Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Spearing

White Shirt

I remember they used to have Bolton wanderers pot gnomes in the club shop.

there was one that was stood with his foot on the ball, about to make a pass.

i joked to my lad that it was spearing! 

I then realised that there’s no way it was him coz he looked as if he was gonna pass the ball forwards...

shit bastard

Edited by Ruba Mustafa
Spello

41 minutes ago, Ruba Mustafa said:

I then realised that there’s no way it was him coz he looked as if he was gonna pass the ball forwards...

shit bastard

That pot gnome was bigger than spearing. 😂

3 hours ago, Ruba Mustafa said:

Is this @rsehole playing tomoro? 

Hes shit.

i always said he was shit.

cant wait to give him some stick.

Don't understand this kind of thinking.

The bloke never gave less than his best and played his part in getting us promoted.  Why would you give him stick? It's a no from me

4 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Don't understand this kind of thinking.

The bloke never gave less than his best and played his part in getting us promoted.  Why would you give him stick? It's a no from me

I agree. He wasn't brilliant but was a fairly decent, hard-working midfielder who put effort in every time.  We've had much worse players.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Ruba Mustafa said:

shit bastard

really not getting this, he's a decent player at this level and always gave his best effort

My irritation about Spearing is probably a little unfair on the Scouse dwarf, but here goes...

The guy had the opportunity to become a bit of a cult hero at the club in a similar way that David Wheater did. He was club captain and we were skint (again!) and the deal with Liverpool was £x down and then some bonus payments, notably £100k for every season in his first four years with us that he played more than 23 (ie 50% of the season) games.

This led to him suddenly going from regular starter and captain for 23 games then being farmed out.

The season we went down from the Championship, we knew Spearing couldn't play after Christmas due to this clause and that Wheater could only play to February before a £5k a game in his contract kicked in.

Wheater chose to forego the bonus in order to carry on playing and it could be argued that in the closing stages of that season, he was one of the very few to actually try to save us.

We couldn't get Spearing out on loan, so for the sake of 100k, he sat in the stands drawing £28k a week. My thoughts are that he could have paid Liverpool himself, effectively reducing his own salary to £24k. By the time you take out the tax & NI he'd have saved, he wouldn't actually have been that much out of pocket and would have been able to play.

I know that he shouldn't have been expected to do that, but if he really wanted to play...

Wheater gave up £70k and Shola Ameobi offered to play for free. Ibiza Jay chose to sit in the stands.

An interesting variation on a rumour I'd heard at the time which said much the same, only that Wheater gave up his win bonuses only which given that we were absolute shit at the time isn't the action of a great hero. The truth is probably somewhere in between

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

He's the best pointer ever to have played the game. And he still thinks he's Stevie Gerrard, he's more Nicky Brookman or Warren Joyce.

No way does he point better than Kevin Nolan.

31 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

All day long, Nolans pointing sometimes had some substance to it, Spearing points because he's  addicted to pointing 👉

Shouldnt even mention Nolan and Spearing in same sentence. Nolan scored some cracking goals for us in a fantastic team in the PREM! And Europe. And still some fans give him shit.

Spearing on the other hand is a pygmy who always and still does think hes way better than he actually is. Thinking back he only stood out for us coz we had gone proper shit. And theres Trafs reason as well- bollox to the scouse gnome