Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

42 Years Ago Today

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter

Seven of us  young uns (14/15 at the time) were chased out of the Lever end and ended up walking back to the Village. Then three car loads of Radcliffe Reds stopped on Potters Brow (now Hall Lane) and chased us over the fields to Blackshaw Brook and only gave up when we crossed it. Fucking awful day, but one that remained in the memory bank for later days!

I've just been out and put bleach in it!

i read a Man Utd hoolie book a while ago and although they ran riot at most places that season, they played at Millwall on a midweek night and didn't take anything like the numbers they took to other matches and those that braved the Den generally  got battered.At Old Trafford, Millwall had the front to buy a block of tickets in the home stand but apparantly they were on the receiving end

Edited by jturner

if you ever want to win a fiver in the pub, laws goal was irrelevant

united couldve won and would still have dropped

Great story, though

i read a Man Utd hoolie book a while ago and although they ran riot at most places that season, they played at Millwall on a midweek night and didn't take anything like the numbers they took to other matches and those that braved the Den generally  got battered.At Old Trafford, Millwall had the front to buy a block of tickets in the home stand but apparantly they were on the receiving end

Urban myth me thinks. Even if they had managed to go to OT and buy a block, they were hardly going to be on the receiving end from the type of fan who used to sit in stands back in 1974. 

Edited by bgoefc

Urban myth me thinks. Even if they had managed to go to OT and buy a block, they were hardly going to be on the receiving end from the type of fan who used to sit in stands back in 1974.

I'd think Millwall would have just gone on the Stretford end like they came in the Lever End year or 2 later they got thumped on the Lever End wouldn't fancy their chances in the Stretford End.

Thinking about it, it might have been one of the league games in the late 80s when Millwall went in the Main Stand.I definitely read about Millwall doing that in a Man Utd book or fanzine

I was in the Lever End that day, as a 15 year old, after taking about 1 hour and half to get to the ground after being run all over the place.

I will always remember the fact that large numbers of grown men were chasing teenagers. In the ground it went OK initially but gradually

got worse. Half way through the first half I said to my mate I would sort out what I owed him at half time, a copper turned and said you lot wont last 

till half time. Second half most people tried to get to the edges of the Lever and I eventually got into the Manny Road South. It was a horrible day.