Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton Playing Fields

Horwich

On the subject of footy fields in Bolton, or anywhere, why is it that they take out the goal posts for the summer?

I know the seasons ended but as kid you wait all year to play on dry pitches that aren't a total quagmire and as soon as they get good, and you have 6 weeks to play on them, they take the posts away? 

On the subject of footy fields in Bolton, or anywhere, why is it that they take out the goal posts for the summer?

I know the seasons ended but as kid you wait all year to play on dry pitches that aren't a total quagmire and as soon as they get good, and you have 6 weeks to play on them, they take the posts away?

It's to discourage overuse of it to allow the pitches to grow a bit and recover, not that they ever seed the bare patches anyway.

• Site Supporter

Pitches are wank in Bolton, utter utter dogshite.

Its part of why our football is wank too.

Its getting difficult all over. Budgets are being cut massively. To get a good pitch with occasional hollow tine/slitting and sanding etc isn't cheap.

It also doesn't help when twats ride motorbikes on them or let their dogs shit all over them. Council can't be blamed for that.

There is a more important underlying point behind this though, the government rightly want the public's health and fitness to improve, however whenever cuts come, one of the first areas to be hit is grounds maintenance. Sounds common sense- its only a bit of grass- but how many of us cut out teeth in football or cricket etc on the nearest bit of amenity grass?

I certainly did, mass games of football etc which led on to keeping a sporting interest in adulthood.

Bloody grass near me now has got tigers in it. Even when its cut its still shite for kicking a ball on and cricket is impossible. Plenty of times I've taken my own mower and cut a strip but its too big to do the whole area.

Perhaps not surprising there are so many fat kids.

The parks pitches near me, down here in the Shires really are grim, covered in dog shit and bald in patches. The changing room facilities are also a massive disgrace, with some of them being condemned at the end of last season.

The only decent facilities these days are the village teams that use the village cricket pitches, they're fantastic, but then they're privately maintained.

we are spending a million upgrading/refurbing the jason kenny centre

its only been up 5 fcuking years

So, big show off arent we great political statement projects at the expense of good, solid, quiet, fitness-improving everyday stuff?

Fancy that

it was only recently (Pablo told me) that they'd named the centre after Jason Kenny.

I suppose that with his name on it, at least the cycle track is decent?

At £34m it ought to be Olympic standard

• Site Supporter

i'd assume it doesnt

not that id necessarily expect it to

With all that equipment, do gyms not make money? Never used one so I wouldn't have a clue- surprised though.

I understand pools aren't great for revenue but presumed overall the place would make some money, if not a fortune.

So, big show off arent we great political statement projects at the expense of good, solid, quiet, fitness-improving everyday stuff?

Fancy that

Seems so. Said for ages you can have plenty of fitness centres etc, but its far easier to have basic facilities and get kids in decent shape early on rather than adults with health issues having to restart fitness work in expensive gyms.

Worryingly our young in has pe twice a week at school. 50 minutes a time. That includes getting changed before and after, getting to next class and teacher organising them. He reckons they get 20-30 mins exercise. Pretty sure we used to get an afternoon so could get a full game of football in.

• Site Supporter

And pitches in Brazil are better?

Rugby pitch on Saturday.. grass came upto ankles..

Some sunday league pitches are awful and have huge divots etc..

3g and 4g is bad on ankles and knees... hurts like hell tackling too..