Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Foreign Aid Budget

bgoefc

I know its the Daily Mail but its seems to be a factual story. Surely its time to reign this in and spend it on our own needy? There are probably many more instances of similar waste that sees this money going into the pockets of the rulers of these bent regimes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4095882/Britain-scraps-5million-foreign-aid-Ethiopia-s-Spice-Girls-Mail-revealed-blood-boiling-waste-taxpayers-money.html

I read that earlier, I'm not so sure this "girl band" have really received £4M

I do agree that we should be taking a closer look at who we give aid to, and ensure its spent appropriately

Edited by Sweep

• Site Supporter

Whilst we are giving succour to many refugees and asylum seekers, and our NHS and social care is on its knees we should be putting the money where its needed here.

Ffs oaps have paid into system all their lives being fucked over because of a lack of services. A disgrace.

There are benefits from foreign aid

But I guess that the biggest benefit was to assuage the gulit of the centre left intelligensia

But, we are currently borrowing billions and some of services (health, care) are under sever pressure.

It wouldn't send a great signal to the world, post the vote to leave the EU, but we can use a chnk of funds better here.

I read recently that we had run out of ideas for the aid anyway

• Moderators

Whilst we are giving succour to many refugees and asylum seekers, and our NHS and social care is on its knees we should be putting the money where its needed here.

Ffs oaps have paid into system all their lives being fucked over because of a lack of services. A disgrace.

Don't worry we will soon have an extra £350m all week to do just that

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Charity begins at home. Aren't some international hysterical types saying there is a 'humanitarian disaster' occurring in the NHS?

The perfect excuse to stop sending (or at least reduce the amount of) funds to all corners of the globe and improve the situation in the UK.

When I'm keeping a customer happy I sometimes take them out for a meal or give money to their nominated charity.

In return it keeps a relationship friendly and productive.

Multiply that by a zillion and there's not really much difference.

• Site Supporter

When I'm keeping a customer happy I sometimes take them out for a meal or give money to their nominated charity.

Once that's done you pay taxes.

That funds our society. If were struggling a bit some of those funds from taxes should be used here not sent overseas.

If your company was to start struggling, you'd look at unnecessary expenditure.

I've just had a look, and apparently we send 0.7% of our GDP out as foreign aid.......I suppose what somebody would need to work out is, if we were to knock that on the head, how much would it affect our total GDP.

Is foreign aid, not actually just a way of buttering up other governments/countries in order that they'll trade with us?  

I've just had a look, and apparently we send 0.7% of our GDP out as foreign aid.......I suppose what somebody would need to work out is, if we were to knock that on the head, how much would it affect our total GDP.

Is foreign aid, not actually just a way of buttering up other governments/countries in order that they'll trade with us?

That's it surely. I'm sure if we stopped sending ought and spent it here it wouldn't make a dent.

Also surely it would be massively stupid to do this just we are about to leave Europe and try to get trade deals with pretty much the whole planet.

• Site Supporter

We may as well close the borders, stop trading with folk and become completely insular. After all, it's not done North Korea much harm eh.

Why?

We stopped some of India's aid not long ago: a nuclear country with a space program.

Its common sense; use it where its genuinely needed, and ensure it doesn't find its way to corrupt individuals.

Don't have to get rid entirely, but use the wasted money in house.

• Moderators

Fuck knows, a few months ago we had one of the strongest economies in the world, now it doesn't look like we have anymore. Maybe it is time to cut back, on that basis. But previously, clearly we were doing something right. Now we've been voted out of the EU by a load of old people and layabouts, fuck knows. Welcome to Farage's Britain.

Read last week we get more money from the third world in debt repayments and owning companies who extract natural resources from them then we give in aid.

That can't be true. Everybody knows we are a soft touch, mugs, get taken for a ride, etc etc

Very few people object to Foreign Aid per se...just this stupid arbitrary target (% of GDP) that Cameron & Osborne stuck in as part of their 'de-toxifying' strategy.

If we identify worthy foreign aid it should be done on its merits, not to meet some silly target. They couldn't even give enough money away in the last parliament. 

Vastly increasing this budget while printing/borrowing money and making cuts in the name of 'austerity' is obscene from a so-called Conservative government. 

He's not wrong. We've took most of the world out for meals for well over a hundred years. For that pleasure we let them buy our toys that blow things up. Sir Humphrey Appleby says its good for the economy and it keeps the natives onside. Edited by Underpants

• Site Supporter

Very few people object to Foreign Aid per se...just this stupid arbitrary target (% of GDP) that Cameron & Osborne stuck in as part of their 'de-toxifying' strategy.

If we identify worthy foreign aid it should be done on its merits, not to meet some silly target. They couldn't even give enough money away in the last parliament. 

Vastly increasing this budget while printing/borrowing money and making cuts in the name of 'austerity' is obscene from a so-called Conservative government.

Agreed