Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Shit, Thieving Hotels.

Whizz

You have to take trip advisor with a pinch of salt but it's indicative all the same

Generally speaking a picture doesnt lie and the photographs uploaded give you a more candid look at the establishment instead of the usual professional photographs that make the place look like a palace

As you say, it's much easier for folk to go on and have a moan, people feel much less inclined to give positive feedback

I suppose when you find a place with hundreds / thousands of great reviews with very little in the way of bad reviews it means your on the right track

You have to take trip advisor with a pinch of salt but it's indicative all the same

Generally speaking a picture doesnt lie and the photographs uploaded give you a more candid look at the establishment instead of the usual professional photographs that make the place look like a palace

As you say, it's much easier for folk to go on and have a moan, people feel much less inclined to give positive feedback

I suppose when you find a place with hundreds / thousands of great reviews with very little in the way of bad reviews it means your on the right track

Hit the nail on the head, you can never please everybody.

• Members

Does anybody take trip advisor seriously

Yep, they certainly do - especially hotels. I know this from personal experience.National Scooter Rally in Sydney in 2013. Undercroft parking so the two stroke fumes from all the hairdryers set off the fire alarm one morning. Fire brigade came to the obvious false alarm and, upon my return to Perth I discovered a charge of $1500 on my credit card for an alleged bill to the hotel for the false alarm. The cunts just picked any one of our credit cards at random and I was the lucky one.

Quick phone call to NSWFB confirmed that no charge existed and that this was not a policy of theirs.

The cunts still refused to refund me so 50 odd scooterists took to Trip Advisor and slagged the crap out of the place. The hotel contacted me within a fortnight to ask that if they refunded me, would I please call the dogs off as it was affecting their business.

It works.

• Moderators

Aye, another one who checks out online reviews

The picture of a dead rat ruled one out last year

Daft thing was, it was outside the door and there's probs all sorts of vermin knocking about where tourists are catered for

Reminds me of a thread I started a few years back

http://www.wanderersways.com/forum/topic/80615-billing-aquadrome/?hl=billing

Billing Aquadrome

Anyone been?

As I'm often heading down the M1 through Northampton I see signs to this place and always wondered what the hell it was.

Turns out to be a caravan/campsite thing but some of the reviews on Tripadvisor are a hoot.  A selection:

“we had thought we had landed on a set out of shameless”

“Got to our caravan to find a broken down car outside it with no number plates”

“Want your toddler to learn how to swear and shout obscenities? Book now.”

“Luckily he was evicted the next day only to threaten others with being stabbed”

“The swimming pool was closed for both Saturday and Sunday because of vomit”

“The toilet and shower block were no more than disgusting, toilet doors missing, lights not working, toilet roll in just a few cubicles, toilet seats broken and falling off!”

“They claim to have a pancake bar and gourmet burger selection, but when asked where they were - none of the staff knew anything about them. The best they could guess was the menu had been changed. Which brings me onto my next point, the so called restaurant is just the bar in the swimming pool!”

“we decided just go home”

PLEASE SAVE YOUR MONEY, DO NOT GO TO THIS HELL HOLE”

My ex work colleague stayed in a beach front hotel in miami, she read the trip advisor reviews one person had given the hotel 1 star due to sea weed on the (public) beach.

I stayed in a place in Goa, it wasn't The Ritz but it was OK. We got speaking to a Scouse couple who said when they got home they would be giving it just 1 star on Trip Advisor....the reason being the menu was just full of foreign stuff, no proper food.

When I pointed out that as we were in India it was quite likely the menu would be mainly Indian/Curry based they said it shouldn't be if they were taking bookings from English tourists.

They also admitted that they thought Goa was in Africa, didn't realise it was India until they went to get their Visas, otherwise they would never have come as "we don't really like Pakis"

This is what I was alluding to about taking it seriously

I've read reviews where people want five star service for two star prices and suppose people are more likely to complain than praise

I know of one bloke who owns a b&b near me who would buy you a couple of pints if you wrote a favourable review for his place

• Site Supporter

Every review of Greek places says basic

Most follow it with who cares, it's just a bed

But you get the ones, especially yanks who go to town on it

To be fair, plenty want more than basic. But you have to be realistic with the price you pay and the facilities on offer. That is where fucktard reviewers on TripAdvisor harm decent folk trying to earn a living. I always leave a review on TA, mostly just to help other folk out looking for digs like we are.

To be fair, plenty want more than basic. But you have to be realistic with the price you pay and the facilities on offer. That is where fucktard reviewers on TripAdvisor harm decent folk trying to earn a living. I always leave a review on TA, mostly just to help other folk out looking for digs like we are.

I leave loads of reviews on Trip Advisor for the same reason

Use it a lot. It's not difficult to weed out the reviews from those short of a few chromosones. Found some great restaurants and bars in Copenhagen using it so it proved well worthwhile

I stayed in a place in Goa, it wasn't The Ritz but it was OK. We got speaking to a Scouse couple who said when they got home they would be giving it just 1 star on Trip Advisor....the reason being the menu was just full of foreign stuff, no proper food.

When I pointed out that as we were in India it was quite likely the menu would be mainly Indian/Curry based they said it shouldn't be if they were taking bookings from English tourists.

They also admitted that they thought Goa was in Africa, didn't realise it was India until they went to get their Visas, otherwise they would never have come as "we don't really like Pakis"

That is like something they'd write in Benidorm (the TV series).

When we went the second time the Mrs was pregnant and had had enough of Curry after a few days so we found somewhere called Ruffles in Candolim run by a woman from Yorkshire, she was sat there in 34 degree heat eating braising steak, gravy and proper chips. 

Put some pool balls in a long sock, spin them round your head like a helicoptor, run into the hotel, clout anybody in your way, take all the money out of the til in the bar area then run out. Go home with more money than you had before you entered the hotel

Oh and throw the sock containing the pool balls into the sea

Then take the pool balls back to the York where you stole them from

Make sure that there are no bummers in the York before you enter, just in case

Edited by Widnes Two Hats

That is like something they'd write in Benidorm (the TV series).

When we went the second time the Mrs was pregnant and had had enough of Curry after a few days so we found somewhere called Ruffles in Candolim run by a woman from Yorkshire, she was sat there in 34 degree heat eating braising steak, gravy and proper chips.

Ruffles is brilliant. Their steak pudding is something else.