Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Charlie Gard

gonzo

• Moderators

i think i know what id be saying if it was my child - but until you are there, fcuk knows

i know what i think about charlie gard - i think hes never going to have any quality of life and theres every chance hes suffering and will get worse

he should be allowed to diue

his parents are using very emotive language, often utter bollocks

when it was decided he wouldnt be allowed to leave the hospital

'he will be so upset, we promised him that we would sit together and watch the tv'

they are not JUST caring parents, theyre playing a game

in my opinion

• Site Supporter

One of my employees had to turn his childs machine off, I've never experienced anything more heartbreaking.

My view is that as a parent you would absolutely do everything you can to protect your child and this will somewhat cloud your judgment.

• Moderators

I think if there is a 10% chance of improvement, it must be explored

not just for him but for any other baby born this way

I don't have kids and I believe that's the right way to go

if I did, I'd be even more determined it was right, no doubt

• Moderators

if that 10% still leaves him in pain?

• Moderators

As a parent, I would take the Doctors advice, would have to be 99% chance or so of no hope.

how many doctors would you want to ask before you believed one?

lots of medics have said the best thing for the child is to let him go

i suspect its also the best thing for the parents to who are currently clinging onto a dream

• Site Supporter

This. The pain issue is interesting; obviously no one would want a child to be in pain, but what does that actually mean?

Plenty of folk do live with pain, so its really difficult to decide. I don't see parents playing a game, I see desperate parents hoping for a miracle- if there's a chance of the Americans being able to help then explore it.

• Members

I think he should be given every chance if the american doc cant help then the life support should be withdrawn and help given to see he does not suffer in any way. 

100% with you and i am no 'right to lifer'. I know what I feel for my son and if there was a 1% chance I would want to give it that chance.

• Moderators

100% with you and i am no 'right to lifer'. I know what I feel for my son and if there was a 1% chance I would want to give it that chance.

and you wouldn't care what it was costing which is understandable (in this case i dont think its a financial issue as its the clinicians saying theres no prospect of an improvement and there folk offering finance anyway)

if there weren't outside finances, im of the opinion that finance has to play a part and has to be a consideration

something has to give

• Moderators

if that 10% still leaves him in pain?

Well you have to have the treatment to find out

I don't think it should be switched off till every possibility has been explored

doctors told my dad for over a year he had depression when he actually has Parkinsons, and they had him on all sorts that was making him worse, it was only my folks persistence and challenging those making the decisions that eventually got the right diagnosis and an up turn in his health being on the right meds

they get things wrong sometimes so I dont blame the parents when there is an alternative 2nd opinion

One of my employees had to turn his childs machine off, I've never experienced anything more heartbreaking.

My view is that as a parent you would absolutely do everything you can to protect your child and this will somewhat cloud your judgment.

I almost blurted out reading that.

That would be the lowest ebb I could possibly imagine right now.  Poor souls.

• Site Supporter

Aren't they just letting their emotions run away with themselves? I've seen normally upstanding pillars of society almost lose it at a football match when a referee gives (in their opinion) a wrong decision. I'd imagine you could multiply that level of emotion 10, 20, 100 fold in this situation,

Are the folk doing the protesting any different than Swampy at roadworks? Latching onto the very next thing he can protest about. I don't actually know what actual emotional links these protesters have with the situation other than just feeling sorry for the family. That in itself (in my opinion) makes them "just another protestation group" who have no actual links to whatever it is they're protesting about.

• Members

There's a difference between protesting something and sending death threats tbf Micky

You are, of course, correct but you should probably make yourself aware of some of the antics of the extreme left - even to members of the parliamentary Labour Party. Chris Bryant for example.

Off limits?

With the parents 100%

Some milestones to help relate and support that:

When Erin was born her Apgar score was zero.

At 1 week old we were told that if she didn't show signs of improvement overnight we had to have a conversation about turning off her machine.

Her first school told us she would never understand the spoken word and it's meaning.

I think anyone on here who has met Erin would tell You, she is one of the happiest kids you will ever have the pleasure of meeting and despite everything brings joy to a room and communicates her needs and feelings without too much problem albeit non-verbally.

She will be 14 in September, who is to say that Charlie Gard should not be given that opportunity, if he was your kid you would be fighting in the same way his parents are.