on the pitch is going to be the key indicator of IEs success.

How rapid that is will determine whether this season becomes one of sustainability to lay the foundation for next season, or one to kick on and get promotion.

Let’s hope it’s the latter with these signings being extra pieces to the jigsaw which make the difference.

I think John & Lee, with more from Kioso, are good additions for whatever will remain of this season. Unfortunately I was similarly enthused back in August, so will view it as 'promising' rather than allow myself to get carried away this time.

The more physical, holding, centre forward and a proper keeper now. I'm remain in dread of the inexperienced keeper rumoured earlier this week, but let's see.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

remain in dread of the inexperienced keeper rumoured earlier this week, but let's see.

Don’t be mate. Not every young keeper will be a Crellin. Reading around this one seems to be very well thought of, and I don’t just mean by Fleetwood, but by (yes I hate to say it) Utd in and around prem circles. IF he comes, he deserves a chance and support, not to be immediately compared to BC cause of his age. 

6 minutes ago, Rudy said:

So maybe we went ugly early. Hands might have been tied had so many positions to fill and only had limited resources. 
we can still attract relative good players. Think we are getting there 

Hopefully mate 

4 minutes ago, desperado said:

Don’t be mate. Not every young keeper will be a Crellin. Reading around this one seems to be very well thought of, and I don’t just mean by Fleetwood, but by (yes I hate to say it) Utd in and around prem circles. IF he comes, he deserves a chance and support, not to be immediately compared to BC cause of his age. 

Jussi was 22 when we signed him.

36 minutes ago, Traf said:

Jussi was 22 when we signed him.

Seemed a bit of a fluke that we got Jussi.  In Colin Todd's book he said he went to Scandinavia to look at some players and JJ happened to be playing in an U21s game, not like he went to see him.

Reading the book (about 15 years after it was written), when McFarland got sacked, without looking it up can anyone remember who Todd brought in assistant manager?  I'd completely forgotten about this bloke, left after 5 months following a drink driving charge.

2 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

The 2 signings certainly seem to plug the most urgent of positions. I think they’ll take a few games to get up to speed but their pedigree suggests they’ll still be at least as good as the majority of contemporaries in L2 while they get there

What about a new goalie?

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, tomski said:

This is the bit I don’t get. Everyone seems convinced Phoenix wasn’t great but this seems to be based on nothing.

At the moment Evatt hasn’t shown me he’s the man yet either. Hopefully he does and I’ll be the first to apologise questioning him on here.

I’m not convinced one way or another as to how skilled or unskilled Phoenix was at picking potential players. Because of this, I used the term ‘perhaps’ to indicate me not being sure either way.

I just hope that IE on his own is better that an IE/TP amalgamation. Standard of players signed in this and future windows should perhaps be the proof.