Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Quitting The Rat Race

Salford Trotter

It certainly is. The "bunk" as we knew it in the 60's was situated down towards the Radcliffe Rd to Darcy Lever end of the brook near the old Seven Stars pub. There were several very large trees on a steep bank and around 6 rope swings which resulted in many a broken limb. Our fingering used to take place amongst the waste paper bales in the storage shed of the mill. :)

I migrated to that bit under the bridge in the dip past 7 Stars as a mid teen.  My brother's mate broke his arm falling off a massive rope swing down there.

They've been built over now but the old tracks were still intact in some parts leading up to the railway bridge at Bradley Fold.  Many a day as I got older did I long for that line to still be in service . . . 

I also remember potting every window on an old Capri that was parked at the back of that Garden centre with a mate . . . :shiftyninja:

This area is indeed older than the bit up my end. The landscaping finished some way short of the bridge at the bottom of the dip, near where castle builders merchants was.

Its full of deer now, back of little lever school etc, but some of the shit coming out of potters hill is frightening!

Not been down for years but last time I did (prob about 15 years ago) they had cleared a lot of the trees and overgrowth away and sanitised it all with paths.

Good about the deer - there were always signs round there but I never saw nowt.  Two mates reckoned they saw one down back of Ladyshore canal though; I always maintained they were talking pure bollocks.

I've nearly hit a couple when driving down here, rampant they are.

Prob chrome then

As you drove down towards caravan land it was on the exposed muddy bank on the right

Aye.  Grim.

It was only in 91 when we started LL school that they let us play on the pitches at the back.

My brothers year played somewhere in Farnworth for 2 years.

Thought it had all cleared up?

• Site Supporter

I used to spend every day in those fields..

want to go back for a walk but i'd probably be upset by how it has changed... Used to have dens etc, i doubt kids these days do that type of thing..

I remember finding a ditched dirt bike once !

• Site Supporter

want to go back for a walk but i'd probably be upset by how it has changed... Used to have dens etc, i doubt kids these days do that type of thing..

The newish estate (boundary drive) has changed the area, but in fairness it is far more wooded than before and birdlife is far more varied. We made dens too, fortunately my lad and his mate do now.

Litter is the main problem as its popular, but quite a few locals clearing it and volunteers doing some maintenance.

It is a fantastic area now, thanks to the likes of TMGJ and his friends. Wish it had been the jungle that it is now in my youth, then again we had a live paper mill, steam trains, farms etc to explore. There is no sign of the sewerage works that were replaced in the late 60's by a through tunnel they spent a year constructing. We used to fish johnneys out of the inlet as 6 year olds with sticks. We thought they were marvellous white balloons that could stretch when filled with water. We took our proud findings home to show our families and could not understand the  beatings without explanation that followed! :)

Edited by bgoefc

The newish estate (boundary drive) has changed the area, but in fairness it is far more wooded than before and birdlife is far more varied. We made dens too, fortunately my lad and his mate do now.

Litter is the main problem as its popular, but quite a few locals clearing it and volunteers doing some maintenance.

Litter isnt as bad as it used to be. People used to tip all sorts anywhere in those days.

• Site Supporter

When I moved in we wanted to plant some shrubs to stabilise the bank at the bottom of the garden as it borders the stream. Kinell we dug up toy cars, lego- all sorts of crap!

Very much a 70s and 80s thing though it does still go on- folk fly tipping at the back of their garden fence.

Main problem now is food wrappers and drinks containers.

At least when pop bottles had a deposit on them corona bottles didn't readily find their way into bushes.

• Members

You've set my mind at ease then. I'm moving to Oz!

Seriously though, you know that wouldn't be that easy unless I could fulfill certain criteria.

We'll see how things pan out in the next two years with regard to my intentions of living in Prague.

As an at least 51% good BWFC fan (plus plenty more for Hicks and Lambretta's  ;) ), if that becomes more of a reality, let me know if I can offer any help or advice.

Your lad already lives down here doesn't he? Just doing the tour?

• Members

It certainly is. The "bunk" as we knew it in the 60's was situated down towards the Radcliffe Rd to Darcy Lever end of the brook near the old Seven Stars pub. There were several very large trees on a steep bank and around 6 rope swings which resulted in many a broken limb. Our fingering used to take place amongst the waste paper bales in the storage shed of the mill. :)

Bloody hell - this is almost an exact replica of Firwood Fold. We had The Bunk too and fingering classes took place in the back of old van bodies at Southerns Body Works which was close by the path which led to the Jolly Brows (doesn't that sound very Billy Bunter these days?).

Rope swings and injuries too. Spooky.

• Members

I'd move abroad like a shot, but the wife won't entertain it now we've got a young grandson.

I now have three and that is the reason the move back to Europe won't be total. Wife just won't have it.

Have to maintain a pied a terre in Perth.

• Site Supporter

Bloody hell - this is almost an exact replica of Firwood Fold. We had The Bunk too and fingering classes took place in the back of old van bodies at Southerns Body Works which was close by the path which led to the Jolly Brows (doesn't that sound very Billy Bunter these days?).

Rope swings and injuries too. Spooky.

Your bunk it still the same. A few dirt tracks and some decent sized fish in the lake. Not had the treatment blackshaw brook had so still a quiet spot.

• Members

Your bunk it still the same. A few dirt tracks and some decent sized fish in the lake. Not had the treatment blackshaw brook had so still a quiet spot.

Good to hear - it was always quite an idyllic spot on a nice sunny day.

We used to go ratting with air rifles around there. Try telling that to kids today and they won't believe you :D

Contemplating letting the lad loose with his air rifle on the squirrels. Quite entertaining in a way but vermin in another.

Perhaps ST could set himself up as a squirrel exterminator- go blamming a few when it suits for a few quid.

Your son may have a customer! Bloody vermin all over the parents garden already.

Contemplating letting the lad loose with his air rifle on the squirrels. Quite entertaining in a way but vermin in another.

Perhaps ST could set himself up as a squirrel exterminator- go blamming a few when it suits for a few quid.

Sounds a good way to squirrel away some extra cash????