Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oil Boiler Replacement

frankietheman

Advice needed. I have a 12 year old domestic oil boiler serviced and maintained under a contract for breakdowns. For the last 3 years the service engineer has mentioned that I should consider a new boiler as the current one is obsolete ( Wall hung Trianco Eurostar 50/70) and parts are difficult to obtain. However the current boiler has only broken down twice in 12 years and runs well. I have been quoted £3650  for a new boiler (retailing for £1600) to slot into my existing system. Any heating engineers out there who could advise as to whether a) the price seems reasonable and B) as the boiler currently runs well, there is no corrosion and the last repair about 2 years ago was undertaken presumably with a generic part I should delay this. Many thanks. 

I only replaced mine at 16 years because I was renting the house out & was between tenants. Wouldn't have replaced it if I was still there because I can manage without heating & hot water. Servicing is cheaper with the new one. Your price seems a bit high.. mine was cheaper (in the S/E) - contract not with British Gas is it? Mine was £2.5k & it took them a day to get the old one out (3 bed / 2 shower/bath townhouse). When we replaced the one in a 2 bed / 1 shower flat, it was less than £1.5k. Used independent contractors that we knew both times.