Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mortgage

Winchester White

• Site Supporter

My mortgage is up for renewal soon so have got my mate who is an IFA to look about for me. So, best deals available to me are cheaper than I am currently paying which is good but not sure to go for a 2yr, 3yr or 5yr. Obviously the 2yr is cheapest with the 3yr £28pm more and the 5yr another £30pm on top of the 3yr. Thinking that interest rates can't stay so low forever but the 2 and 5 year rates equate to 700 quid a year. Decisions decisions...

• Site Supporter

Can you make overpayments without penalties?

If so, the shorter one would allow bigger overpayments which would reduce your debt and also repayments.

You can continually review your options, but can't see interest rates going up massively anyhow. Brexit round the corner- are they going to rock the boat just yet?

• Site Supporter

I can make 10% over payments without penalty.

I like the idea of a fixed payment as it is just an amount going out each month and you forget about it. I know the best option is to pay as much as you can afford each month but let's be honest who really does that when you have a busy life and a family etc?

• Site Supporter

I can make 10% over payments without penalty.

I like the idea of a fixed payment as it is just an amount going out each month and you forget about it. I know the best option is to pay as much as you can afford each month but let's be honest who really does that when you have a busy life and a family etc?

We've always overpaid as much as possible; its done by standing order so can alter it easily on the internet if you're having a tight month.

By paying as much as I can, you know what's left and live within it. Had to make sacrifices but now paid over 40,000 of it by overpaying. Long term this will massively reduce overall amount paid back.

Will reap the benefits in around five years when its all gone.

If interest rates are higher then, then saving a little will be better.

• Site Supporter

Lock in for 5 years

Much less downside

Do you see rate rises in this time frame?

Im talking from my own experience but would consider a fixed one if I felt rates were going to go up a fair bit. I've looked occasionally, but on balance sticking with my base rate + two percent, and freedom to overpay what I want has been good. Particularly with being self employed, monthly take obviously varies so the ability to adjust has been great.

We went for 5 years as we'll have paid off a lot of it by then by overpaying & only have around 3 years to think about. The other part of the mortgage is a lifetime tracker so we've left that as it is.

We've just done the same, plumped for a fixed 5 years deal at 1.99%  (which oddly, is actually 5yrs and 3 months)    -   we've only got 7 years left on the mortgage, so we're going to make overpayments and hopefully be left with very little once the 5 years is up 

We have made sure that the mortgage is portable, just in case we decide that we do want to move, we've no plans to, but who knows what might happen

Got about 9k left on ours

Might pay most of it off, just to be mortgage free

Been mortgage free for 11 years now. Best thing I ever did as I spunked most of my money enjoying myself. Being debt free gives a person a different outlook on life.

• Site Supporter

Having spoke to my mate, we are going for the 2 year fix. Things are a little tight at the moment till the wife goes back to work later on this year so it made sense for us. Fingers crossed interest rates will stay fairly steady for a couple of years then I can get a decent enough longer fix next time. If not, c'est la vie, no one has a crystal ball.

Been mortgage free for 11 years now. Best thing I ever did as I spunked most of my money enjoying myself. Being debt free gives a person a different outlook on life.

I'm sure it does.

I had a meeting with our pensions bloke the other day, he told me to pay as little as I can on my mortgage, and shove as much as I can into my pension (as I get 40% tax relief)  -  on paper, what he was saying made sense......but I told him to fuck off, as I'd rather get my mortgage down as soon as possible. He thought that I was nuts

• Site Supporter

I'm sure it does.

I had a meeting with our pensions bloke the other day, he told me to pay as little as I can on my mortgage, and shove as much as I can into my pension (as I get 40% tax relief)  -  on paper, what he was saying made sense......but I told him to fuck off, as I'd rather get my mortgage down as soon as possible. He thought that I was nuts

Can see where he's coming from, though depends if rates increase dramatically then it could bite you.

Does your missus work out of interest?

I'm sure it does.

I had a meeting with our pensions bloke the other day, he told me to pay as little as I can on my mortgage, and shove as much as I can into my pension (as I get 40% tax relief) - on paper, what he was saying made sense......but I told him to fuck off, as I'd rather get my mortgage down as soon as possible. He thought that I was nuts

I have to agree with your pensions man and it's exactly what i do now, where else could you get a return like that? You can put in a maximum of £40k pa as long as you are left with the minimum wage.

Can see where he's coming from, though depends if rates increase dramatically then it could bite you.

Does your missus work out of interest?

Yes, the Mrs does work

I have to agree with your pensions man and it's exactly what i do now, where else could you get a return like that? You can put in a maximum of £40k pa as long as you are left with the minimum wage.

I don't disagree with my advisor, it does make sense. However, whilst I still owe over £100K on the house, I'd much rather get that down, especially as I might not even reach pension age. I should have it all paid off well before I'm 50, then I can start chucking into my pension....or that's the plan. Being mortgage free by 50 has always been my aim.

Depends how big your mortgage is and how long you will be paying it off for. I'm in the market for a 'forever' home to raise a family in so want as much security as possible in my monthly payment

With that in mind Barclays and HSBC have some good 10 year fixed rate mortgages

The rates were between 2.6% & 3% deposit dependant but they have just increased a little, still decent though for a decade (you can transfer onto another property during the term without a penalty)

I was approved one at the old rate but it's just expired, trying to find a new house but the markets completely bonkers so I'm having to wait

Do you see rate rises in this time frame?

Im talking from my own experience but would consider a fixed one if I felt rates were going to go up a fair bit. I've looked occasionally, but on balance sticking with my base rate + two percent, and freedom to overpay what I want has been good. Particularly with being self employed, monthly take obviously varies so the ability to adjust has been great.

More about managing the risk, really

If rates stay low, then overpay if you can, reducing the term and reducing the potential for massive rises later on

No objection to 10 years either

These are great times to kill mortgages