Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rule, Britannia

kent_white

• Moderators

I think the problem with microsofts programming software(vb.net) and such is that it contains too much paint by number coding procedures. Connecting to a database for example. Real programmers should know how to program in notepad or ms-dos.

There's just too much programing with training wheels.

Worse still is php or more to the point opensource stuff like WordPress or magento

You now have "developers" where if a plug in doesnt do what you need it to they are fucked

When I built websites or apps I hand coded the fucking lot

Edited by ZicoKelly

• Moderators

So Carlos..

which languages would you like to see taught in schools.. Genuine question...

Not languages, but paradigms. Assembler using nmemonics and hex, 3GL like C, Basic, Pascal, to show they are basically doing the same stuff, then OO again to show they do the same stuff, in different ways. That's a software engineer, not like Zico says chucking some open source stuff together, although be fair the people doing that to build solutions earn more than me!

• Members

Boner :D

It's not 2001, jackass.

No need to insult. Don't forget where I live, cuntox. Like the land that time forgot sometimes.

What's the current word then. presumably hard on, woody, stiffy etc are 'so yesterday ducky'.

Been out for a swim with those yuletide logs lately?

• Members

which languages would you like to see taught in schools.. Genuine question...

I used to get into bother at BCGS on this question. Could never understand the logic in learning fucking French when the other half of the world speaks Spanish.

There was never a movement to promote Franglo was there? There certainly was to promote Esperanto, me owd cockermigo.

Second language in British schools should be Spanish unless you want to put forward the argument that it should be Mandarin.

No need to insult. Don't forget where I live, cuntox. Like the land that time forgot sometimes.

What's the current word then. presumably hard on, woody, stiffy etc are 'so yesterday ducky'.

A big massive bolty

Second language in British schools should be Spanish unless you want to put forward the argument that it should be Mandarin.

I'd probably suggest Mandarin is more useful than Spanish............although I do all my business with the Far East, so I would say that. I am, in September, about to start Mandarin classes myself, that should be fun

• Members

I'd probably suggest Mandarin is more useful than Spanish............although I do all my business with the Far East, so I would say that. I am, in September, about to start Mandarin classes myself, that should be fun

Best of luck mate. I know they have been teaching it in schools down here for a while now but few seem to be excelling at it. Seems to be a higher success rate with Bahasa.

Best of luck mate. I know they have been teaching it in schools down here for a while now but few seem to be excelling at it. Seems to be a higher success rate with Bahasa.

I know it's difficult, they can just make noises that we just can't

I only want to learn the very basics, and fuck learning to read or write it....that really is verging on impossible

• Site Supporter

It's not that hard, though you need to keep the strings in tune or they sound awful.

I know it's difficult, they can just make noises that we just can't

I only want to learn the very basics, and fuck learning to read or write it....that really is verging on impossible

Just speak English, but slower and louder. That's the only foreign you need.

• Site Supporter

Is there anything you can't do ?

Yeah.. keep a job more than 6 months

Business teacher by trade..

Ive been tutoring and carpet cleaning..

Got a job back at a school teaching c/s and science..

Had the offer to teach maths.

I applied for 7 teaching jobs and was offered 7 interviews.. they are crying out for decent teachers. I got the 3rd interview I went to having been close in the other two.. one for head of computer science.

I'm one of those that can do whatever job I need to if I can get my head round it and physically able to..

But I can't kick a ball straight..

Ill settle in a job one day.. upsets me that I can't..

• Moderators

Just been talking about this with a bloke who previously worked at a very large IT company. They've gone massive on social media. They use it to profile customers, employees, the lot. All feeding into a massive AI system. They are looking for staff who understand social media, so ignore what I was saying about being technical. Also, I've been saying for years don't post shit on the internet, as they aren't just profiling you but also your family and friends! Scary, but fits in with what we are working on.

• Site Supporter

Just been talking about this with a bloke who previously worked at a very large IT company. They've gone massive on social media. They use it to profile customers, employees, the lot. All feeding into a massive AI system. They are looking for staff who understand social media, so ignore what I was saying about being technical. Also, I've been saying for years don't post shit on the internet, as they aren't just profiling you but also your family and friends! Scary, but fits in with what we are working on.

How terribly sad. And scary.