Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Revival Plan

miamiwhite

With Ken Anderson saying at the players award party on Sunday that play offs could be within reach next season, that represents quite a bold statement given our battered finances.

Teams promoted with little or no finances would be more than happy to consolidate the following season and build from there but his choice of words indicates a plan in place now we're promoted.

Is Mr Anderson giving subtle clues out ?

Cash injection of a reasonable amount coming in ?

Like I say, it's a bold statement to issue under the circumstances, and points to an interesting few weeks ahead.

Who's worth poaching from the teams relegated from the Championship ?

Interesting times ahead folk.

Has anyone else noticed that when we haven't played players like Moxey, Wilkinson, Trotter we've won.

We need to get rid of the dead weight in this club, that also includes, Mark Davies and Pratley.

And get some new young hungry players in.

Some of those will be going.....others are still contracted to the club, so I'm not sure how we are supposed to get rid of them

With regards to young players, how hungry do they need to be?

This league 1 was very poor

Yes the defence has been solid but will have a real test next season to say the least

This.

It's rare that a player in league one drops deep, receives the ball to feet to turn and run at our defence.

Beevers and Wheater had it easy just heading and kicking everything away. Next season will be a real test.

I'd take 21st now.

Watching the game again, that Peterborough midfielder with the mohican hair do has had more assists than any other league one player. Perhaps its people like that we may need to take a bit of a punt on.

Thought he looked decent myself.  And agree, stand out/effective and young L1 players would be a good way to go - you would think!

A dashing of higher level experience, especially up top or attacking midfield wouldn't go a miss either.  Mark Davies is out of contract isn't he (for what use he was)?

Not exactly bill fitting but Vaughan from Bury could be worth a punt.

Re the OP - not sure about his comments but seems like he is looking at the top end rather than the bottom.  What's really going on and the financial state of play is anyone's guess really?!

Edited by madthatter

This.

It's rare that a player in league one drops deep, receives the ball to feet to turn and run at our defence.

Beevers and Wheater had it easy just heading and kicking everything away. Next season will be a real test.

I'd take 21st now.

theres some clinical goal scorers in the championship who are also very pacey

Once that ball is on the deck getting fizzed about wheater especially may struggle

Reading have got to 3rd without having a striker with any pave and they play bloody slow. I think we need to go into next season looking to bully teams rather than trying to beat them on the floor beat them in the air BSA style

Edited by SoberDan

• Moderators

With Ken Anderson saying at the players award party on Sunday that play offs could be within reach next season, that represents quite a bold statement given our battered finances.

Teams promoted with little or no finances would be more than happy to consolidate the following season and build from there but his choice of words indicates a plan in place now we're promoted.

Is Mr Anderson giving subtle clues out ?

Cash injection of a reasonable amount coming in ?

Like I say, it's a bold statement to issue under the circumstances, and points to an interesting few weeks ahead.

Who's worth poaching from the teams relegated from the Championship ?

Interesting times ahead folk.

I think it was more likely high spirits than anything else as opposed to the official objective for 2017/18

he said we weren't selling clough in December then did in January because of the mess off the pitch, until we're sorted off the pitch our ambition has to be, like everyone else, to do as well as we can next season - that might the play offs, it might not, but most will be happy to stay up and improve the squad and the finances

until we're sorted off the pitch our ambition has to be, like everyone else, to do as well as we can next season 

Agreed, it will be good to hopefully get this embargo lifted....and fingers crossed, start to get close to breaking even on a monthly basis - my worry is that the kind of players that we might sign, to help us get to "break even" aren't the sort of players that get you promoted, unless of course you are lucky and unearth some real gems