Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

20 Mph

globaldiver

I thought we led as well but apparently that's all bollocks as we've been getting told what to do for years now with no say ourselves

Anyway the shackles are coming off now and everyone is expecting the rules to be relaxed so it won't be long until we fuck off such measures as 20 mph zones in residential areas

A ridiculous post. We were civilising the world and introducing sensible laws way before the existence of the EU.

Are you trying to say that we have lost the ability to do so after being nannied by some cunt in Brussels for a few years?

We lead, others follow. It will be good to get back to the natural order of things.

https://theconversation.com/the-ongoing-effect-of-empire-in-britain-67429

Aye definitely. Of course that is only true if you believe 20th century British propaganda rather than an examination of any actual facts!

I'm a fairly cautious driver. People who speed in residential zones are no better than drink drivers for me.

About a month ago I was driving up Cloister Street in Halliwell - which for those who don't know it is a 20 mph street that runs between two larger 30 mph streets - Halliwell Rd and Elgin St. As I was coming up to the T-junction at Elgin St - a kid came running across the road straight in front of me. I managed to hit my brakes and they ran on - completely oblivious to the fact I was even there. Presumably they were just legging it down Elgin St and not stopping at any of the side roads. Now as I've said - I'm a fairly cautious driver anyway - but had Cloister St been a 30 or had I ignored the speed limit like a lot of cretins do when they come down that street - then I would have hit that kid and God knows how that would have ended up.

So I'm all for stricter speed limits - and I'm also all for harsher penalties on those who break them. Drive like a cock - and get your licence revoked in my opinion.

I thought we led as well but apparently that's all bollocks as we've been getting told what to do for years now with no say ourselves

Anyway the shackles are coming off now and everyone is expecting the rules to be relaxed so it won't be long until we fuck off such measures as 20 mph zones in residential areas

Aye can't wait till we can all start smoking in pubs and serving undercooked food covered in E. Coli again.

20 in residential areas is a no brainer; as alluded to above kids will be kids but parents should be ensuring their kids not to run out or play on roads.  Seems the norm in some areas I drive through.

Having them elsewhere seems like another cash cow to me.   I know countless folk in Bristol that have been done doing over 20 on roads they had no idea were 20 limit.

What does get on me tats though are folk who drive at 20 or less when it's clearly a 30 zone

https://theconversation.com/the-ongoing-effect-of-empire-in-britain-67429

Aye definitely. Of course that is only true if you believe 20th century British propaganda rather than an examination of any actual facts!

I'm not having a pop here but that article suggests to me that like in a lot of instances 'blaming' Britain for a countries decline during or post colonisation is a bit too simplistic.

The native Indian Raj rulers were more than happy to sell out to the British for their pieces of silver - problem was it didn't get shared around very fairly.   Same as back here really . . .  India wasn't so much took by force as through 'clever' trade agreements with the elite of the day.

Just as folk forget that most African slaves were sold to Europeans by Africans.  

I'm no fan of imperialism or slavery but feel it's too easy, and wrong, to solely blame Britain for many past transgressions.  Simple greed is the arse

A ridiculous post. We were civilising the world and introducing sensible laws way before the existence of the EU.

Are you trying to say that we have lost the ability to do so after being nannied by some cunt in Brussels for a few years?

We lead, others follow. It will be good to get back to the natural order of things.

In terms of car safety innovations Volvo and Mercedes Benz have been the main pioneers. Seat belts, head restraints, padded dashboards and driver airbags to name a few firsts.

So the natural order is a figment of your imagination.

In terms of car safety innovations Volvo and Mercedes Benz have been the main pioneers. Seat belts, head restraints, padded dashboards and driver airbags to name a few firsts.

So the natural order is a figment of your imagination.

In terms of automobile engineering most of the British output has been shit for years.

We can do the luxury end if the market (although now foreign owned) in jag, rolls Bentley etc.

But when it comes to the standard day to day cars we were shit at it.

I'd say the same rule applies across most things, we produce some fantastic luxury goods, but struggle when it comes to making stuff for Johnny Normal

British = shit.

My Alba cassette player is still working splendidly

As mentioned above though, we do design and manufacture "high end, high quality" as well as anybody. It's the other stuff we're a bit shit at.

We're a nation of people who want stuff as cheap as possible these days, and sadly that's what will prevent large scale manufacturing returning to these shores

We're a nation of people who want stuff as cheap as possible these days, and sadly that's what will prevent large scale manufacturing returning to these shores

If a load of vietnamese kids chained to the radiator can pump hundreds of em out for pennies a time, mass manufacturing the world over is struggling

Who remembers the last generation of British cars? The Morris Marina, Austin Allegro and other classics... The Mini Metro killed the brand off totally, British = shit.

We are exporting more cars than ever and total production is not far short of the all time record.

Just buying a new car for the Mrs

Tempted in by one of these PCP jobs after hearing a few friends picking up some real bargains vs list price on new motors

Looked into it and the new car market has gone bonkers on the back of these PCP's, 80% of all private sales are sold this way apparently which has driven new car sales through the roof

Anyway I got a deal done on a car list price £23k for £17k so it stacked up and the payments seemed reasonable but the guy was sheepish about letting me take the full finance breakdown home. He'd sold it me as 3.5% interest, turns out that's flat rate based on retail price not APR of the sale price

Difference is £3k in interest down the PCP route vs £1,200 with a 3.3% APR bank loan over 5 years - I've told him I would sort myself out and got a bank loan and he's dropped me like a hot potatoe. It's clear they make the margin on the finance and are giving away huge deals on the prices to get people in

I've got the best of both worlds I suppose but I bet plenty have been burnt without knowing on these PCP's, it will be the next PPI scandal you watch!