Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Lanky Trade Terms

bolty58

• Members

I know we have done the Lancashire slang thing before but I came out with a term from back in my Bolton days at work today which made an Aussie's eyebrows shoot up and him ask "WTF?".

I needed an accurate keyway putting in a coupling hub to make assembly as easy as possible and asked him to get it 'spot knacker'. Hadn't a fucking clue what I meant.

Started recalling other terms like when something was perfect it was a 'double mintballer' plus others I can recall. I am sure there'll be plenty of building trade terms (I always remember my b-in-law used the phrase 'throw a bag over it' meaning that's it for today).

On the subject of my bricklaying b-in-law, I recall a (trade) funny incident in the Trotters downstairs bar. A turner from B Ae at Lostock was chewing the fat with him at the bar after a good few pints and was papping on about precision and how he had to turn things to thousandths of an inch. B in law turned round and said "Fuck me, our foreman makes us get things spot on!".

Bob on.

Up t'spuds.

Lefty Loosey Righty tighty.

Pull it like your pulling a nig nog off your mum.

Arse about face.

Get the shit t'barrow not the barrow t'shit.

Measure once cut twice. Measure twice cut once.

Tight as a nuns chuff.

Take a scorrock off that lad.

Just generational differences I suppose. Slang changes over time like language. 

Very true

The whole way that people speak is changing massively, dialects are being killed off, and as this happens, local phraseology vanishes as well 

For instance very rarely would you hear anybody refer to "Bowton" anymore, and you'd be looked at like as though you were an alien by most if you said it as well. You mentioned "Tun Fowt" the other week, and that was probably used a fair bit when you were growing up, now I would imagine that 99% of people living in Bolton wouldn't have a clue what or where you were talking about if you said that to them.

I don't think it's a good thing, I like accents/dialects, I think it's sad that they're slowly being eradicated 

Edited by Sweep

Working in Cov i got treated like some sort of Peter Kay tribute act when i came out with any northern-isms.

The lad i worked with in the stock room used to leave the loading bay door open when popping out for a smook.

Apparently "if tha's goin fer a fag, put wood in'th ole" makes no sense south of the M60.

Other way round i once got dragged out of Tony's Chippy round the corner from my student digs for drunkenly ranting that where i come from a faggot batch is a crate full of gay men not a meatball barm.

This was rife in my Wigan pier/maxims days. All lads from westhougton crew had manc twangs.

Unfortunately, Westhoughton is a bit of an overspill for Manchester

• Site Supporter

owd bloke i served my time with used to determine whether things had to be further in or out/ left or right etc by using towards or away from wigan, no left or right, just "bit more towards wigan side cock"  Used to work on sites all over the place so obviously wigans relative location changed, but " towards wigan was always left or down and away right or up, but he didnt tell me this, i was just expected to know.

that has to be pretty local form of measuring!

Just generational differences I suppose. Slang changes over time like language. I can imagine some strange looks back in the day at terms like E-commerce and Gig economy.

'Bob on' used to be 'spot on'.

Can't beat the derogatory term of "bobbins"

Still used all the time on our sites.

I.e Leigh White was bobbins when it came to heights in Liverpool, haha........

Edited by miamiwhite

Northern Engineering.

The best in the world.

Mind you the Jocks take some beating.

Remember going to Hick Hargreaves for an apprenticeship.

I got it , then had to knock it back due to a better offer.

They asked me to go back down and tried to change my mind.

The guy put a drill bit on the desk and asked me to look at it.

It was minute.

He the explained " An American firm had sent 3 over , claiming they were the smallest drill bits in the world ".

He then told me that Hick Hargreaves had drilled 6 holes in each of them and sent 2 of them back to the Yanks

This was 1974.