Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Spearing

White Shirt

Lad I know through mates son had 2 year contract at Man U was released 2-3 years ago he was offered 2k a week at Crewe which he turned down never got another pro offer he played couple of games with us on Leverhulme at premier 5s think he's in Aussie now aged 23-24 playing non league. So you don't always get what you think your worth.

Think I played against him playing for Tomski's team . Quite a big lad? He fucking annihilated us.

Spearing has made a statement saying 'massive thanks for his time at the club but time to move on'.

Interestingly he says 'things were taken out of his hands during discussions on a new contract', possibly a reference to the new conditions of the embargo ?

Spearing has made a statement saying 'massive thanks for his time at the club but time to move on'.

Interestingly he says 'things were taken out of his hands during discussions on a new contract', possibly a reference to the new conditions of the embargo ?

I doubt it's really to with the embargo, I think it's as simple as he wants more than we can offer, and somebody else has offered that.

You ain't going to get JS for £10k PW never mind £5k PW.

Surprised he hasn't found a club unless his expectations are unrealistic.

It will be interesting to see how much we miss him.

Like others though if we can sort out the wage issues then I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back.

Amazed he's not training with us.

I reckon there will be plenty of offers of employment for him, with most, if not all those interested offering him more than we can/will

I'd not be surprised to see him pitch up at Preston or Wigan or the like

I appreciate it's not the be all and end all but was spearing m o m at any games last season?

He was top drawer at Coventry away when we sent the entire team up front and he stayed back and made about 4 last Man challenges.

Has he signed for anyone yet?

Hope nobody offers his a deal and we put two fingers up to him; greedy get

Harsh IMO.

If we really are limited to £4.5k pet week I have no doubt at all he'll get more than that elsewhere.

Put yourself in his shoes. He's not a Bolton lad, he's a bloke earning a living.

Taking his wages (that the club offered him) out of the equation, he did okay for us. Time for all concerned to move on.

Harsh IMO.

If we really are limited to £4.5k pet week I have no doubt at all he'll get more than that elsewhere.

Put yourself in his shoes. He's not a Bolton lad, he's a bloke earning a living.

Taking his wages (that the club offered him) out of the equation, he did okay for us. Time for all concerned to move on.

Thought Spearing turned down our terms a couple of weeks ago, way before the 4.5K cap came in? He could have been offered 10K a week for all we know and still turned it down. Seems strange how he's not got fixed up yet.

Thought Spearing turned down our terms a couple of weeks ago, way before the 4.5K cap came in? He could have been offered 10K a week for all we know and still turned it down. Seems strange how he's not got fixed up yet.

He may have been rejecting other offers until he was certain he wasn't staying here.

5yrs is a long time for a footballer at one club nowadays.

I'd still have him back and he'd walk straight into the 1st XI

He turned down our best offer weeks ago.

His agent said they were looking for terms similar to the ones he just had.

Thought they wanted a deal based on what he was on last time in the Championship? Presumably last year's must have been a reduction given relegation. Edited by Leyther_Matt

Thought they wanted a deal based on what he was on last time in the Championship? Presumably last year's must have been a reduction given relegation.

No, I don't think there were any relegation clauses in contracts, which contributed heavily to us being in the shit.

• 2 years later...
  • Site Supporter

I’ve nothing against Spearing tbf. I won’t give him or any of the other ex-Wanderers a good or bad reception. They all did ok for us (unless Ginger Taylor is still there?)

My minor gripe with Spearing though was he was neither a hard man nor did he take a game by the scruff of the neck. An ok player who worked hard