Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

20 Mph

globaldiver

Is 10mph more safe than 20?

Statistics show a person hit at 30 will die 50% of the time.

A person hit at 20 will die just 10% of the time. 

As you go below 20 it is clear that the % survival rate change is minimal. 20 is the best trade off for areas with high pedestrian or child in road potential. 

20 is a practical speed limit for a built up area that minimizes risk of death from accidents. 

• Moderators

As anyone else ever actually run anyone over?

We have, some daft cunt ran out, slipped and went under us, it was awful hearing the bump as front then rear wheels went over, left him in a heap until the ambulance took him away, and the Police took the car away for testing.

I'm not saying going slower would have avoided this, but sure as shit he put a claim in, and ordinarily you'd not have a leg to stand on (bit like him after). Fortunately witnesses, including 2 cops backed us up.

Get a dashcam and stick to the speed limit whatever that may be, and however stupid you (arrogantly) may think that is.

• Site Supporter

Had to do the compulsory annual company car driver assessment a couple of weeks back

Assessor made me do a commentary - not a police-style commentary but just to tell him why I was doing anything that I was doing, more "comments" as I was going along. Fuck me makes you really aware of how bad people drive when you have to voice it out loud

He also did the whole "hazard awareness" driving through built up areas asking me to point the hazards out. Again, commenting on it, the number of fuckers who reversed out of driveways, stepped off pavements, etc without looking was unbelievable

Every fucker out there thinks they are a great driver.

I also did a 'refresher' course at work. It wasn't an annual one but every three years. I also had to do the running commentary but to the Police Driver Standard. One thing that makes a difference, and what my examiners were looking for, is how far up the road you're looking for hazards. Lots of drivers don't look much beyond the space between their bonnet and the boot of the car in front. Then, when it's slightly misty, they're the first to reach for the fog-light switch, even though visibility is around 10 times the distance they're looking for hazards in.

Carlos is dead right though. Every fucker on the road thinks they're a great driver.

Back to the 20mph zones though, there is one stretch through Top O'Th Brow between Harwood and town that is 20 mph on a main road. Annoyingly, even if I slow to around 25 mph, there's always some tosser driving too close to my bumper in the hope I'll speed up a touch.

• Moderators

Back to the 20mph zones though, there is one stretch through Top O'Th Brow between Harwood and town that is 20 mph on a main road. Annoyingly, even if I slow to around 25 mph, there's always some tosser driving too close to my bumper in the hope I'll speed up a touch.

There's that, and the fact that no fucker in Breightmet knows how to use a pedestrian crossing. It's natural selection round there, 3 year olds wandering to the shop on their own.

I saw some cunt coming down South Drive on Monday going to fast they took off! There's not even any bumps...

20 is a practical speed limit for a built up area that minimizes risk of death from accidents. 

This shouldn't really be up for debate.

The high street in our village has just been changed to a 20 zone, it takes me about an extra 5 seconds to get home.....which I think I can live with 

when it's slightly misty, they're the first to reach for the fog-light switch,.

This is a pet hate of mine, especially when the minuscule amount of mist has lifted, and they leave the lights on

I'm also now starting to hate people who now speed up hugely in order to dash through an amber light, some bloke the other day swerved round me and belted through an amber light at about 60mph the other week, it was mental

I also did a 'refresher' course at work. It wasn't an annual one but every three years. I also had to do the running commentary but to the Police Driver Standard. One thing that makes a difference, and what my examiners were looking for, is how far up the road you're looking for hazards. Lots of drivers don't look much beyond the space between their bonnet and the boot of the car in front. Then, when it's slightly misty, they're the first to reach for the fog-light switch, even though visibility is around 10 times the distance they're looking for hazards in.

Carlos is dead right though. Every fucker on the road thinks they're a great driver.

Aye - I'd rather someone was doing 28 in a 20 zone because they're not fixated on their speedo but are actually looking out for kids running out etc.

Not seen one for a bit, but there was a glut of signs that flashed up a smiley face congratulating you on being below the limit. Belting idea - let's divert driver's attention from the road just so they can  feel happy with themselves.

This shouldn't really be up for debate.

The high street in our village has just been changed to a 20 zone, it takes me about an extra 5 seconds to get home.....which I think I can live with 

Look, I don't disagree with 20, on the appropriate streets.

I do disagree with indiscrimate 20mph, in streets which, in my view, it isn't warranted.

I do disagree with indiscrimate 20mph, in streets which, in my view, it isn't warranted.

Yep this. What that driving day did for me was highlight one road in particular near me that is completely unsafe to drive on at 30mph despite that being the limit, yet another which is 20mph being completely free of hazards

In answer to your previous question, yes I do speed occasionally but not deliberately. What the assessor pointed out was that my Merc (yes, Merc Wanker) has a quite small speedo dial so it's not that easy to differentiate between say 30 and 35mph when looking at it. I had the digital display set to the odometer as I have to record my mileage each day. He got me to change it to the speed reading which displays as a big number so I'm much more aware of my actual speed now

I get that, I thought the 20mph areas were only around schools and parks etc

As anyone else ever actually run anyone over?

Not actually run anyone over as in gone over the top of them but as mentioned in earlier post knocked a kid over. Going down down a terraced street, cars parked both side of the road, kid just ran out. All I can remember is the kid just stood there frozen staring at me as I skidded to a halt. Fucking horrible. He fractured his skull when his head hit the floor. Lives with me to this day. He recovered by the way

Earlier when I was about 10, going down Belmont Road, sat in the front passenger seat of my mum's Mini on the way to school, kid ran out from in front of a bus. Launched over the bonnet right in front of me and shattered the windscreen on my side. Hit the windscreen with her bonce but her only injury was a broken pelvis where the front headlight had hit her. Again, I can see it as clear as day even though its 43 years ago as she flew at the windscreen

Maybe both those things are why I don't drive like a knob. It's really not very nice

• Site Supporter

Once bagged me a boxer dog. I was driving through Bromley Cross and the dog was being walked by an old bloke. Problem was, his 3 or 4 year old granddaughter was holding the lead.
Dog saw another dog on the opposite side, near the Co-op, and decided to run over, right under my car. Thank fuck the child let go of the lead but what a wanker the old bloke was for letting her hold it in the first place.
Fortunately, the dog was fully insured so all repairs were covered.

Edinburgh rolling out 20mph limits in city centre slowly. Phase 2 underway. It's a joke. Drive into town at night no one on roads and sat at 20mph .

Being policed loosely but people are being prosecuted. I've a big car currently and it's getting sold as no point anymore.

Can see logic in trying to slow folk down but at night is it necessary to be as low as 20. I think not.

Variable limits the sensible choice

I ran over a kid many years ago

He ran out in front of my car trying to cross the road near my folks' house in a residential area

He was absolutely fine except for minor injuries. I was going pretty slow but was already slowing down as I'd seen him and his mates messing about and kind of weirdly anticipated something.

A week later his Mum brought him around to mine to apologise and thank me for stopping and calling the police & ambulance. Really nice kid.

It absolutely shit me up and since then I've always driven slowly in residential areas except being completely honest maybe at night. I think it's different then to be honest

• Members

At least once those bastards in Brussels stop telling us what we can do we will get rid of these stupid safety conscious laws and we can do whatever speed we feel like

A ridiculous post. We were civilising the world and introducing sensible laws way before the existence of the EU.

Are you trying to say that we have lost the ability to do so after being nannied by some cunt in Brussels for a few years?

We lead, others follow. It will be good to get back to the natural order of things.