Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Driving In France. Toll Roads Etc.

Spider

• Site Supporter

I'm going to France, me, I am next month.

I'm driving from Calais down to Bergerac.

I've tried to get info about the toll roads but it's a right fucking faff on most of the websites I've been on.

So I turn with a due sense of weariness and dread to you lot, world-wise travellers that you are.

What's the crack? Will I get puled over by gendarmes and be given a severe bumming every 50 miles by a copper smoking a Gitanes?

Or do I just sail through the tolls and wave a contactless card at the booth?

Also, any tips on hotels near Calais for the return journey that won't involve me being murdered by migrants.

Thanks .

Tolls are dead easy they don't do contactless but it's quick and easy with credit or debit card, if you head for Rouen then take A10 A71 & A20 you get a long stretch on a fast Road with no tolls. We always stay at St Quentin on the way back it's 5 minutes off the motorway always use a little hotel called Le Florence 1 hour 30 minutes from the tunnel and you can get a cheap fill up at the supermarket on the way back to the expressway.

• Site Supporter

Tolls are dead easy they don't do contactless but it's quick and easy with credit or debit card, if you head for Rouen then take A10 A71 & A20 you get a long stretch on a fast Road with no tolls. We always stay at St Quentin on the way back it's 5 minutes off the motorway always use a little hotel called Le Florence 1 hour 30 minutes from the tunnel and you can get a cheap fill up at the supermarket on the way back to the expressway.

Cheers Nobster

I'll have a look at that.

I read that you can pay up front for the tolls, or as you leave the road?

How busy do the toll roads get in early August? Says it's an 8/9 hour drive to Bergerac, should I expect it to take longer?

We drove round Europe on our honeymoon last year covering a large part of France (Italian boarder through to Biarritz then up the coast through La Rochelle to La Harve for the ferry)

First things first make sure you've got the travel kit for your car, need disposable breathalyser, hi viz jacket, GB sticker for your number plate etc- RAC do a full kit for about £25

In terms of tolls the French ones are painful compared to Italy. In Italy you get a ticket when you get on and pay when you get off even if it's 200miles. In France you can be going through toll booths every 10 miles on some roads, whilst the shorter journeys are only a couple of euros it would be much easier the Italian way so you only have to go through one booth at the end

I assume your going to be in a U.K. right hand drive? This could be an issue if your on your own as you need to pay out the passenger window

They all have change and take cards etc however I'm sure they have a tag lane similar the the M6 Toll, if I were you I'd look at getting your vehicle set up for this so you can fly through without messing about each time....

Just looked and Sanef Tolling can set you up for this so it's billed to your card / bank account

on the same web it is saying that new rules have come into place from March just gone meaning any car entering some city centres (Paris, Lyon & Grenoble so far) need to display a sticker in the window detailing emissions. Not sure if you plan on going through Paris but it's good to be aware of these bits

Finally have you confirmed Calais as point of entry? I found the Portsmouth to La Harve ferry great, only takes 5 hours and saves you some journey time both this end (vs getting to Kent) and at the other side if your heading to Bergerac

Enjoy the trip, we loved driving around Europe

• Site Supporter

We drove round Europe on our honeymoon last year covering a large part of France (Italian boarder through to Biarritz then up the coast through La Rochelle to La Harve for the ferry)

First things first make sure you've got the travel kit for your car, need disposable breathalyser, hi viz jacket, GB sticker for your number plate etc- RAC do a full kit for about £25

In terms of tolls the French ones are painful compared to Italy. In Italy you get a ticket when you get on and pay when you get off even if it's 200miles. In France you can be going through toll booths every 10 miles on some roads, whilst the shorter journeys are only a couple of euros it would be much easier the Italian way so you only have to go through one booth at the end

I assume your going to be in a U.K. right hand drive? This could be an issue if your on your own as you need to pay out the passenger window

They all have change and take cards etc however I'm sure they have a tag lane similar the the M6 Toll, if I were you I'd look at getting your vehicle set up for this so you can fly through without messing about each time....

Just looked and Sanef Tolling can set you up for this so it's billed to your card / bank account

on the same web it is saying that new rules have come into place from March just gone meaning any car entering some city centres (Paris, Lyon & Grenoble so far) need to display a sticker in the window detailing emissions. Not sure if you plan on going through Paris but it's good to be aware of these bits

Finally have you confirmed Calais as point of entry? I found the Portsmouth to La Harve ferry great, only takes 5 hours and saves you some journey time both this end (vs getting to Kent) and at the other side if your heading to Bergerac

Top stuff, cheers Birch

Will look at the ferry now...

Birch has covered most of the points.

The Sanef toll tag is great we have had one for years but it has an initial charge plus a fee of 5 euro's per annum if you use it, if it is a one off trip just use a credit card its the most cost effective. You don't have the option to pre pay unless it has changed recently. The emissions sticker did come into force in March but you should not need is as long as you go round Paris which I would recommend as it is a nightmare and your insurance wont cover driving there you wont go anywhere near the other places.

If you can avoid driving on a Saturday you will be OK as that is the main changeover day so is always busy with big queues at the tolls can be up to 30 minute wait, Sundays are really quiet as waggons are not allowed on the roads so always a good day for travelling.

Via Michelin is normally a good guide for how long is will take but if you work on an average speed of 120km per hour you wont be far out. The ferry from Portsmouth to Le Harve is OK but your on the ferry for a lot longer and your restricted to the time of the sailing it tends to arrive mid afternoon as against Eurotunnel you can get a really early start.

Top stuff, cheers Birch

Will look at the ferry now...

If Pompey to La Harve doesn't fit your required times then look at other routes as well

I've done the Pompey to Caen overnight sleeper before now, ferry sets off 10pm, head down (we had a little cabin - didn't cost the earth) and up at 6am from Caen

The ferrys are decent enough, I watched a couple of the Euros quarter finals and got pissed last year

Edited by birch-chorley

If it's a company/leased car you need a VE103 Vehicle on Hire Certificate

UK motorists travelling abroad in a UK registered vehicle must carry its original Vehicle Registration Document (VRD).

If your vehicle is hired or leased, the hire/lease company will not usually release the original VRD.

The Vehicle on Hire Certificate is the normal alternative, which can be carried by the driver in lieu of the original VRD

Edited by Gonk

Getting into Kent?

Honestly never had any bother - other than the Dartford crossing at rush hour.

But as Kent says, a nice meal and a beer soon sorts out that little problem.

Used to be 4 hours or there abouts. Do well to get to Dover in 6 now