Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

November 26Th-30Th 1977.

SatanGreavsie

One for th'owd 'uns here.

Who else was at the two games over those 5 days at Burnden? Home to Spurs in the League and then Leeds in League Cup midweek. Combined attendance 66k according to the Fulham last game of the season programme.  Hell's teeth there were some sights them two days! 

As for Spurs, we played them 4 times that year (2 in league and cup game plus replay)  - combined crowd 158k. Anyone make all four?

Who else was at the two games over those 5 days at Burnden? Home to Spurs in the League and then Leeds in League Cup midweek. Combined attendance 66k according to the Fulham last game of the season programme. Hell's teeth there were some sights them two days!

As for Spurs, we played them 4 times that year (2 in league and cup game plus replay) - combined crowd 158k. Anyone make all four?

I bet my dad did. He ran the supporters club travel and football team that year I'll ask him. Edited by gonzo

Pretty sure I did all of 4 of them (plus the Leeds cup game) - only 9 at the time. Did the aways on travel club. Remember getting grief off Spurs fans at the league game at WHL as for some reason we were in their end. Highlight was the late winner at Burnden - Roy Greaves or John Ritson at the Embankmemt I think?

Edited by nottinghamtrotter

Definitely all four for me. I was 17 in 1977. For the FA cup tie, away, someone told me to get the train to Seven Sisters and walk from there. It was miles (or seemed like it). Took me ages.

The league game at Bolton was won by Roy Greaves in the last minute (I think). My cousins had a habit of leaving early (to avoid traffic blah, blah, blah.) Earlier in the game Neil McNab scored for Spurs but it was disallowed - in all the noise and mayhem, we took the free kick quickly and the game carried on. My cousins thought the goal stood and so when they left early were convinced we had lost 0-1. We score and win 1-0. They hear the result on the car radio and think it is a mistake. Serves you right for leaving early!

I remember Leeds looking like a quality side.

Pretty sure I did all of 4 of them (plus the Leeds cup game) - only 9 at the time. Did the aways on travel club. Remember getting grief off Spurs fans at the league game at WHL as for some reason we were in their end. Highlight was the late winner at Burnden - Roy Greaves or John Ritson at the Embankmemt I think?

Roy Greaves scored.

Place went mental.

Had a few too many beers , got home .

Asked mum to wake me up for MOTD.

Woke up following morning.

She said she had tried. Gutted never seen the goal.

No bloody catch up in them days. Kids today don't know their born !!!

Edited by embankment

I bet my dad did. He ran the supporters club travel and football team that year I'll ask him.

Would love to hear your old fellas memories of those Spurs away games, did the home games and was glued to the radio for the away games seem to remember the atmosphere at Spurs was crackling they were genuinely massive games, with electric atmospheres. 

Would love to hear your old fellas memories of those Spurs away games, did the home games and was glued to the radio for the away games seem to remember the atmosphere at Spurs was crackling they were genuinely massive games, with electric atmospheres.

Always remember my dad telling me about Spurs being the first team to play in a silky kit at burnden instead of the old cloth numbers. All yellow kit under the floodlights at burnden.

Always loved bedtime stories as a kid haha

Always remember my dad telling me about Spurs being the first team to play in a silky kit at burnden instead of the old cloth numbers. All yellow kit under the floodlights at burnden.

Always loved bedtime stories as a kid haha

Spurs had an Admiral kit made out of that rough nylon that everyone but adidas used in that era. It was adidas kit for Forest and Ipswich that I remember as the only "silk shirts" of 77-78.

Sorry to trashy a childhood memory Goonzie.

• Moderators

Spurs had an Admiral kit made out of that rough nylon that everyone but adidas used in that era. It was adidas kit for Forest and Ipswich that I remember as the only "silk shirts" of 77-78.

spurs had that yellow with black shoulders, didnt they

later replaced with a similar design in silky stuff made by le coq

You bastard.

You'll be telling me my uncle Fred wasn't really a sausage hiding magician next.

Who else was at the two games over those 5 days at Burnden? Home to Spurs in the League and then Leeds in League Cup midweek. Combined attendance 66k according to the Fulham last game of the season programme.  Hell's teeth there were some sights them two days! 

As for Spurs, we played them 4 times that year (2 in league and cup game plus replay)  - combined crowd 158k. Anyone make all four?

Aye, did all four :hi:

The 2-2 at their place was a great game but a bit scary after the game as the coaches were miles away and had to walk around some tower blocks in the dark.

The 1-0 lose towards the end of the season was annoying as hell, all I heard throughout the game was 'come on u spurrsss' from a young girl with her dad. Mind you it was our fault for being in the home end.

The Roy Greaves goal from the Spurs game is on this DVD along with other goals from the 60s and 70s. Bolton 2 Luton 1 from the 77/78 promotion season is also on there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Match-Day-Lancashire-Hotshots-VHS/dp/B00008T59Z

I was at that game as a very young lad. Remember the Greaves goal and the huge crowd.

I wasn't at the Leeds game. 

Do remember us playing Leeds at home in Div 1 the season after. They went 0-1 up in the first half but we came back and won 3-1. The celebrations of the Leeds fans after they scored were a picture. To this day I don't think I've seen such wild celebrations.

• Members

Did all of them and that 1-0 away loss to Spurs was a gut wrencher.

If I remember correctly, when John Ritson scored that extra time free kick at the Embankment end, it was the spur (excuse the pun) for their lot to try and invade the Burnden paddock through the open gates (which was the norm towards the end of the game in them days). Any military strategist will tell you he who holds the higher ground has a huge advantage. They got fucking slaughtered on those ramps. People use the term bloodbath loosely. I have never seen as much blood on the floor as I saw that night. They wouldn't ever have been game enough to try that again.