Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

20 Years

Dr Faustus

Beating united at home. Scoring in the 11th minute and holding on for dear life for the rest of the game.

Celebrated round Bolton town afterwards and ended up in a pool of my own vom at Manchester airport at 1.30am, cleaner shoving his mop in my hand after falling asleep on the last train home.

Good times!

Sunday was right up there.

But Stu's goal vs. Rovers has to be the best feeling I've ever had at a game.

It was made so much better by the fact that a load of inbreds leapt out of the away end and were giving it large to the south end of West Lower whilst being led away by the stewards and coppers when Holden scored and the place erupted. Even the coppers had massive grins on their faces

i think blake scoreed for us and i think it was the south africans debut

This iirc - what a tackle though . . .  I was side on in EL and was amazed a. that he got there after Owen having at least a yard start on him (that'l be 5 yards in a few years ;) ) and b. with the tackle itself.  Purest I've ever seen and left Owen in a hump.

Lovely stuff :)

Tried to find it on Google, no luck but now know where I can get lots of fishing tackle  :D

Edited by madthatter

This iirc - what a tackle though . . .  I was side on in EL and was amazed a. that he got there after Owen having at least a yard start on him (that'l be 5 yards in a few years ;) ) and b. with the tackle itself.  Purest I've ever seen and left Owen in a hump.

Lovely stuff :)

For some reason, I just had a flashback of Djibril Diawara sprinting full pace all the way across the field and absolutely destroying an opposition player. Can't even remember which team it was against, but that tackle always stuck in my mind. It was God awful.

• Moderators

For some reason, I just had a flashback of Djibril Diawara sprinting full pace all the way across the field and absolutely destroying an opposition player. Can't even remember which team it was against, but that tackle always stuck in my mind. It was God awful.

It was v everton and I think that was the game that ended 2-2 with last mimute ricketts equaliser

If not I remember that game anyway because at that time had STS on edge of nobhead corner when away fans were next to us

Was good for giving it large to away fans when we scored (and shit when they did)

That game they'd been giving it all that since they'd gone 2-1 up and when we scored everyone piled towards their end and they piled towards ours "to get us" either side of that corner exit bit

Nowt ever happened but there was some fat scouse bird going mental and everyone was just targeting her with chants, lobbing shit and a probably a bit of gob and stuff

Didn't sit there when stoke made it over

I also loved that 3-1 win against Arsenal. Anelka scored twice, with one of them being an absolutely beauty.

As good as Anelka's finish is for his 1st, Campo's pass for his 2nd is just as good IMO.

Okochas goal against West Ham. Great goal and huge importance.

Eagles and Holdens goals against Rovers get special mentions.

Goals aside, it has to be this moment....

Is there carbon copy of that but on Evra instead?

Opening day v Everton

Bergsson screamer v Barnsley

Frandsen last minute free kick v Huddersfield 2001

Battering West Brom in the play off 2nd leg

Beating Liverpool to stay top of the league after 3 games

Beating Boro to stay up

Leicester 2-2

Beating Newcastle 4-3 with a Gardner free kick

Okocha v West Ham

Okocha taking the piss out of Arsenal

Okocha taking the piss out of city

Okocha and Youri 40 yard 1-2

Okocha free kick v Villa league cup semi

Beating Arsenal 3-1 (Anelka appears)

Beating united 1-0 (Anelka)

Seeing European football (more specifically beating Athletico Madrid and Zenit)

Beating rovers 2-1 (Holden)

Beating Villa 3-2 (2011), because we came from behind and I was sat with my Villa mate who thought it they'd destroy us when they got the penalty, which they missed, when they were 2-1 up.

Beating rovers 2-1 with the Muamba mosaic in the ESL, just 7 days after him collapsing

Beating Wigan 4-0 (even muamba scored)

Then very little until this season - beating Scunny with the last kick of the game was great, but the last game of the season v Peterborough and the promotion and celebrations that went with it are up there amongst the best of the ones I've mentioned before.

The woman in black getting nailed by a pie with an Olympic standard shot put against Blackburn was a particular highlight.

As was the steward getting Kung fu kicked from the top of esl steps. Right in his dish :D

The woman in black getting nailed by a pie with an Olympic standard shot put against Blackburn was a particular highlight.

My wife's finest moment it was a great strike

As was the steward getting Kung fu kicked from the top of esl steps. Right in his dish :D

Opening day v Everton

Bergsson screamer v Barnsley

Frandsen last minute free kick v Huddersfield 2001

Battering West Brom in the play off 2nd leg

Beating Liverpool to stay top of the league after 3 games

Beating Boro to stay up

Leicester 2-2

Beating Newcastle 4-3 with a Gardner free kick

Okocha v West Ham

Okocha taking the piss out of Arsenal

Okocha taking the piss out of city

Okocha and Youri 40 yard 1-2

Okocha free kick v Villa league cup semi

Beating Arsenal 3-1 (Anelka appears)

Beating united 1-0 (Anelka)

Seeing European football (more specifically beating Athletico Madrid and Zenit)

Beating rovers 2-1 (Holden)

Beating Villa 3-2 (2011), because we came from behind and I was sat with my Villa mate who thought it they'd destroy us when they got the penalty, which they missed, when they were 2-1 up.

Beating rovers 2-1 with the Muamba mosaic in the ESL, just 7 days after him collapsing

Beating Wigan 4-0 (even muamba scored)

Then very little until this season - beating Scunny with the last kick of the game was great, but the last game of the season v Peterborough and the promotion and celebrations that went with it are up there amongst the best of the ones I've mentioned before.

Tingles.